Aysle Sourcebook Q&A Thread

Atama

Re: Aysle Sourcebook Q&A Thread

Postby Atama » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:16 pm

graethynne wrote:
TorgHacker wrote:
graethynne wrote:
Although a disconnection has similar mechanics to a Mishap, it is not actually a Mishap.

Ah! And although a disconnection often occurs during a mishap, this isn't the same as it being a consequence of the mishap?

Good distinction, thanks!

Graethynne

Exactly. Let’s say you have an Aysle native (Tech level 14) who is in Orrorsh (Tech level 18) and he’s swinging a big Impact Hammer (Tech level 25) that he had picked up while in Tharkold. He rolls his Melee Weapons skill and gets a 3. It’s not a mishap (and he might not even miss), but since the Tech level of the hammer is above his personal Tech Axiom and the Axiom of Orrorsh, that’s a 4-case contradiction and he disconnects.

Later in the fight, he pulls out a long bow in order to shoot at a ranged enemy. He fires an arrow and rolls a 1 on his Missile Weapons skill. (Okay that die is cursed.) The bow’s Tech level is 9, well below both his Axiom and Orrorsh so there is no contradiction and he doesn’t disconnect. But he does have a mishap, and the GM decides the string broke and he needs to spend a full turn pulling out a replacement string and re-stringing the bow.
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

graethynne

Postby graethynne » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:48 pm

Okee dokee a couple of questions about Whirlwind (and then I will have fine-toothed all of the spells except the cantrips, whew!)

Full spell copied below -

First question - If this initial casting targets something and you exceed DN 10 but get less than the Dodge of the Target does the spell fail? I.e. suffer backlash and no ongoing duration? If so, is this intended?

Related, assuming that both answers to the above are yes, could you multi-action to 1) cast the spell and then 2) do a n apportation test to attack someone? That way assuming you hit the (now) DN 12 to cast it you would still have a whirlwind even if the attack missed, is that right?

Question the second - in the good and outstanding results, it appears that targets need only be hit in order to be moved. Is that intended or should this require suffering shock as well?

Thanbks,

Graethynne

Whirlwind
Axiom Level: 17
Skill: Apportation 14
Casting Time: 1 action
DN: Standard (10) or target’s dodge or Dexterity
Range: 25 meters
Duration: 1 minute
The spell creates a whirlwind with a Medium
Blast radius and can be directed at specific targets
immediately, or created and then moved around.
As an action, the may direct the whirlwind as
long as it remains in range. It may attack targets in
a Medium Blast radius with an apportation test vs.
the target’s dodge or Dexterity.
Those hit, or those who are forced into the vortex
(such as by a Player’s Call) take 10 damage and
those who take at least 1 Shock are pushed 4 meters
along the whirlwind’s path, or 2 meters if Large.
If a target is pushed into a dangerous area, it may
make a Dexterity test to prevent it. Larger creatures
suffer the damage but are not moved.
Good or Outstanding results on the apportation
test apply as if the spell was just cast.
Success Levels
• Good: +1BD damage, and hit targets are
pushed 10 meters, or 5 meters if Large.
• Outstanding: +2BD damage, and hit targets
are pushed 15 meters, 10 meters if Large, and 5
meters if Very Large.

Rabbitball

Postby Rabbitball » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:51 pm

graethynne wrote:Two questions on Animate Skeleton -

First,
"If multiple skeletons animate,"
- what does this refer to, i.e. how can the spell animate multiple skeletons? Is it as simple as, the spell affects all nearly intact skeletons within 10 meters or is it something else?

You can Multi-target in an area with more than one skeleton to animate.
Dominick Riesland, aka Rabbitball
Co-author, Aysle Sourcebook for Torg Eternity
Creator of the Cosmversal Grimoire
"Those who will not follow are doomed to lead"—Anarchist, Magic: the Gathering

Rabbitball

Postby Rabbitball » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:57 pm

graethynne wrote:Okee dokee a couple of questions about Whirlwind (and then I will have fine-toothed all of the spells except the cantrips, whew!)

First question - If this initial casting targets something and you exceed DN 10 but get less than the Dodge of the Target does the spell fail? I.e. suffer backlash and no ongoing duration? If so, is this intended?

Yes. the second DN is if you intend to cast the spell directly on top of someone. The first is if you just want a whirlwind.

graethynne wrote:Related, assuming that both answers to the above are yes, could you multi-action to 1) cast the spell and then 2) do a n apportation test to attack someone? That way assuming you hit the (now) DN 12 to cast it you would still have a whirlwind even if the attack missed, is that right?

That technically goes against the rule that Multi-Actions can't use the same skill. A Flurry can do it with no problem.

graethynne wrote:Question the second - in the good and outstanding results, it appears that targets need only be hit in order to be moved. Is that intended or should this require suffering shock as well?

