utsukushi

Re: Telekinesis errata

Postby utsukushi » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:52 am

Well,it's around A corner, for sure.

Lurking.

pkitty

Postby pkitty » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:39 am

Okay, after typing out the errata'd version of TK on my wiki (see sig) so that we're able to see it in one place, I think I'm grokking how this works. Please let me know if I'm off here.

My range is 25 meters, which would be in any direction, including vertical (to grab flyers, for example). But I cannot lift subjects higher than I could with my normal arms, so to use a physics term, my effective vertical delta is about 2-3 meters.

I could pick up a rifle sitting on the ground 12m away. I could lift it up into the air as high as about 3m. I could wield it using Dex-based fire combat; any Min Str would compare to my Mind. I could pick up a clip of ammo too assuming that it's within "arm's reach" of the rifle at the time, and I can reload the rifle, clear a stoppage, etc. because that's the sort of fine control I could do with my hands.

If someone is flying 15m overhead, I could attempt to grapple them. If successful (Good or better), they're stuck in place but that's all. If they stopped resisting (maybe someone knocks them out) or didn't resist in the first place, I can move them like any object. If I wanted to lift them higher, though, I could only lift them about 2-3m higher (to 18m overhead at the most). For lowering them, it's probably reasonable to assume that I can get them all the way down to the ground safely, since I'm not really "lowering them" so much as I'm just providing some resistance against gravity.

Do I have it?
Our group's Torg Eternity wiki page
  • House rules, indexes of all perks/spells/etc, form-fillable character sheet, and more

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:14 am

pkitty wrote:Okay, after typing out the errata'd version of TK on my wiki (see sig) so that we're able to see it in one place, I think I'm grokking how this works. Please let me know if I'm off here.

My range is 25 meters, which would be in any direction, including vertical (to grab flyers, for example). But I cannot lift subjects higher than I could with my normal arms, so to use a physics term, my effective vertical delta is about 2-3 meters.

I could pick up a rifle sitting on the ground 12m away. I could lift it up into the air as high as about 3m. I could wield it using Dex-based fire combat; any Min Str would compare to my Mind. I could pick up a clip of ammo too assuming that it's within "arm's reach" of the rifle at the time, and I can reload the rifle, clear a stoppage, etc. because that's the sort of fine control I could do with my hands.

If someone is flying 15m overhead, I could attempt to grapple them. If successful (Good or better), they're stuck in place but that's all. If they stopped resisting (maybe someone knocks them out) or didn't resist in the first place, I can move them like any object. If I wanted to lift them higher, though, I could only lift them about 2-3m higher (to 18m overhead at the most). For lowering them, it's probably reasonable to assume that I can get them all the way down to the ground safely, since I'm not really "lowering them" so much as I'm just providing some resistance against gravity.

Do I have it?

Yep.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

fougerec

Postby fougerec » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:07 am

I've gone with a simpler explanation - if I were there (up to the TK range) could I do what I want to do with my hands? If the answer is yes then go ahead. The issue related to grabbing someone and dropping them is compounded by the fact that there aren't rules for moving a grappled opponent. So I make it a Strength vs. Strength action with the difference being the number of meters moved to a maximum of Strength value - Weight Value.

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:54 am

Personally, if I had magic do-over powers, I'd make a few differebt Teke powers.

Like "Mind over Matter" (Social 20), which would be something super weak, like Str 1 and require concentration. You can slowly pull keys to you, hover coins in the air, etc. This is the old-fashioned style of Teke found in Orrorshian mediums and Pulp villains, where they sit there with one, or both, hands on their temples, concentrating with eyes closed (Orrorsh) or eyes bugged-out wide (Nile) while small things shake, then lift (as if being held by wires!) and slowly drift over.

Then there'd be "Poltergeist" at Social 23, allowing for heavier things and where they move faster, so you can smash jaws against walls, whack people with swirling debris, maybe hover over a bed, but you can't really fly... Strength tops out as "slowly lifting someone off the ground around a foot a round".

After that you get real Teke at Social 24, then powerhouse Teke at 25.

So, like, Mind -8 at 20, Mind -2 at 23, Mind at 24, Mind +2 at 25. Ish.

From there, you can sprinkle in some othe rabilities to taste, like "Whirling debris" as a power that both defends and does (minor!) damage to someone too close, a stationary hover (CE), a slow drifting hover (PP), and actual flight (Tharkold).

Eat up some page count, but.

Atama

Postby Atama » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:13 pm

Wakshani wrote:Personally, if I had magic do-over powers, I'd make a few differebt Teke powers.

Like "Mind over Matter" (Social 20), which would be something super weak, like Str 1 and require concentration. You can slowly pull keys to you, hover coins in the air, etc. This is the old-fashioned style of Teke found in Orrorshian mediums and Pulp villains, where they sit there with one, or both, hands on their temples, concentrating with eyes closed (Orrorsh) or eyes bugged-out wide (Nile) while small things shake, then lift (as if being held by wires!) and slowly drift over.

Then there'd be "Poltergeist" at Social 23, allowing for heavier things and where they move faster, so you can smash jaws against walls, whack people with swirling debris, maybe hover over a bed, but you can't really fly... Strength tops out as "slowly lifting someone off the ground around a foot a round".

After that you get real Teke at Social 24, then powerhouse Teke at 25.

So, like, Mind -8 at 20, Mind -2 at 23, Mind at 24, Mind +2 at 25. Ish.

From there, you can sprinkle in some othe rabilities to taste, like "Whirling debris" as a power that both defends and does (minor!) damage to someone too close, a stationary hover (CE), a slow drifting hover (PP), and actual flight (Tharkold).

Eat up some page count, but.

So you’d just have the same power repeated over and over again, the only difference being how strong it is? Sounds like a waste.
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:24 pm

Unless there was a way to make the effects change, based on the performer's axioms, tied in to a single power?

Yeah.

It's not the *best* solution but it's clean one. More time on the problem could come to a better one, of course.

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:42 am

Wakshani wrote:Unless there was a way to make the effects change, based on the performer's axioms, tied in to a single power?

Yeah.

It's not the *best* solution but it's clean one. More time on the problem could come to a better one, of course.

Axioms of the performer or the cosm/realm?

Reality gets tricky.
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:15 am

And that's why multiple versions of the power might work better than one with a slider.

There's something to be said for a Poltergeist from Core Earth going to Pan Pacifica and suddenly being able to toss motocycles, her power bubbling up to meet the local limitation, while a Teke from Tharkold grouses in the Nile Empire about barely being able to make coins jangle when he can normally rip fences in half, but, you start getting into a bit more complexity than TorgE really likes when you have to readjust numbers on the fly.

A stack for core powers, each of which the player knows, is probably the better choice.

Probably, but not certainly.

It's like having different levels of "Blow things up" spells, depending on the axiom, ultimately. You'd just have different levels of "Move things with your MIND" spells, with the stronger Social cosms having more varieties to choose from.

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”