Firing into melee while in melee

Kuildeous

Firing into melee while in melee

Postby Kuildeous » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:55 pm

In my home game, I ruled that if Bob is in melee with a dino and Carol is also in melee with the dino, then if Carol pulls a pistol and fires at the dino, there is the usual chance of accidentally hitting Bob, just like if she stood 20 meters away and fired into the melee.

But the wording of dodge only applying to attacks at range and firing into melee is compared to the target's dodge makes me wonder if I'm wrong. What was the dev intent here? Did I interpret the rule correctly, or did I miss an obvious interpretation?
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

TorgHacker

Re: Firing into melee while in melee

Postby TorgHacker » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:40 pm

Kuildeous wrote:In my home game, I ruled that if Bob is in melee with a dino and Carol is also in melee with the dino, then if Carol pulls a pistol and fires at the dino, there is the usual chance of accidentally hitting Bob, just like if she stood 20 meters away and fired into the melee.

But the wording of dodge only applying to attacks at range and firing into melee is compared to the target's dodge makes me wonder if I'm wrong. What was the dev intent here? Did I interpret the rule correctly, or did I miss an obvious interpretation?

GM’s call.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Atama

Postby Atama » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:16 pm

If it’s a big dinosaur (T-Rex, Apatosaurus, Hadrosaur, etc.) I’d argue to waive the chance of friendly fire. If you aim upward to hit it you can’t hit an ally.
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

Sunrunner

Postby Sunrunner » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:29 am

By the Rules and previous clarification from previous discussions it should not.

TorgHacker has in previous discussions said that if an Attack targets the Dodge defense it has to follow the firing into melee rules, and that if the attack does not target dodge it does not follow the firing into melee rules and hence has no risk of hitting friendlies. If you use a gun in melee (Assuming its a gun like a Pistol that can be used in melee) you target Unarmed or Melee defense instead of dodge and therefore no longer have to worry about hitting friendlies.

As always the GM can change things but the basic rules seem fairly clear on this. And yeah if your talking about shooting BIG dions I would tend to wave off the friendly fire possibility if everyone is on the ground as yeah your most likely shooting over everyones head to hit the main body or head of the dino any way. Now if some one is climbing/riding on its back or in its jaws then enter the possibility of friendly fire.

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:41 am

Thanks, Sunrunner, for the reminder on the ruling that targeting dodge triggers the firing into melee rule. That is good enough for me, and my group will be pleased to hear that I'm reversing my stance.

As for big things, I envision the opening credits of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 where Drax is just all over the creature despite being a fraction its size. I figure there's always the chance that the melee combatant does get in the way, but the size difference might be enough that I'll say there's a 5-10% chance of hitting anyone other than the behemoth. I take profile into account.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”