Regarding the Living Land Backer Archetypes

mystic101

Re: Regarding the Living Land Backer Archetypes

Postby mystic101 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:14 pm

pkitty wrote:Bring the Beats

(snip)

Let's ignore the archetype himself for a moment. Pretend this isn't being taken by a DJ -- why does the Perk require you to play music? How does this music let you better manipulate reality?

Well, I can only guess as to the author's intent, but I'd say that you need to play music for the same reason that a D&D Bard needs to play music. That's just how bards work. I wouldn't bat an eye if an Ayslish bard-type character took this, or a cyberpunk headbanger. Music + inspiration + being possibility rated has power.

In fact, I think it'd be super-fun for some groups of players out-of-game. If, when a fight started, one character was busting out with the original "Eye of the Tiger", or Pat Benatar's "Invincible", or "Bad to the Bone", or "We Need a Hero". It could be an amusing little party game that everyone gets a chuckle out of, especially if it's thematically appropriate to the scene. Fighting mummies in a dusty Nile crypt? "Another One Bites the Dust!"

Seems fun to me, anyway.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:27 pm

Might also be a Lucio fan from Overwatch. :-)

<earworm>

I need a hero!
I'm holding out for a hero 'til the end of the night
He's gotta be strong
And he's gotta be fast
And he's gotta be fresh from the fight

</earworm>

#Sorry #NotSorry :lol:
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Wotan

Postby Wotan » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:09 pm

TorgHacker wrote:Might also be a Lucio fan from Overwatch. :-)

<earworm>

I need a hero!
I'm holding out for a hero 'til the end of the night
He's gotta be strong
And he's gotta be fast
And he's gotta be fresh from the fight

</earworm>

#Sorry #NotSorry :lol:

Gaaah! It's stuck in my brain now! :lol:
Non-denominational "Devil's Advocate"

Savioronedge

Postby Savioronedge » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:49 pm

Point of Reference:

Many SCA fighters use music in their training/fighting styles. One I had frequent discussion with classified songs as Fighting/Non-Fighting. Also, the best time I ever achieved in the 2-mile run (military requirement) was listening to "Pressure" by Billy Joel.

There are plenty of other RL examples; Music is an incredibly powerful motivator.

Atama

Postby Atama » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:06 pm

When I trained in Kung Fu my Sifu mixed in Capoeira with our classic training. You pretty much have to have music playing to do that. It’s about moving to a particular rythm. Of course I always pictured some situation where a person was in a physical confrontation and was helpless because no music was playing... :mrgreen:
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:18 pm

Atama wrote:When I trained in Kung Fu my Sifu mixed in Capoeira with our classic training. You pretty much have to have music playing to do that. It’s about moving to a particular rythm. Of course I always pictured some situation where a person was in a physical confrontation and was helpless because no music was playing... :mrgreen:

Northern Preying Mantis style is also rhythm based. I asked a teacher of that style in Hong Kong what the one defining characteristic was that made it different from other traditional Chinese martial arts, and his response was rhythm. More specifically, every third "beat" was a more powerful attack... talking about forms specifically. In the book "Liar, Cheat, Thief", the author teaches swordplay drills and one of the things she mentions is that her teacher always had music playing. The best fencer in our school also does ballroom dancing and even though he's 60 I have dealt him a "killing blow" fewer than five times in several years of sparring. I believe there is definitely a connection there with music that can enhance real world martial arts training and performance.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

mystic101

Postby mystic101 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:24 pm

Savioronedge wrote:Point of Reference:

Many SCA fighters use music in their training/fighting styles. One I had frequent discussion with classified songs as Fighting/Non-Fighting. Also, the best time I ever achieved in the 2-mile run (military requirement) was listening to "Pressure" by Billy Joel.

There are plenty of other RL examples; Music is an incredibly powerful motivator.

I had a biomechanics professor who was running an experiment back when I was in college. He'd hooked up some people to biometric sensors and then put them on a treadmill to run, all while listening to music. He discovered that they all unconsciously synced their steps to whatever music he was playing, and that he could manipulate their performance by changing what songs they heard. Interesting stuff.

mystic101

Postby mystic101 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:35 pm

Atama wrote:When I trained in Kung Fu my Sifu mixed in Capoeira with our classic training. You pretty much have to have music playing to do that. It’s about moving to a particular rythm. Of course I always pictured some situation where a person was in a physical confrontation and was helpless because no music was playing... :mrgreen:

That reminds me of an episode of Teen Titans: Go!, where Cyborg is deriving all of his confidence and determination from a song called The Night Begins to Shine. It becomes a psychological crutch, and he finds that he can't do any superheroics at all unless it's playing in the background. The rest of the Teen Titans get captured, and he easily overcomes various obstacles to get to them, all while listening to the song. Then, while facing the main antagonist at the end, the villain destroys his stereo. Cyborg gets smacked to the floor, seemingly defeated, but then the captured Titans all start humming and singing the song. Cyborg starts to slowly rise to his feet as the villain's hitting him repeatedly, like wrestlers do sometimes when they're pretending to be encouraged by the cheering of the crowd, but the blows don't affect him. You know, his head's flinching back with each hit, but he's unfazed. Then he finishes standing up and knocks out the villain. Heh. The anti-moral of the story was: Psychological crutches are good! And Cyborg's never getting rid of his.

And, of course, I guess, that music has power! Which is what we're all talking about. :)

darrell

Postby darrell » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:12 am

TorgHacker wrote:If, by the time these hit actual print, we find that it's too powerful, we'll revise.

Speaking of which; what are they actually due to see print in please?

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:35 pm

darrell wrote:
TorgHacker wrote:If, by the time these hit actual print, we find that it's too powerful, we'll revise.

Speaking of which; what are they actually due to see print in please?

No idea. I can see a potential future product where we combine all the backer archetypes into a package (assuming that's what we're doing for all the cosms). But I have no idea when we'd be doing that.

With respect to the Perks, again, I don't know. It depends on when it's appropriate to put them into a product individually.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”