Subplot Cards

mica

Subplot Cards

Postby mica » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:13 am

I vaguely recall in oTorg the player played them (Nemesis, Romance etc) and it was the GM's discretion as to whether they got the poss or incorporated into the adventure.

How do GM's deal with them? Do you always allow the player to decide if they just want the possibility?

Gargoyle

Re: Subplot Cards

Postby Gargoyle » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:30 am

Since they can discard a card at the end of a scene to draw a new one, I just treat as any other card. They play it as written or exchange it when the can or whatever. The Nemesis says on it they can turn it in for one, Romance doesn't. Edit: Misremembered this, but basically still the same, I just play them as written.
Last edited by Gargoyle on Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

fougerec

Postby fougerec » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:51 am

Since some players don't want to RP out a Romance or deal with a Nemesis or whatever I let them decide if they're getting the possibility or playing the card. However if a card is played I take the option that it has the possibility of being recurring.

mica

Postby mica » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:29 am

From the PDF

Nemesis
Play to make a particular reality-rated character a personal enemy of your Storm Knight. You and the foe both gain 3 Possibilities.Alternatively, discard for a Possibility and draw a new card.

Romance
Play to encourage an amorous relationship between your character and a nonplayer character. Gain three Possibilities. You may spend Possibilities for this character. Alternatively, discard for a Possibility and draw a new card.

wrt 'You may spend Possibilities for this character' in romance - does this refer to the nonplayer character? Seems a superfluous sentence if it does not.

Appears to be able to discard it at any time not just end of scene.
If you have masterplan you can then pick it up again and discard immediately for a second possibility.

Count Thalim

Postby Count Thalim » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:40 pm

mica wrote:Romance
Play to encourage an amorous relationship between your character and a nonplayer character. Gain three Possibilities. You may spend Possibilities for this character. Alternatively, discard for a Possibility and draw a new card.

wrt 'You may spend Possibilities for this character' in romance - does this refer to the nonplayer character? Seems a superfluous sentence if it does not.

The way I read this one is that you can now spend possibilities on behalf of the NPC. Allowing them to soak damage, achieve greater results, etc...
Basically it allows a deeper connection to the NPC as part of the mechanics as well as via roleplay.
Per Sanguis Ad Astra

Atama

Postby Atama » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:57 pm

I think I said this elsewhere but I once played a Nemesis card just because I liked the villain, we'd already gone toe-to-toe before, and I thought having a personal arch-enemy would be cool. Mechanically it would have been better to turn it in for a Possibility, instead I gave both myself and him 3 of them which helped him more than me (I think he was just about out of them at that point).

But I don’t regret it. He’s now a constant foe sending goons at us and it’s great to have an ongoing enemy rather than just another obstacle to beat up to get through a scene.
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

Matthew Surridge

Postby Matthew Surridge » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:26 pm

Question about the Romance cards: in the old game, players couldn't choose who the Romance subplot would ensnare (which made for some fun stories). Am I right in reading the new one as giving the player the choice of who the Romance affects, but not necessarily how? Like, "encourage an amorous relationship between your character and a nonplayer character" seems to be different from "NPC takes a shine to your character."
Humankind cannot bear very much reality
— T.S. Eliot, who didn't know the half of it

My Torg Eternity review, part one and part two

Atama

Postby Atama » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:52 pm

Matthew Surridge wrote:Question about the Romance cards: in the old game, players couldn't choose who the Romance subplot would ensnare (which made for some fun stories). Am I right in reading the new one as giving the player the choice of who the Romance affects, but not necessarily how? Like, "encourage an amorous relationship between your character and a nonplayer character" seems to be different from "NPC takes a shine to your character."

We’ve always done it in our group as a collaboration between the player and GM, and it has to have some plausibility as well. Maybe the love interest is put in danger specifically so the PC can save him/her.
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

Count Thalim

Postby Count Thalim » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:07 pm

I normally allow the player to make the initial call when they play the subplot card, then work out how I am going to use it to cause havoc for them...

My group are fairly well versed in the use of these sort of cards. One of us liked the original TORG idea so much she worked them into dozens of her later games with variants for the different systems/settings over the years.

I was banned from using more than one a session of a card where I took another players damage. Didn't stop me constantly trying to get my hands on them. That character was a bit of a masochist at times... :P
Per Sanguis Ad Astra

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”