Other ways to get gear

ZorValachan

Other ways to get gear

Postby ZorValachan » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:19 pm

A couple of other threads recently talked about gear, but I didn't want to derail them.

Torg Eternity uses the persuasion skill to get gear from contacts/Delphi Council, but recently i've been adjusting for when that really doesn't apply.

I still use the Value as the DN, just different skills
Such as my group was in the LL and settled for the night with a friendly tribe. They weren't going to persuade the tribe to just give them spears and blowguns (they wanted lower tech weapons), but the tribe was willing to teach them how to make one. So I let each player make a Survival check against the DN. If they succeeded, they now had some gear they can say they made themselves.
In the CP, I had them make a streetwise check to find a place/person who might be willing to sell them the item. etc.

Just a thought I wanted to share
- Leamon Crafton Jr.
Infiniverse Exchange author:

The Paraverse: An entire alternate Cosmverse
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/237607/

The Knights of the Road: Archtypes designed as a Storm Knight group
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/228365/

fougerec

Re: Other ways to get gear

Postby fougerec » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:27 pm

I default to.

1) Given for the mission. If the Council (i.e. me) thinks they're going to need something than they get issued it.
2) Persuasion. As per the book. Convincing the Council for something extra.
3) Streetwise. Buying it on the downlow for yourself from your contacts.
4) Survival. Making low tech items.

That's it. I'm happy to have such a system because I have players who have, quite literally, ripped out the nails in a door frame in D&D to get the copper piece/dozen. In a game with any sort of economy they loot everything to resell. Everything.

Brandon_C

Postby Brandon_C » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:36 pm

There's always stealing it ... :)

Atama

Postby Atama » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:59 pm

Brandon_C wrote:There's always stealing it ... :)

95% of our group’s vehicles are acquired that way. We play TorgE like it’s Grand Theft Auto: Tabletop.
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

fuldry

Postby fuldry » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:18 pm

The Living Land book actually presents something similar : you can make most of Living Land gear with a little time and Survival checks.

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:27 pm

I do the requisition checks during the adventure as flashbacks. That way I don't have to do a briefing scene first, I can just jump into it, and they often have exactly what they need to blow up something or whatever. It's very James Bond in a good way. Sometimes I also let them use Find or other skills, if it makes more sense, like when they don't have any downtime between Acts.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

johntfs

Postby johntfs » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:28 pm

Yeah, pretty much our group doesn't bother with "requisition checks." They get most of their stuff with the old kill/KO folks and jack their shit.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:48 pm

johntfs wrote:

Yeah, pretty much our group doesn't bother with "requisition checks." They get most of their stuff with the old kill/KO folks and jack their shit.

I mean...works in Halo pretty well. :-)
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

fougerec

Postby fougerec » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:42 pm

johntfs wrote:

I'm trying to guide my PCs away from that mindset which has overtaken every single game they play. But they don't stop at just picking up what they can use or even what they may use...everything. Like a low level Skyrim/Fallout character. So we do the one Requisition check, some streetwise or survival and I'll usually let them loot one usable thing or thing that is going to be useful down the road.

Here Comes The Flood

Postby Here Comes The Flood » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:55 pm

johntfs wrote:

There's literally nothing better than getting a Delphi Council Survival Kit when it's still spattered with the blood of its former owner! :)
“When the night shows, the signals grow on radios
All the strange things, they come and go, as early warnings…”

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”