Is Psionic Technology possible...?

johntfs

Is Psionic Technology possible...?

Postby johntfs » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:15 am

...and at what axiom? Granted that Psionics are most directly derived from the Social axiom, but is it possible for technological devices to be created that could instill or permit the usage of psionic skills/power in the non-psionic?

Savioronedge

Re: Is Psionic Technology possible...?

Postby Savioronedge » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:46 am

In fiction, this happens. It is usually a Technical advance. For TORG: Eternity, I would have to see it as a Social device, like a phone that taps into the zeitgeist to better connect people enabling or enhancing telepthy or precognition. Or maybe a symbol (gemstone, crystal ball, dowsing rod, monkey's paw...) that the cosm has collectively agreed provides a bonus to one of the skills, and because the Society has decided, the Social Axiom agrees and it works. That way, if you are an item smith, your ability to manipulate the social fabric is as important as any Technical skill.

I think I am rambling now, but this gives me so many ideas.

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:56 am

At social axiom 24. "Psionic manifestations may be bolstered with technological assistance." so yes technology can help, but I would say the psi has to be possible first.
I would think Pan-Pacifica are researching this heavily.
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:41 am

IMO a combination of high enough Social and Tech axioms would make this likely, but it would also have to depend on the genre or tone and world laws of the setting. I could see it in Tharkold or Pan-Pacifica, but they should definitely have different vibes. I think Pan-Pacifica should be more along the lines of augmenting less obvious powers and making latent powers manifest, sort of tied into the biopunk theme, while Tharkold would be about the Race hacking the mind to augment the more powerful abiliteis to better escape and resist the Tharkoldu, probably at a painful cost.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:42 am

GeniusCodeMonkey wrote:At social axiom 24. "Psionic manifestations may be bolstered with technological assistance." so yes technology can help, but I would say the psi has to be possible first.

And yeah, there you go, spells it out. I do think this is a good subject to discuss, Pan-Pacifica needs a book so much. They all do, but PP the most IMO.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

utsukushi

Postby utsukushi » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:12 pm

Those are some really cool lines of thought, Savioronedge!

In meta-terms, I would say it has to be purely a function of the Social Axiom. Enchanted items are completely dictated by the Magic Axiom and divine items are completely determined by the Spirit Axiom, so in the same way, the Social Axiom is all that tells you if Psionics can be enhanced by or somehow imprinted into objects. The Tech Axiom just changes what kinds of objects you might have available, in the same way that the Living Land has sacred items made of bone while the CyberPapacy has angels manifesting through holograms.

With the way they've re-envisioned Psionics into Social, in Torg Eternity terms, I think the Akashans would have been an excellent example of a low-Tech, high-Social cosm. It would be easy to re-spin their biotech as not super high technology at all, but rather a result of their ability to.. well, in that case, not just to create psionic items rather than electronic ones, but to emphasize that they achieved their civilization through symbiosis rather than technological domination. (I don't think that's how they're going to happen, though - biotech is already placed as super-high-Tech. I was just trying to think of a good example for a low-Tech high-Social realm, and liked the idea.)

In the meantime, we only have high Tech Psionic Realms, so I suppose on a practical level that's a bit of a moot point anyway. I could certainly see Kanawa working on devices to stimulate and enhance Psionic abilities. I think that Tharkold already does some of this; that combination seems necessary to me to allow objects to be powered by something as conceptual as Pain.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:21 pm

Gargoyle wrote:
GeniusCodeMonkey wrote:At social axiom 24. "Psionic manifestations may be bolstered with technological assistance." so yes technology can help, but I would say the psi has to be possible first.

And yeah, there you go, spells it out. I do think this is a good subject to discuss, Pan-Pacifica needs a book so much. They all do, but PP the most IMO.

Pan-Pacifica has the feel of the Nile Empire to me. It's going to have sooooooooooooooooo much stuff in it.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:04 pm

Hopefully not every realm will end up pulp like Nile. I envision PP more harder edged than that.
Question everything.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:54 pm

GeniusCodeMonkey wrote:Hopefully not every realm will end up pulp like Nile. I envision PP more harder edged than that.

Nononono. I don’t mean style. I mean the variety of content that could go in the book.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:19 pm

Regarding Tharkold. Just because it's technically available, doesn't mean they are doing it. Psitech could be 'old/forbidden technology ' that isn't used anymore or seen as dangerous.
Question everything.

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”