Stacking conditions from the conflict lines?

Wotan

Re: Stacking conditions from the conflict lines?

Postby Wotan » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:20 am

Kuildeous wrote:But if that bothers you, then it'll surely bother you to know that there is a group of people who refers to bimonthly as "every 2 months" and another group who refers to it as "twice a month." In most cases, the groups are unaware the other one exists. I have a very strong opinion on that, but that doesn't stop the people who are using it wrong. But now I can't unambiguously use "bi-" in a calendar sense. "Semi-" is still valid.

:shock:
*head explodes*

Words are hard!
Non-denominational "Devil's Advocate"

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:18 am

Wotan wrote:
Kuildeous wrote:But if that bothers you, then it'll surely bother you to know that there is a group of people who refers to bimonthly as "every 2 months" and another group who refers to it as "twice a month." In most cases, the groups are unaware the other one exists. I have a very strong opinion on that, but that doesn't stop the people who are using it wrong. But now I can't unambiguously use "bi-" in a calendar sense. "Semi-" is still valid.

:shock:
*head explodes*

Words are hard!

Yesterday I learned that other languages have actual central authorities on the use and words of the language.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acad%C3%A ... %C3%A7aise

English doesn't.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Wotan

Postby Wotan » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:34 am

TorgHacker wrote:Yesterday I learned that other languages have actual central authorities on the use and words of the language.

English doesn't.

I'm not sure that would be possible with English. Every English speaking nation would want to keep their own dialectic variations, or, we'd end up all speaking US English, and, no offence to any Americans, but on a linguistic level I've still not forgiven the US for what they did to sulphur! *grin*

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:56 am

Wotan wrote:
TorgHacker wrote:Yesterday I learned that other languages have actual central authorities on the use and words of the language.

English doesn't.

I'm not sure that would be possible with English. Every English speaking nation would want to keep their own dialectic variations, or, we'd end up all speaking US English, and, no offence to any Americans, but on a linguistic level I've still not forgiven the US for what they did to sulphur! *grin*

Or neighbour, labour...
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Wotan

Postby Wotan » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:12 am

TorgHacker wrote:Or neighbour, labour...

They're a nation without "honour"! :lol:

utsukushi

Postby utsukushi » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:26 pm

Hey! Enough of this sabeur rattling! I think we should set aside our differences and take a semipartisan view. I'll give you all until next Saturday.

Atama

Postby Atama » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:58 pm

A lot of it is Noah Webster’s fault. He advocated a phonetic approach to spelling and so many silent vowels were removed from common words in American schools. And of course his dictionary continues to define such things to this day.

That being said, people were very fast and loose with how words were spelled back then. Even those among the highly-educated. As long as people could read what you wrote it didn’t matter. Basically, go look at social media posts today and you might know what it looked like.

Different places came up with different ideas of how English should be spoken and written so now we have some very different dialects all over the world.
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:00 pm

utsukushi wrote:Hey! Enough of this sabeur rattling! I think we should set aside our differences and take a semipartisan view. I'll give you all until next Saturday.

I don't know, I might side with the Brits. That Zed thing still has me all conficted.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Wotan

Postby Wotan » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:14 pm

utsukushi wrote:Hey! Enough of this sabeur rattling!

But, surely you mean "sabre"? :P

Taliesin

Postby Taliesin » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:19 pm

I didn't know I'd be starting a war of the words with that question ;) .

Kuildeous wrote:I'm one of those that uses "next Friday" to mean the Friday of next week. It is semantically not true, but it's how I grew up. I need to avoid that confusion by simply saying "Friday of next week."

But if that bothers you, then it'll surely bother you to know that there is a group of people who refers to bimonthly as "every 2 months" and another group who refers to it as "twice a month."

I didn't mean to offend anyone or be pedantic in any way. I'm sorry if I did. My confusion about that "next" made me interpret the rules incorrectly and made life harder for my players. But that's on me. And it seems I'm the only one who didn't get it right so... :shrug:. It's no big deal, and I'm grateful to everyone for making it clearer.

Kuildeous wrote:I have a very strong opinion on that, but that doesn't stop the people who are using it wrong.

And I certainly don't consider myself as some kind of authority on language (but I do have a strong opinion on the futility of the Académie Française). Quite the contrary: diversity and spontaneity are what makes languages interesting.

utsukushi wrote:and take a semipartisan view. I'll give you all until next Saturday.

See you tomorrow then. Or maybe "sometime next week" :D.
Last edited by Taliesin on Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”