A day late, but here's this week's preview on Perks:

https://www.ulisses-us.com/aysle-preview-3-perks/
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Spatula

Re: Aysle Preview #3 - Perks

Postby Spatula » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:35 am

Aha, I was wondering if the Elven Dragon Rider archetype would return, only this time with an actual dragon to ride!

Blood Magic looks very flavorful and useful. Although I suppose you're trading -2 to cast other spells from Concentration for a -1 to everything from Wound penalties. Though Concentration can be disrupted. I suppose one could also pre-cast buffs with this! :D

Does Born to Darkness do something more than raising the cap on the number of Darkness perks one can safely take? That seems a bit lackluster for a perk.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:43 am

Spatula wrote:Aha, I was wondering if the Elven Dragon Rider archetype would return, only this time with an actual dragon to ride!

Blood Magic looks very flavorful and useful. Although I suppose you're trading -2 to cast other spells from Concentration for a -1 to everything from Wound penalties. Though Concentration can be disrupted. I suppose one could also pre-cast buffs with this! :D

Yes you could.

Does Born to Darkness do something more than raising the cap on the number of Darkness perks one can safely take? That seems a bit lackluster for a perk.

No. It is, admittedly not a Perk most people would pick, but if you really wanted to go Dark without losing your character to Darkness. Also, remember the GM can assign you Darkness Perks, including that one.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:40 am

Spatula wrote: Blood Magic looks very flavorful and useful. Although I suppose you're trading -2 to cast other spells from Concentration for a -1 to everything from Wound penalties. Though Concentration can be disrupted. I suppose one could also pre-cast buffs with this! :D

Yeah, the lack of disruption makes this a very tempting spell. You could even apply it to a combat spell that affects an enemy and then sweet-talk your healer into removing that wound—unless the paladin decides to be a jerk about you embracing darkness.

My psychic with foreshadow is going to feel sad.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

Atama

Postby Atama » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:41 am

I always liked Aysle and these perks make me even more excited for this book. :)

I see Skald as an odd perk though. I’d almost not want to roll well because the more cards you remove the better the chance of being forced to discard something you like. If it said you could discard “up to” a certain amount that would be better. Maybe I’d need to see it in action to see how useful it is.
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

vaminion

Postby vaminion » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:52 am

Atama wrote:I see Skald as an odd perk though. I’d almost not want to roll well because the more cards you remove the better the chance of being forced to discard something you like. If it said you could discard “up to” a certain amount that would be better. Maybe I’d need to see it in action to see how useful it is.

The discard being optional is the only thing that Foreshadow has over Skald. But even accounting for that I still think Skald's significantly better.

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:16 pm

TorgHacker wrote:No. It is, admittedly not a Perk most people would pick, but if you really wanted to go Dark without losing your character to Darkness. Also, remember the GM can assign you Darkness Perks, including that one.

The core book mentions that as well (being assigned Darkness perks) but I don't think it goes into details. I assume this book will cover the topic?

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:35 pm

Spatula wrote:
TorgHacker wrote:No. It is, admittedly not a Perk most people would pick, but if you really wanted to go Dark without losing your character to Darkness. Also, remember the GM can assign you Darkness Perks, including that one.

The core book mentions that as well (being assigned Darkness perks) but I don't think it goes into details. I assume this book will cover the topic?

Yes, though there is a fair bit of GM discretion. It's not really an "if...then..."
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Padre

Postby Padre » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:04 pm

Ooh, fun!!! I'm really looking forward to this, particularly since I'm playing a paladin right now. Skald looks particularly useful for Dramatic scenes when the cards are against the players.

Savioronedge

Postby Savioronedge » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:19 pm

Skald Preview wrote:On a success look at next three Drama cards, discard one and place the other back on the deck. On a Good result look at three...all but one.

Aside from the typo in the Success section, this reads clunky to me. Might I suggest:

On a Standard Success, look at the next two Drama cards, three for a Good Success, and four on an Outstanding Success; then choose one card to put back on top of the deck and discard the others.

<Edit: not sure how autocorrect did that.>
Last edited by Savioronedge on Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”