Has eterntiy solved the armor disconnect problem?

Rendghast

Has eterntiy solved the armor disconnect problem?

Postby Rendghast » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:38 pm

One of the problems in classical Torg was that since you never rolled for armor (particularly if it did not have fatigue) there was no way to disconnect simply from having tech or magic axiom inappropriate armor on. It was entirely normal to see Core Earthers wearing Irimesh or Plexiflex armor enchanted to +10 or higher by the party wizard. 4 point contradiction and it can never happen because no roll.

Has this been fixed or is it still open to abuse?

Staffan

Re: Has eterntiy solved the armor disconnect problem?

Postby Staffan » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:53 pm

Rendghast wrote:One of the problems in classical Torg was that since you never rolled for armor (particularly if it did not have fatigue) there was no way to disconnect simply from having tech or magic axiom inappropriate armor on. It was entirely normal to see Core Earthers wearing Irimesh or Plexiflex armor enchanted to +10 or higher by the party wizard. 4 point contradiction and it can never happen because no roll.

Has this been fixed or is it still open to abuse?

It is assumed that Storm Knights when away from home are disconnecting and reconnecting a bunch "off-screen" due to things like armor and thinking about money. But in actual scenes where it matters, that sort of thing is handled by "Surge" on the Drama Deck's conflict line, which force a contradiction check for everyone on that side. In most cases, that's going to be a 1-case contradiction, but if you're using stuff that's too advanced for both you and the area that's a 4-case.

Blightcrawler

Postby Blightcrawler » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:54 pm

Rendghast wrote:It was entirely normal to see Core Earthers wearing Irimesh or Plexiflex armor enchanted to +10 or higher by the party wizard.

I'd be really surprised if PCs would be capable of enchanting any item as high as +10 in Torg:E, especially when limited by Cyberpapacy's axiom. That is to say, Aylsish wizards might be able to fairly easily make magic items, but they're also likely to be limited to their own native axioms.

At least, that's how magic items currently work. In Aylse, with a great roll or cosm card, there's the possibility of having one of a PC's possessions become enchanted. In those cases, the item must fit within the native Tech axiom (or transform to it). There's no rules (yet) for player made magic items, but it seems likely to be similar to avoid just this sort of thing.

Rabbitball

Postby Rabbitball » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:31 pm

Blightcrawler wrote:
Rendghast wrote:It was entirely normal to see Core Earthers wearing Irimesh or Plexiflex armor enchanted to +10 or higher by the party wizard.

I'd be really surprised if PCs would be capable of enchanting any item as high as +10 in Torg:E, especially when limited by Cyberpapacy's axiom. That is to say, Aylsish wizards might be able to fairly easily make magic items, but they're also likely to be limited to their own native axioms.

At least, that's how magic items currently work. In Aylse, with a great roll or cosm card, there's the possibility of having one of a PC's possessions become enchanted. In those cases, the item must fit within the native Tech axiom (or transform to it). There's no rules (yet) for player made magic items, but it seems likely to be similar to avoid just this sort of thing.

Well, as the person who is writing the rules for enchanting things, I can tell you that there will be rules, but whether they get published or not remains to be seen. As currently designed, some enchantments have hard limits as to how far you can go with them (no changing your armor value to whatever conjuration total you can create with a Possibility, Hero, Drama, and 3 Willpower), and all enchantments act as cost multipliers, so you not only have to worry about making your total, but also coming up with the increasingly prohibitive cost of magical or holy materials.
Dominick Riesland, aka Rabbitball
Co-author, Aysle Sourcebook for Torg Eternity
Creator of the Cosmversal Grimoire
"Those who will not follow are doomed to lead"—Anarchist, Magic: the Gathering

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:07 pm

"all enchantments act as cost multipliers,"

Money is not a factor in Torg Eternity as is most games, so I hope this is referring to the Difficulty Number not money.

I would limit only having one enchantment per item and just have a difficulties based on the axiom of the spell/miracle you want to make permanent.
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

utsukushi

Postby utsukushi » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:44 pm

The thought about money is a good one, though in Eternity's case money is an increasing Difficulty Number, it's just on a Streetwise or Persuasion roll. And for limiting enchantments, that might actually work better than just increasing the difficulty for the magic skill, and would certainly work better than putting a financial cost on it in other kinds of games where the player could just save up. That kind of short-term acquisition is really exactly what Eternity's money system is best at, I think. (And it opens up the option of a Perk that might give a bonus to those rolls, for someone who wants to be able to procure rarer ingredients for more powerful enchantments. Maybe with a follow-up Perk that would require that one and at least one Darkness Perk that could allow even rarer black market ingredients; that's, like, super thematic, and without making it explicit, would tend to allow more powerful enchantments in NPC hands.)

Otherwise... honestly, I mean, I also have ideas to how I'd do it, and it doesn't sound like they're what Rabbitball is putting together, but one thing I do know about Rabbitball is that he has been up to his neck in Torg's magic system for a long time. Whatever he's doing, I trust that it'll be well thought out.

The other thing I know about him is that too many of the people working on this game have names starting with D. Seriously, you guys need like, an A, or something.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:49 pm

Well, there is a G, a B, and a C currently or previously have done writing. :-)
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:48 am

We need a Zed.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”