Goon Numbers Too Low

fougerec

Re: Goon Numbers Too Low

Postby fougerec » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:53 pm

utsukushi wrote:But my second thought is that the other point to the smaller battles is that it helps the PCs ramp up for the big one. It gives them the chance to earn Possibilities, and most importantly, to cycle through cards and set their hands up better.

If they're regularly just knocking the mooks down in the first round, they're not giving themselves the chance to do that, and they're probably having a harder time of it when they get to the big fights later on.

This! I think I'm going to actually quote this to my players. So far they've been pretty lucky but also haven't encountered anything truly dangerous. Not "boss level" per se. The few times they have things have gone less well for them because they're not prepped. Many of them haven't clued in that "Attack" doesn't show up on the Drama Deck with nearly the same frequency as Interactions, so while the cleric is doing different things and reaping cards the others are "Fireball", "Shoot it" etc.

Rendghast

Postby Rendghast » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:39 pm

Atama wrote:
Greymarch2000 wrote:There is no Focus in this edition, and most of the math works very differently. It's kind of Apples to Oranges tbh.

Exactly, you almost could cite D&D rules for comparison. :P

wait.... your seriously telling me that they released both living lands and asyle as first day settings WITHOUT a spell/miracle list to support npc casters?

please tell me your joking....

FrankG

Postby FrankG » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:56 pm

Rendghast wrote:wait.... your seriously telling me that they released both living lands and asyle as first day settings WITHOUT a spell/miracle list to support npc casters?

No, they are just saying that the miracle system has changed. There is no longer the concept of Faith to call a Miracle and Focus to power the Miracle. Now there is just the Faith skill and it is used the same way one would use a magic skill. There is a nice list of Miracles and an even nicer list of Spells in the Core Rulebook. The Living Land Sourcebook adds a lot of miracles to the list.

The loss of Focus is the number 1 thing that makes me sad from Torg Eternity. Thankfully, there has been too much stuff making me happy for me to notice too much.
Check out my new adventure: The Cape May Tribe - A three act adventure set in The Living Land

FatPob

Postby FatPob » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:43 am

Possibility is so easy to get in TORGe, flip a card, there's a possibility, cosm, here's some more. Need to borrow one, no worries you have the possibility mule (a character with perk or transfer desitny card) as they have loads, there you go, woop another cosm card and a stack of possibility.

Smashing possibility to nail the bad guys before they breathe doesn't affect players hands that badly. In a 4-5 character game the players are going to have 16-20 destiny cards which should give a decent spread of options for the players. 4-5 Cosm cards which can give from 1 possibility to every player to 3 to a single player.
Add Hero, drama and the "subplot" cards (romance, nemesis, martyr) fro another possibility and you are looking at around 25-30 possibility on average.

So as a player I really don't see possibility as a resource that should be overly stressed about and burning a possibility for a "Hulk Smash" is a no brainer.

Maybe when we get to Beta level and the GM has Possibility goons could become more interesting.

fougerec

Postby fougerec » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:39 am

FatPob wrote:Possibility is so easy to get in TORGe, flip a card, there's a possibility, cosm, here's some more. Need to borrow one, no worries you have the possibility mule (a character with perk or transfer desitny card) as they have loads, there you go, woop another cosm card and a stack of possibility.

I'm not sure it's quite as easy as you make it out to be. I don't remember a "flip a card, there's a possibility", cosm cards are dependent on the cosm (and the players playing them - some players aren't keen on things that are detrimental). There's Grant Possibilities as a Perk and I think one Transfer card.

The most Possibilities anyone at my table's had at once is 6 but he acquired them via the In the Crossfire card and spent time rescuing civilians rather than attacking. Since he's the most combat capable character it made the rest of the encounter more difficult for the rest :)

FatPob wrote:
So as a player I really don't see possibility as a resource that should be overly stressed about and burning a possibility for a "Hulk Smash" is a no brainer.

Maybe when we get to Beta level and the GM has Possibility goons could become more interesting.

Goons aren't meant to be interesting. They're meant to be set decorations to make the heroes look good. It allows for action movie like scenes where a single hero goes through 15 or 20 goons to get to the main boss. They're a narrative and pacing tool and not much more.

Atama

Postby Atama » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:29 pm

fougerec wrote:
FatPob wrote:Possibility is so easy to get in TORGe, flip a card, there's a possibility, cosm, here's some more. Need to borrow one, no worries you have the possibility mule (a character with perk or transfer desitny card) as they have loads, there you go, woop another cosm card and a stack of possibility.

I'm not sure it's quite as easy as you make it out to be. I don't remember a "flip a card, there's a possibility".

Hero, Drama, Romance, Martyr, Nemesis, those are cards off the top of my head that either give a possibility (if you turn them in instead of playing them) or can be used as possibilities. It’s not hard to collect them in a fight. Oh, there are also cards that let you give possibilities to everyone in the party (can’t remember the card name, and no these aren’t Cosm cards).
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:23 pm

Inspire will also let each player gain a Possibility if they so choose. And of course, Master Plan can work on any of these.

But it's not literally getting a Possibility with each card flip. I think that was hyperbole to indicate that Possibilities are plentiful in the deck. And that's not including whatever Eternity Shards the group may end up carrying.

But it's the ubiquity of Possibilities and cards that lets me unleash on the group.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

FrankG

Postby FrankG » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:31 pm

I'd also like to point out that a player does not get a card every turn. They have to succeed at an approved action or get cards through other card play.
Check out my new adventure: The Cape May Tribe - A three act adventure set in The Living Land

fougerec

Postby fougerec » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:59 pm

FrankG wrote:I'd also like to point out that a player does not get a card every turn. They have to succeed at an approved action or get cards through other card play.

Yup. One of my players tries different tactics. Others, not so much. They're starting to realize that Attack does not come up nearly as often as the interactions do. :)

Savioronedge

Postby Savioronedge » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:55 am

If you had watched Dynaman you would know that lizardmen are the little guys the Senpai heroes kick the crap out of until the main villain throws a boss at them.

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”