Aysle Preview #4 - Uthorion

Spatula

Re: Aysle Preview #4 - Uthorion

Postby Spatula » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:01 pm

I was surprised by the reality perks but I forgot that Mobius had one as well. I suppose it makes sense that the High Lords have access to the secrets of reality; what’s amazing about Core Earth is that “average” stormers there have those abilities too.

+7 armor?!? I think the highest we’ve seen to date is +5.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:08 pm

Spatula wrote:I was surprised by the reality perks but I forgot that Mobius had one as well. I suppose it makes sense that the High Lords have access to the secrets of reality; what’s amazing about Core Earth is that “average” stormers there have those abilities too.

+7 armor?!? I think the highest we’ve seen to date is +5.

Magic, man. :-)
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Atama

Postby Atama » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:21 pm

Spatula wrote:I was surprised by the reality perks but I forgot that Mobius had one as well. I suppose it makes sense that the High Lords have access to the secrets of reality; what’s amazing about Core Earth is that “average” stormers there have those abilities too.

Core Earth is the Uber Cosm, that’s why it’s taking a team of High Lords to conquer it. Which is cool because you know that in most modern fantasy RPGs the “mundane Earth” stuff is always weak and boring compared to all the fantastic alien stuff. Torg flips that trope on its head.
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:01 pm

From the looks of things, he is a spellcaster first (necromancy!!!, maybe he is a lich?), combat monster second. I would think he only possessed a viking host for political reasons and potentially because it was convenient at the time (the weak willed fool!)
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

Zackzenobi

Postby Zackzenobi » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:22 pm

I'm kinda hoping he isnt portrayed as a loser this time. I want a worthy foe!

HappyDaze

Postby HappyDaze » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:11 am

I'm not sure I really like this guy being a super-genius even beyond Mobius. Even a 12-14 Mind would have made him really smart, but the given rating seems excessive to me. OTOH, I would have liked to see his physical stats be a bit more, but magic can certainly help with those.

QuarrelBlue

Postby QuarrelBlue » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:47 am

1)Is Uthorion no longer a priest of Corba’al(the Dark god of necromancy) as he was in oTorg, since he has no Faith or Miracles?

2)Does "leaving the host body and dominating new one" option of Drakacanus posession power explain Uthorion's regular leave from Ardinay's body?
(How he could avoid unlucky failure of re-posessing Ardinay which would result in accidental destruction of himself?)

3)How far is the Range of the posession power of Drakacanus?
(Extremely lucky hit of long-range death curse or a sniper rifle can be fatal, and sometimes a horde of unliving being can kill a person)

4)Does Uthorion in Thorfinn's body have ownership of Drakacanus, unlike in oTorg(where ownership of Drakacanus transferred to Ardinay's body and Uthrion lost both when exocised from Ardinay)?

Atama

Postby Atama » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:33 pm

HappyDaze wrote:I'm not sure I really like this guy being a super-genius even beyond Mobius. Even a 12-14 Mind would have made him really smart, but the given rating seems excessive to me. OTOH, I would have liked to see his physical stats be a bit more, but magic can certainly help with those.

I see him now as a brilliant, evil sorcerer. His physical stats are high (higher than normal human maximums) but clearly his power comes from magic.

He can have more of a core intelligence stat than Mobius, but that’s all put into magical skill. I’d still think Mobius is more generally “learned” than Uthorian and thus I’d call him smarter, despite having one fewer point in Mind. Again, that Mind score seems geared toward making him the ultimate magician, but not an all-around intellectual.
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:03 pm

There are things that are still being nailed down, so unless I'm sure it's nailed down, I'm going to defer for now.

QuarrelBlue wrote:1)Is Uthorion no longer a priest of Corba’al(the Dark god of necromancy) as he was in oTorg, since he has no Faith or Miracles?

Deferring for now.

2)Does "leaving the host body and dominating new one" option of Drakacanus posession power explain Uthorion's regular leave from Ardinay's body?
(How he could avoid unlucky failure of re-posessing Ardinay which would result in accidental destruction of himself?)

This is just the "what happens when he's Defeated." The rest of it is handled narratively.

3)How far is the Range of the posession power of Drakacanus?
(Extremely lucky hit of long-range death curse or a sniper rifle can be fatal, and sometimes a horde of unliving being can kill a person)

If he's within Aysle's borders, he's in range.

4)Does Uthorion in Thorfinn's body have ownership of Drakacanus, unlike in oTorg(where ownership of Drakacanus transferred to Ardinay's body and Uthrion lost both when exocised from Ardinay)?

Uthorion has it. Darkness Devices can dimthread themselves. They're just immoveable if they don't want to be moved.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

coyotegrey

Postby coyotegrey » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:53 pm

johntfs wrote:One really interesting thing to note is that with a Mind of 19, Uthorian is actually smarter than supervillain super-genius Dr. Mobius (Mind of 18). Whatever else Uthorian is, he's emphatically not a dumbass barbarian who can throw Fireballs. Right now, he's the smartest of the High Lords so far. I suspect it'll turn out that he ranks second or third overall. Figure the Gaunt Man will lord it over everyone in just about every category. Reiko Kanawa (the real Pan-Pacifica High Lord/Lady) might end up being smarter but it will be close.

I think in this version of Torg there isn't a hard correlation between attributes and a character's physical and mental capabilities in the fiction. They are primarily there for game mechanics purposes and how important they are in the story. I call forward as my primary evidence Wu Han's stats. :) If those are really what he's like in the setting it would just be ridiculous. He's basically a superhuman. Mobius too, or well, all the High Lords in this version. Super strong, fast, charismatic, etc.

I'm not complaining mind, just saying they are not directly connected.

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”