Rolling damage bonus when multi-targeting

mica

Rolling damage bonus when multi-targeting

Postby mica » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:45 am

A character hits 3 targets (all the same) and gets an outstanding success. Does he roll the 2BD for each hit or just once and apply to all?

Coup de Grace, All-out-Attack, Relentless etc - if multiple rolls, do these apply to all rolls?

A character hits 2 targets (beast and beast rider). Due to armour/toughness, it is an outstanding against the rider, good against the beast. Does he roll twice, 2db for the rider, 1db for the beast? Alternatively does he roll one die which is counted against the beast and rider then a second which is only counted against the rider?

Wotan

Re: Rolling damage bonus when multi-targeting

Postby Wotan » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:04 am

mica wrote:A character hits 3 targets (all the same) and gets an outstanding success. Does he roll the 2BD for each hit or just once and apply to all?

The RAW is that the damage BD are rolled for each target.
Personally, when dealing with Mobs of identical enemies, who've taken the same amount of damage, I just get my PCs to roll one set of damage BD & apply that to all targets to save a bit of time. That's firmly in the realms of House Rules though.

Coup de Grace, All-out-Attack, Relentless etc - if multiple rolls, do these apply to all rolls?

Coup de Grace applies to all damage rolls for that action. If you're All-out attacking there's no reason not to All-out Attack all targets (you're V Vulnerable anyway) so a character with Relentless would be rolling its extra BD against all targets. A character with Sniper should probably only get to apply that BD to the target they Aimed at, even if they're multi-targeting other targets too.

I'm sure that's not an exhaustive list of potential sources of extra BD, but I'd guess it's usually going to be fairly clear whether it applies to all targets or just some (one) targets

A character hits 2 targets (beast and beast rider). Due to armour/toughness, it is an outstanding against the rider, good against the beast. Does he roll twice, 2db for the rider, 1db for the beast? Alternatively does he roll one die which is counted against the beast and rider then a second which is only counted against the rider?

The RAW is to roll separate damage for each target. Even with my houserule (above) I get PCs to roll separate damage rolls as soon as there's any difference in damage, or pretty much anytime I'm not dealing with identical Mob members who've taken the same level of damage.

As an aside, Armour/Toughness has no bearing on a hit's success level, that's all down to the targets Defenses (Dodge, Melee, or Unarmed.) Armour/Toughness only comes into the equation when calculating how much damage is inflicted. (I expect you know this, just saying for the sake of clarity.) :)
Glitchfinder General

mica

Postby mica » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:30 am

I must have missed the paragraph that stated roll all damage separately (and having had another look, still can't find it).

As an aside,
Yeah, meant dodge/melee/whatever. Played oTorg years and years ago but only 2 sessions of this so still getting up to speed and misquoting terminology. Going from glass-jawed-ninja and stompy-giants to BD - is a great move. That said, definitely not enough up's for villains in the drama deck and it is still stacked in favour of heroes going first in dramatic scenes. Also splitting the destiny/drama deck means that there is now no chance of destiny cards being skipped due to them being used as drama cards. Be nice to see some Drama lines that dumped the top few destiny cards into the discard pile (opponent fails, seize initiative and second chance are invariably in pools by the end of the first round).

Wotan

Postby Wotan » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:45 am

mica wrote:I must have missed the paragraph that stated roll all damage separately (and having had another look, still can't find it).

I'm looking at the Extended Example of combat, on P 128. In the 3rd para of the right hand column, Mara multi-targets 3 gospog & rolls separate damage BD for each. :)
Glitchfinder General

mica

Postby mica » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:48 am

gotcha, cheers. I skim read that as I wasn't expecting to see anything that wasn't in the rules.

fougerec

Postby fougerec » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:32 pm

Aim specifies - When the character uses Aim (page 119) on a single ranged attack against a single foe, she adds an extra bonus die to the damage.

Single attack against a single foe :)

ZorValachan

Postby ZorValachan » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:28 pm

fougerec wrote:Aim specifies - When the character uses Aim (page 119) on a single ranged attack against a single foe, she adds an extra bonus die to the damage.

Single attack against a single foe :)

No, aim adds +4 to hit.
The Sniper perk gives the +1BD when aiming.
- Leamon Crafton Jr.
Infiniverse Exchange author:

The Paraverse: An entire alternate Cosmverse
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/237607/

The Knights of the Road: Archtypes designed as a Storm Knight group
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/228365/

fougerec

Postby fougerec » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:38 pm

Right. My bad.

Serves me right for taking too high a multi-action penalty :)

ZorValachan

Postby ZorValachan » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:58 am

fougerec wrote:Right. My bad.

Serves me right for taking too high a multi-action penalty :)

No Problem. it's just that whenever I see something that I -know- is wrong I stop, pause go to the book and look it up because I start questioning my own "rightness", lol.

I have very extensive Old Torg knowledge and really have learned that there are lots of subtle changes that can easily be overlooked. So that makes me question even the totally new Torg Eternity things that I have memorized, :P
- Leamon Crafton Jr.
Infiniverse Exchange author:

The Paraverse: An entire alternate Cosmverse
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/237607/

The Knights of the Road: Archtypes designed as a Storm Knight group
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/228365/

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”