multiple attack actions with multi target

Kuildeous

Re: multiple attack actions with multi target

Postby Kuildeous » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:13 pm

mica wrote:Does everybody play by the RAW when calculating penalties or do GM's simply wing it based on rule of thumb and a fair bit of handwavium?
i.e. 15 minutes ploughing through the RAW as above to work out -8, poss -12 or 'wow, sounds near impossible, call it a -10 and bollox to the maths'

I try to stick to RAW, but I also don't want to spend a lot of time on it, so if someone does a funky dance of shooting 3 guys while intimidating 4 different guys and pushing 2 guys off the building, then I may forego the calculations and just round it out to about -8 for everything. If they really want to succeed at the 4 targets anyway, then they're going to aim for a higher bonus number, so I'm okay with standardizing that.

If a player wants to make a character with the intent of doing multiple attacks, then I may just explain to the player that it's up to them to figure out the proper modifiers ahead of time because I'm not going to drag down the game by figuring that stuff out on the fly.

On the other hand, I do play with numbers a lot, so my definition of a quick calculation may differ from someone else's. I'm not going to shy away from my absurd example most of the time.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:17 pm

mica wrote:Does everybody play by the RAW when calculating penalties or do GM's simply wing it based on rule of thumb and a fair bit of handwavium?
i.e. 15 minutes ploughing through the RAW as above to work out -8, poss -12 or 'wow, sounds near impossible, call it a -10 and bollox to the maths'

This is part of the reason we created Favored.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Staffan

Postby Staffan » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:22 pm

If there's ever a TORG III: The Retorgening, I think it would be neat to differentiate multi-target and multi-action from one another, so that multi-target only applies to doing one thing to many targets. Attacks would generally be done with multi-actions (because you're attacking that guy, and then you're attacking that guy, and then you're attacking a third guy, which is conceptually three actions) unless you have automatic fire or a similar attack where you sweep across multiple targets with a single action.

So, let's say I'm Batman, facing three goons. I want to scare them and punch them, because that's how Batmen do. I start with an Intimidate with three targets, and then I do three Unarmed Combat attacks (or maybe two Unarmed Combat attacks and a Missile Weapons attack with a batarang against the third). I take a -6 penalty to everything because I'm doing four actions, and my Intimidate takes another -4 because I'm doing multiple targets.

I think I would prefer this to the current method (among other things, because it doesn't invite shenanigans), but the margin is small enough that it's not worth the house rule. But if there ever was a revision to the current edition...

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”