Losing last Reality Skill Add

mica

Losing last Reality Skill Add

Postby mica » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:28 am

When a character loses their last reality skill add they automatically transform.

The skill description:
Off Topic
Reality (Spirit)
The reality skill allows Storm Knights to resist the transformation that accompanies invading axioms, and remain connected to her own cosm. Having adds in reality allows Soaking Damage (page 117), Reconnection (page 179), and other world-bending abilities described in the Reality section (page 176). Reality may not be used unskilled, but all Storm Knights begin with at least one add in the skill.

Is there a difference between not having a skill and having a skill at zero adds?

The above description states that you need adds in the skill to use it in order to soak rather than having the skill (even at zero adds).
Are zero adds in reality skill characters still classed as a storm knight rather than an Ord.
Off Topic
World-bending abilities
- this would suggest the use of possibilities to enhance skill rolls and perks requiring activation. So, can character with zero adds in Reality skill even use possibilities?

The Core Rules states that Storm Knights are intrinsically different/chosen and as such I would presume that having zero adds does not make the character an Ord but the mechanics imply that having zero adds means a character can no longer use possibilities until they gain at least one add in reality.

Gargoyle

Re: Losing last Reality Skill Add

Postby Gargoyle » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:36 am

There was a thread on this: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=2691&p=25581

As a result of that, this was added to the FAQ. http://www.ulisses-us.com/TorgEternityW ... ?title=FAQ
Page 180. Transformation. Change the second sentence to "If a character has only one add in reality, she has no choice and transforms to the new reality.

So Storm Knights can't lose that last add.

I would guess that this means in general, if you don't have any adds in a skill for some reason, you're unskilled. But I'm not sure there are any circumstances in the game that would put you at zero adds.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

mica

Postby mica » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:58 am

Cool - that makes more sense than having a skill with no adds...

ZorValachan

Postby ZorValachan » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:24 am

In Old Torg, i let players have all skills on their template as being skilled, even if they did not have adds, but TE Archtypes don't have long lists, so it doesn't quite work. If a GM wanted, a house rule of chosing 3-5 skills at 0 might work. Basically they reroll on 10s and 20s, instead of only 10s.
- Leamon Crafton Jr.
Infiniverse Exchange author:

The Paraverse: An entire alternate Cosmverse
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/237607/

The Knights of the Road: Archtypes designed as a Storm Knight group
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/228365/

Aenno

Postby Aenno » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:24 pm

I tried both approaches and still believe in what I'm said in old thread: it should possible to lose last point in reality. That means character can't use a skill (so no soaking or reconnection), but still able to spend possibilities on rolls or do anything he don't need to roll reality. And, of course, he is able to spend XP on reality, because he is reality-rated after all.
I argue fiercely, but I never believed disagreement should be capital offence.

I'm editing my posts often. English isn't my native language, and I'm doing a lot of mistakes; that, with thoughtful rereading, I often found and want to edit.

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”