Taking Nile perk multiple times

Sarren

Taking Nile perk multiple times

Postby Sarren » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:38 pm

This question refers mainly to Electro ray.
I assume somone can take electro ray multiple times. Such as having a ray that hits one target and a 2nd ray that is area effect, plus any new ones that come out in the Nile book itself when it comes out.
The question i have on this is if you have 2 electro ray perks would it be a minor limitation or major limitation (applied to only one perk i assume or would it be applied to both) to have the 2 perks share the uses. So regardless on having 2 different electro rays you only have 5 uses of the perk divided among the 2 perks.

Big Lurker

Re: Taking Nile perk multiple times

Postby Big Lurker » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:45 pm

I'd say a major limitation; you're effectively halving your usage of each ray...

Sarren

Postby Sarren » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:46 pm

Applied to both perks or just one?

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:53 pm

Unless otherwise stated (and it's rarely stated) you can only take a Perk once.

So you can't take multiple Electro-Rays, but you can expend a Perk to select an Enhancement.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Sarren

Postby Sarren » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:55 pm

So if you pick up the blast enhancement, can you choose to not use it or is it always on?

utsukushi

Postby utsukushi » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:39 pm

I'd say it would be an effective Minor Limitation for your Electro=Ray to say that Enhancements that apply to the attack can only be used one at a time, simulating either multiple Electro-Ray devices or perhaps one with like a dial on in for different settings. So you could have a high power setting with Damage 15, an automatic setting with Rapid Fire, and an explosive ray setting with Blast Radius, but couldn't combine the effects like normal. Of course, that Limitation would only mean anything if you only had one Enhancement, so you'd have to have at least two of those to do that at all.

But once you have that, it costs a Perk to add an Enhancement just like it would cost a Perk to re-buy Electro-Ray, so I think it works out to just what you're going for, and without the question of how to apply the Limitation to multiple instances of the power.

Blightcrawler

Postby Blightcrawler » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:39 pm

Sarren wrote:So if you pick up the blast enhancement, can you choose to not use it or is it always on?

I'd say it can be chosen before the attack roll. Keeping in mind that a small blast radius is typically only going to hit one target anyway. It requires special circumstances, such as targets being close together, to affect more.

johntfs

Postby johntfs » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:39 pm

Another thing to think about is Pulp, not Super. A Rocket Ranger character who's taken all the potential options for her suit is very formidable, but she's not Iron Man and shouldn't be Iron Man. Likewise, somebody with Flight and Electro-Ray might be Electro-woman or Lightning Lass but she shouldn't be Storm of the X-men. As talented and capable as a Storm Knight Pulp Hero might be, he should still be reasonably vulnerably to human beings and attacks on the human level (guns/knives/etc.) if she's not you've probably gone a bit too far.

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”