Opinions on lightning strike miracle?

Sunrunner

Re: Opinions on lightning strike miracle?

Postby Sunrunner » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:00 pm

Yeah I kinda want to see some kinda core roll utility type perks for Spell caste/ Miracles/psion. You know something along the lines of

This would be a general Spellcraft perk open to all cosmos that have Spellcraft.

Trained Apprentice Perk
Prereq at least one add each in Divination, Alteration, and Conjuration.

Add Detect Magic,Dispel Magic, and Mage Light to your spells know if you meet the minimum skill requirements.

Gives you all the hey look I am a competent mage but these have no real use in 95% of all combats utility spells that lets be honest you probably would have HAD to learn on your way towards I blow up tanks and shoot down dragons with lighting bolts land.

Basically same set up for Miracles except call it Acolyte and make it take 2 adds in faith to get off the ground and give them Bounty, Cure Disease, and Cure Poison. Again Iconic I am the Cleric/Paladin but these dont come up in combat like 95% of the time but sure are useful utility spells.

I will be honest I cant really seem to cook one up for Psionics as psionics seems to be light on utility but not useful in combat powers. Telepathy and Psychometry are about the only 2 with little to no combat applications and honestly Telepathy is stretching it as being able to quietly communicate complex battle plans with out your enemy even being able to know your talking is useful a little bit more then 5% of the time. I mean I want to put Mind Sense on this list but its just to handy in the give me a sec guys I am gonna search this building in one action at DN8 to tell if any bad guys are hiding in it, nope don't care that they are crazy ninja NPCs with invis powers and off the charts stealth checks I just beat a DN8 and I know they are there.

Its something I would address in the Pan Pacific and Tharkhold books, a few hey here are some quality of life powers.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:16 pm

fougerec wrote:
mystic101 wrote:
I hope one of them is Mage Light. On my way to getting five spells, I spent a whole perk on it, mostly for roleplaying reasons. I keep thinking that maybe it'll come in handy in Orrorsh someday, if we run into a monster with Cloak of Darkness, but it hasn't happened yet. It'd be great if that one got some love.

IMO if you have Mage Light and haven't had the chance to use it to counter Cloak of Darkness, then that's a failing on the part of either the GM or GM/Player Communication. I'm of the opinion that if a player spends a perk on things then that's signalling to the GM that they want this to play a part in things. Maybe not every session (my PC with Stela Sense doesn't find one every session) but often enough for the player to feel justified in the expenditure.

<points up> That.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Greymarch2000

Postby Greymarch2000 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:58 pm

You kinda have to go out of your way to encounter an Orrorsh monster that doesn't have Cloak of Darkness :)

Atama

Postby Atama » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:27 pm

Scrambler is our group’s most-used spell. It’s awesome. Our primary spell-caster is a Cyberwitch who is (understandably) paranoid and casts it everywhere. Which was really handy when we ran around Pan-Pacifica getting into all kinds of shenanigans, but still stayed relatively anonymous thanks to the spell. She also used it to mess up a high-tech tank in Tharkold; the pilot couldn’t target us properly with his HUD disabled. It’s far from useless (well, in high tech areas at least).
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

Sunrunner

Postby Sunrunner » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:17 am

And while Mage light has some combat applications in Orrorsh, Out side of Orrorsh cloak of darkness is pretty much non existent and thus Mage lights combat applications. Its a great I trapped you in the underdark for 5 days and your torches ran out at the end of day 2 spell, but not exactly a lets kill the bad guy spell. Its why I said like 95% non combat application. Because you can take any spell in the game and SOMEONE will be able to tell you how they used it to kill Mobius or the Gaunt man or (insert Highlord of choice here).

Players have are clever little beasts and generally always manage to cook up some scheme you never even dreamed of to defeat your bad guys. Its part of my fun as a GM. Watching the players cook up some cockamamy scheme to defeat my bad guys or spoil there plans. I have learned to go with the "Rule of Cool" generally meaning I decide the couple things my bag guys ARE prepared for and let the players present me with anything even remotely possible and if they can back it up with some skill checks and such congratulations you saved the world.

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:19 am

I do wish that detect magic came standard with the Spellcaster perk. Though I guess that wouldn't work, since a spellcaster might not have the divination skill.
Last edited by Spatula on Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fougerec

Postby fougerec » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:03 pm

Spatula wrote:I do wish that detect magic came standard with the Spellcaster perk.

Maybe they simply need a cantrip perk that bundles together a few utility spells or miracles.

Or maybe a perk that lets you cast those smaller things as a use of the skill but at a slightly higher difficulty?

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:59 pm

fougerec wrote:Maybe they simply need a cantrip perk that bundles together a few utility spells or miracles.

Or maybe a perk that lets you cast those smaller things as a use of the skill but at a slightly higher difficulty?

I don't think Miracles need it, really. Miracle-workers already have a big advantage in only needing one skill, and it's based on a very useful attribute.

I do expect that there will be basic utility spells castable by anyone with the needed skill in Aysle, as there are with some miracles in the Living Land. And that would make sense for most NPC Ayslish mages who never leave the reality - why bother "learning" spells like detect magic when you can cast it at-will anywhere you go within your realm?

Sir Awesome

Postby Sir Awesome » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:26 pm

I just want to echo several posts that have already said action economy is way more important to me than 1 a scene or act limits.

For me personally, and for most of my group anything that requires 2 turns because it isn't fun to be playing every other turn no matter how powerful it is.

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”