Electro ray question

Sarren

Electro ray question

Postby Sarren » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:48 pm

In just a standard writing from the book of electro ray without limitations or anything. Can i use the Electro ray as a ranged power (using energy weapon skill) and then use it as an unarmed strike (using unarmed strike skill) when up close and personal (possibly using whirlwind attack [one charge per target i assume]), or would is still use the energy weapon skill?

utsukushi

Re: Electro ray question

Postby utsukushi » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:03 am

Strictly by the book, it just uses Energy Weapons. ("or Dexterity", but that's as the default if you don't have Energy Weapons.) Using it in melee is basically covered in the "Firearms in Melee" section (p122).

There, it says that if your Electro Ray comes from something too big to use in melee (probably a viable Minor Limitation) then you just can't. But if it's something smaller - like it just comes from your hands, say - then you can absolutely use it in melee, and they will defend with their Melee Combat or Unarmed Combat as usual... but you still use Energy Weapons to attack.

Basically, even if you're re-skinning it as, say, a Chi Punch, which lets your Pulp Martial Artist hit people from 20 yards away, it's still fundamentally an energy blast.

Sarren

Postby Sarren » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:21 am

Thanks. I appreciate that. I forgot the guns in melee section. Tho would i be able to use it with whirlwind attack to attack multiple targets

Atama

Postby Atama » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:42 am

I’d say you could allow it to be used in melee with the Unarmed skill, in addition to using it at range with the Energy Weapons skill, by purchasing an Enhancement for the power. But you definitely wouldn’t be able to do that with the basic version of the power.

Using it as an Unarmed attack should make it eligible to benefit from the Whirlwind perk.
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

Sarren

Postby Sarren » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:50 am

I didnt think of having it as an enhancement to be able yo swotch between the 2.

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”