Aysle Preview #4 - Uthorion

TorgHacker

Aysle Preview #4 - Uthorion

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:59 pm

Just a quick preview of his statblock this week.

https://www.ulisses-us.com/aysle-preview-4-uthorion/
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

callinostros

Re: Aysle Preview #4 - Uthorion

Postby callinostros » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:24 pm

Looks good. A couple of questions.
-He has spellcaster but no spells are listed. I am assuming the GM will just pick any they want, or does he have access to all spells?
-Semantics thing. I noticed it says "player characters" in one ability. I thought I had read somewhere about "heroes" being the preferred term. I know, minor question.

johntfs

Postby johntfs » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:41 pm

callinostros wrote:Looks good. A couple of questions.
-He has spellcaster but no spells are listed. I am assuming the GM will just pick any they want, or does he have access to all spells?
-Semantics thing. I noticed it says "player characters" in one ability. I thought I had read somewhere about "heroes" being the preferred term. I know, minor question.

Uthorian is the High Lord of the magic cosm. Figure he has all the (or at least all the common/book-listed) spells available in it.

I prefer player-characters, myself. Heroes implies good intentions or results, neither of which should be assumed when player-characters are involved.

One really interesting thing to note is that with a Mind of 19, Uthorian is actually smarter than supervillain super-genius Dr. Mobius (Mind of 18). Whatever else Uthorian is, he's emphatically not a dumbass barbarian who can throw Fireballs. Right now, he's the smartest of the High Lords so far. I suspect it'll turn out that he ranks second or third overall. Figure the Gaunt Man will lord it over everyone in just about every category. Reiko Kanawa (the real Pan-Pacifica High Lord/Lady) might end up being smarter but it will be close.

It's also interesting that Uthorian has two Perks normally only available to Core Earth Stormers: Negation and Storm Caller. Perhaps we'll eventually learn that Uthorian is from closer to home than we thought. Maybe the Gaunt Man once visited our Earth and took a "friend" away with him.

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:07 pm

johntfs wrote:

Uthorian is the High Lord of the magic cosm. Figure he has all the (or at least all the common/book-listed) spells available in it.

I prefer player-characters, myself. Heroes implies good intentions or results, neither of which should be assumed when player-characters are involved.

Torg stages all player characters as heroes though. It's even on the drama deck cards, heroes vs villains. "The heroes are good guys, and their adventures should reinforce that." It's the intention for player characters in the setting. Regardless, this is the same text from the core rules for the Gloater special ability, and it's not something they're going to want to change.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:15 pm

johntfs wrote:
It's also interesting that Uthorian has two Perks normally only available to Core Earth Stormers: Negation and Storm Caller. Perhaps we'll eventually learn that Uthorian is from closer to home than we thought. Maybe the Gaunt Man once visited our Earth and took a "friend" away with him.

Probably he gets those abilities from his Darkness Device. Mobius gets Negation this way. And I don't think the Gaunt Man realized where Core Earth was until relatively recently, but my memory on that lore is a bit fuzzy. Still, that could be a neat twist.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:53 pm

He has access to everything essentially.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:57 pm

johntfs wrote:

Don't read too much into this. While I personally try to maintain prereqs and restrictions for Threats under most circumstances, they're not strict restrictions.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

johntfs

Postby johntfs » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:04 pm

Gargoyle wrote:
johntfs wrote:

Probably he gets those abilities from his Darkness Device. Mobius gets Negation this way. And I don't think the Gaunt Man realized where Core Earth was until relatively recently, but my memory on that lore is a bit fuzzy. Still, that could be a neat twist.

He'd get Negation from his Darkness Device (if the Device so wished. Baruk Kaah does not get Negation, though Rec Pakken probably has it). Mobius has a conditional method of calling a storm in that someone first has to try to use Negation against him. If Mobius Negates that Negation, a reality storm breaks out. No such conditions or limits exist for Uthorian. Presumably he can use Storm Caller as and when he chooses - just like a PC.

johntfs

Postby johntfs » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:15 pm

TorgHacker wrote:
johntfs wrote:

Don't read too much into this. While I personally try to maintain prereqs and restrictions for Threats under most circumstances, they're not strict restrictions.

Well, sure, especially for High Lords. Uthorian has an Alteration Magic skill of 28 despite the limit on skill adds being +8 at the most for PCs. Still, it's a thought isn't it? I recall in the Old Torg novel Interview with Evil that the Gaunt Man visited that Earth as the angel was killing the firstborn of Egypt. Of course, that same novel pictured Uthorian as a dim-witted thug, which he obviously isn't by his statblock.

Sure the Gaunt Man claims the discovery of Earth was recent, but is that really something to be believed? Perhaps the Gaunt Man tried to invade Earth before, but was repulsed by its power and retreated before his realm was destroyed. Maybe that's where Earth gets a lot of its stories about vampires, werewolves and other monsters - the legacy of a failed Orrosh invasion long in its past. Perhaps Uthorian was someone who was a Storm Knight hero who went over to Darkness for power...

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:54 pm

johntfs wrote:
TorgHacker wrote:
johntfs wrote:

Well, sure, especially for High Lords. Uthorian has an Alteration Magic skill of 28 despite the limit on skill adds being +8 at the most for PCs. Still, it's a thought isn't it? I recall in the Old Torg novel Interview with Evil that the Gaunt Man visited that Earth as the angel was killing the firstborn of Egypt. Of course, that same novel pictured Uthorian as a dim-witted thug, which he obviously isn't by his statblock.

Sure the Gaunt Man claims the discovery of Earth was recent, but is that really something to be believed? Perhaps the Gaunt Man tried to invade Earth before, but was repulsed by its power and retreated before his realm was destroyed. Maybe that's where Earth gets a lot of its stories about vampires, werewolves and other monsters - the legacy of a failed Orrosh invasion long in its past. Perhaps Uthorian was someone who was a Storm Knight hero who went over to Darkness for power...

Well, if you want to speculate I'm not going to stop you. ;)
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”