Thanbks,

If you're caught, you're moving.
Dominick Riesland, aka Rabbitball
Co-author, Aysle Sourcebook for Torg Eternity
Creator of the Cosmversal Grimoire
"Those who will not follow are doomed to lead"—Anarchist, Magic: the Gathering

graethynne

Postby graethynne » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:25 am

Rabbitball wrote:
graethynne wrote:Okee dokee a couple of questions about Whirlwind (and then I will have fine-toothed all of the spells except the cantrips, whew!)

Yes. the second DN is if you intend to cast the spell directly on top of someone. The first is if you just want a whirlwind.

graethynne wrote:Related, assuming that both answers to the above are yes, could you multi-action to 1) cast the spell and then 2) do a n apportation test to attack someone? That way assuming you hit the (now) DN 12 to cast it you would still have a whirlwind even if the attack missed, is that right?

That technically goes against the rule that Multi-Actions can't use the same skill. A Flurry can do it with no problem.

graethynne wrote:Question the second - in the good and outstanding results, it appears that targets need only be hit in order to be moved. Is that intended or should this require suffering shock as well?

Thanks,

If you're caught, you're moving.

Ah yes, I had forgotten the rule about multi-actions can't use the same skill. So the "safe" choice is to cast it in one round, and start attacking with it next round.

I don't think I understand your answer to the second question though. The Standard effect requires a target suffer shock in order to swept along.

The Good and Outstanding results don't appear to explicitly require that. Is that the intended outcome or should they also require a target to suffer shock in order to sweep along targets?

Thanks,

Graydon

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:31 am

graethynne wrote:Re: the Kindred Magic perk -

"Gain two more spells from the Kindred Magic list.
In addition, followers, companions, and creatures
summoned by the caster’s spells have a Toughness
2 higher than normal."

Who benefits from the bonus toughness? is it
[followers, companions, and creatures] summoned by a spell cast by the character with the perk

or

Companions of the character with the perk
Followers of the character with the perk, and
Creatures summoned by spells cast by the character with the perk?

Graethynne

The latter.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:35 am

graethynne wrote:Re: Shield Wall Perk

Is the intention regarding an Active Defense that the bonus value of the shield applies to the toughness of both the hero with the perk and an ally, but the value of the d20 roll on the bonus chart (normally a minimum of +1) only applies to the hero with the perk?

Yes, that's what it is.

Shield Wall
• Prereq: At least two adds in melee weapons
The hero may grant his shield’s defense bonus
to one adjacent ally. If the hero makes an Active
Defense the Toughness bonus applies to both, but
extra defense only applies to the hero. A Vulnerable
hero grants no bonus or Toughness at all.

Bonus question - Even though Toughness is listed as a defense on page 70 of the core book, passively shields only apply to defensive skills, and applying shield bonuses to toughness at all is a function of using an active defense. Is that right?

Graethynne

Right.

From the FAQ:

Q: What are considered defenses with respect to effects that can change them?

A: The following are considered defenses: dodge, melee, unarmed, willpower, and all interaction defenses. Faith also counts, but only when used as a DN against an attack. Toughness technically is listed as a defense on Page 70 but it's a bit of an odd duck since it's rarely used as a DN for a test (and as a general rule Toughness doesn't get modified by attribute changes).
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:39 am

graethynne wrote:To whom does "caster" refer into the spell description? I suspect it is the caster of Absorb Magic, but since it is in reference to being the target of a spell, the ambiguity could be confusing.

Absorb Magic
Axiom Level: 22
Skill: Alteration 14
Casting Time: 1 action, or as a free action in
response to being the target of a spell and the caster
is taking an Active Defense.
DN: Hard (14) or opponent spellcaster’s casting
total.

Graethynne

The "caster" is the one who is taking an Active Defense. The one casting the spell targeting you can't be doing an Active Defense.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:45 am

graethynne wrote:Two questions on Animate Skeleton -

First,
"If multiple skeletons animate,"
- what does this refer to, i.e. how can the spell animate multiple skeletons? Is it as simple as, the spell affects all nearly intact skeletons within 10 meters or is it something else?

Second
"Only one attempt to cast this spell each day." aside from the missing "can be made", is this limitation per skeleton, at all, or something else?

1. The spell can be Multi-Targeted. So if you do it, and succeed the skeletons form a Mob.

2. No, literally. One attempt to cast the spell each day, period. If it was per skeleton, that would be specified.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:48 am

graethynne wrote:Hey there,

I suspect there is an interesting answer to this (hence now why I am asking)

What is the thought process behind animate skeletons lasting for 24 hours and Create Zombie lasting for 1 Act?

Bonus question, are there other spells that last for an entire act, or is this new?

Graethynne

I think there are, but I could be wrong. It's hard to keep straight when you've gone through over a hundred of these things. ;-)

As for the difference it could be as simple as "during development the duration was changed for one, and not the other because they were done on different days".
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”