How much does an 'Up' do?

Gargoyle

Re: How much does an 'Up' do?

Postby Gargoyle » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:28 am

Wotan wrote:
Ultimately a player is never forced to play their Flurry card. So, as long as the player knows how the mechanics interact beforehand, I don't see a problem with some conditions effecting the Flurry action (other than remembering which conditions effect it & which don't.)

This is true, but playing a Flurry card is supposed to be a good thing, not bad. I'm also curious what the official answer is, but my thinking is to keep things consistent and make the card useful all the time and speed things up as I could just see them confused about this one and it slowing things down or forgetting that it could have a bad effect like an extra Fatigue, just say it doesn't cause bad effects to repeat on their second turn. Basically just saying err on the side of the players here IMO.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Wotan

Postby Wotan » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:47 am

Gargoyle wrote:
Wotan wrote:
Ultimately a player is never forced to play their Flurry card. So, as long as the player knows how the mechanics interact beforehand, I don't see a problem with some conditions effecting the Flurry action (other than remembering which conditions effect it & which don't.)

This is true, but playing a Flurry card is supposed to be a good thing, not bad. I'm also curious what the official answer is, but my thinking is to keep things consistent and make the card useful all the time and speed things up as I could just see them confused about this one and it slowing things down or forgetting that it could have a bad effect like an extra Fatigue, just say it doesn't cause bad effects to repeat on their second turn. Basically just saying err on the side of the players here IMO.

Yeah, keeping things simple is certainly a compelling argument. In practice I'm not a fan of any mechanic which is so fiddly that I have to stop the game to check the rules anytime it comes up.
Having said that, I'm not sure it's too hard to remember that Fatigue & Confused would apply to a Flurry & the others wouldn't (& it seems fair in light of Up working with Flurry Cards), but if it was an issue, in play, I'd be inclined to do as you suggest & just rule in the PCs favour. :)
Non-denominational "Devil's Advocate"

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:15 am

A Flurry grants an entire new turn, for all effects. Does an effect tigger because of a turn? Then it triggers. If that would be bad for you, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Big Lurker

Postby Big Lurker » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:09 am

I'm not saying it would be smart to play the Flurry, but some people act before thinking... :roll:

Blightcrawler

Postby Blightcrawler » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:23 pm

Gargoyle wrote:This is true, but playing a Flurry card is supposed to be a good thing, not bad.

Same could be said of all the cards, but you can play them un-optimally and in effect waste them. Although none really hit you like Fatigue might. And, it really only applies to Fatigue. Confused prevents card play (unless you have a Perk that lets you play directly from your hand, I suppose), and the others don't touch it. Because Flurry gives a full extra turn, it's usually great (and Stymied is a good example of benefits beyond the extra action), but I'm not suprised there are some edge cases that make it a poor choice.

Basically just saying err on the side of the players here IMO.

Best rule when in doubt!

Big Lurker wrote:I'm not saying it would be smart to play the Flurry, but some people act before thinking... :roll:

Which is why it's always good for the GM to check with the player to make sure they're doing what they think they're doing. And if acting before thinking is a character trait, spending a Flurry at a bad time is certainly worth a Possibility!

Stewbacca

Postby Stewbacca » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:00 pm

The real question should be about the effects of Updog!

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:43 pm

Blightcrawler wrote:
Gargoyle wrote:This is true, but playing a Flurry card is supposed to be a good thing, not bad.

Same could be said of all the cards, but you can play them un-optimally and in effect waste them. Although none really hit you like Fatigue might. And, it really only applies to Fatigue. Confused prevents card play (unless you have a Perk that lets you play directly from your hand, I suppose), and the others don't touch it. Because Flurry gives a full extra turn, it's usually great (and Stymied is a good example of benefits beyond the extra action), but I'm not suprised there are some edge cases that make it a poor choice.

Yeah, my concern was that it's worse than sub-optimal in this edge case, it's potentially detrimental. And that's fine. I like the consistency of the way the RAW is, and if it results in a Storm Knight knocking themselves out from exertion sometimes I can live with that.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Atama

Postby Atama » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:35 pm

Stewbacca wrote:The real question should be about the effects of Updog!

What’s Updog?

(Okay someone had to say it. ;))
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

fougerec

Postby fougerec » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:21 pm

Atama wrote:

What’s Updog?

Not gonna lie, part of the appeal of this forum are things like this :)

Wotan

Postby Wotan » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:07 pm

fougerec wrote:
Atama wrote:

What’s Updog?

Not gonna lie, part of the appeal of this forum are things like this :)

Such egregious wordplay deserves pun-ishment!
Non-denominational "Devil's Advocate"

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”