Beta Primers are out

TorgHacker

Beta Primers are out

Postby TorgHacker » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:08 pm

Just an FYI, the Beta Player and GM Primers are out.

I suspect many probably will find the Perks interesting. "By popular demand!" even. :-)
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Wakshani

Re: Beta Primers are out

Postby Wakshani » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:59 am

*rubs hands together gleefully*

MWU-hahahaaaaa…

ahem

JohnBiles

Postby JohnBiles » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:26 am

Have now read the Player Primer for Beta Chars, some interesting Perks. One of my players is going to love the one where you can make Soak rolls for your plane.

Also, being able to requisition an air strike is cool.

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:22 am

Happiness for me will be when we start our first Beta adventure
► Show Spoiler
and then explain that I have leveled up too.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Fuzzy

Postby Fuzzy » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:30 am

Nice book - it's kind a mini-Core-Earth realm book, actually, which is really useful. Several of our players will like it. Some initial questions and feedback:

1) The extended rules for requisitioning from the Delphi Council are great and help reflect what Social 23 means.

"So, we're a really valuable team on a critical mission... do you think, maybe, we can get some sniper support to defend that ridge?"

2) There are now a number of perks that grant +1 attribute. Presumably, this could be achieved just by adding to an attribute directly, but at least in the early game (when perks are less expensive), it's cheaper to buy the perk.

Player asked: Does this perk allow a character to increase beyond the normal racial limit? It does not say no, and so the presumption is yes, but I wanted to confirm? This would further differentiate the perk in late game, when buying a perk could cost more than 26 XP (yes, that's 11+ perks, but it will eventually happen)

3) I have to say, I have a reaction to the flash grenade. It's basically the spell Stun, but (with a M203) is has medium (vs. large) area, MUCH longer range, does not require a perk, is easy to get, and appears to affect undead/mechanicals. It also allows user to choose to make enemy vulnerable OR stymied. Also, you can multi-target (which you can't do with the spell). I guess my question is, why doesn't it just impose the blinded condition for a round on Outstanding, which would help differentiate? This is a continuation of the tech/magic/spirit balance discussions.

Staffan

Postby Staffan » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:48 am

It's nice to see a preview of the higher-level game, though I have some issues with it:

A minor quibble with Pep Talk: why use the target's Spirit as the DN? Generally, buffs either work automatically or use a fixed DN (usually the standard 10).

Also, I'm pretty sure Gamma clearance has a typo, saying Storm Knights are now eligible for Beta Level perks.

The Beta clearance makes a big deal about "pushing", but I can't find any references to what it is - is it just a thing that handwaves why Beta SKs can know pick up more powerful perks? I also note that there's no general relaxation of the rules of max 5 adds in a skill - is it expected that after a while, SKs will start pumping their stats instead? Or just get more mileage out of Beta perks?

Shayd3000

Postby Shayd3000 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:06 am

I hate to sound like a fan boy, but these primers are really nice. I kind of wish you had done something similar for Alpha Clearance (see my Balancing Act thread).

I also like the new gear cards, BUT am slightly dissapointed that:
1) No blank Cards for us to print and fill in
2) No Weapons or Armor (then again, it does say "gear" so...)

George
“99% of failures come from people who make excuses.”
― George Washington

Shayd3000

Postby Shayd3000 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:47 am

I noticed that some of the Perks do not have "Beta Clearance" listed as a prerequisite. Is this intentional?

George
“99% of failures come from people who make excuses.”
― George Washington

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:57 pm

JohnBiles wrote:Have now read the Player Primer for Beta Chars, some interesting Perks. One of my players is going to love the one where you can make Soak rolls for your plane.

Also, being able to requisition an air strike is cool.

Yeah, that one was fun.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:57 pm

Shayd3000 wrote:I noticed that some of the Perks do not have "Beta Clearance" listed as a prerequisite. Is this intentional?

George

Yes.

There's stuff in the Primer (and in future similar products) that are actually things that we had to cut from other books.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”