Aysle Sourcebook Q&A Thread

TorgHacker

Re: Aysle Sourcebook Q&A Thread

Postby TorgHacker » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:48 am

graethynne wrote:Just noticed this,

Is there a functional difference between Duration 24 hours (Animate Skeleton) and Duration 1 Day (Block Scrying)?

Thanks,

Graethynne

No.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:57 am

QuarrelBlue wrote:
TorgHacker wrote:
fougerec wrote:I think it's been said that powers etc. do what they say they do, which is nice and simple. Since Ethereal doesn't say anything about not being to interact then I allow ghosts to punch people etc. Narratively, they manifest just long enough to strike.

Pretty much this.

You mean, the spirit form of a spirit wolf doesn't say anything about passing through physical attack so you can easily kill it with a blunderbuss as normal corporeal wolf?

Yes. It doesn't have the Ethereal special ability.

As for being as easy to kill...considering that the Spirit Wolf has a significant upgrade in dodge and Toughness...I'd disagree with that.

I just realized misread the question. Yes, while in spirit form _only_ the wolf would be immune to physical attacks.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:00 am

graethynne wrote:Regarding summon Elemental -

"The elemental attacks the nearest target each
round, and acts at the end of the Heroes Conflict
Line."

Is it the intention that (on a Standard result at least)
A summoned elemental is not Foe-Friendly smart? I.e.
that if a hero or ally is the closest target to an elemental
summoned by a hero or ally, that it will attack said hero
or ally? or Does Target in this case mean "enemy"?

Graethynne

The former.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

utsukushi

Postby utsukushi » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:27 pm

Two quick follow-up questions about the Kindred Magic Perk...

TorgHacker wrote:Companions of the character with the perk
Followers of the character with the perk, and
Creatures summoned by spells cast by the character with the perk?

Followers makes total sense. What do you mean by "Companions"? Is that like, Animal Companions as bought through Perks like Followers, or does that mean all your fellow PCs, as your companions, get +2 Toughness?

And the Creatures Summoned piece is seriously throwing me. I looked at the Kindred spell list and it has no summons. The only ones you could even argue are Birdswarm and Messenger Hawk, and those are just flavor text for an effect - neither has stats, so no Toughness. If you ever learn a summoning spell (which it seems would be either Skeletons, Zombies, or Elementals), you'd immediately lose this Perk, right? So... how does that come into play? I guess you could learn one through Esoteric Spell, but Esoteric Spell doesn't say you can take it more than once so you can only ever learn one such spell without breaking your specialization?

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:22 pm

utsukushi wrote:Two quick follow-up questions about the Kindred Magic Perk...

TorgHacker wrote:Companions of the character with the perk
Followers of the character with the perk, and
Creatures summoned by spells cast by the character with the perk?

Followers makes total sense. What do you mean by "Companions"? Is that like, Animal Companions as bought through Perks like Followers, or does that mean all your fellow PCs, as your companions, get +2 Toughness?

Animal companions bought through Perks.

And the Creatures Summoned piece is seriously throwing me. I looked at the Kindred spell list and it has no summons. The only ones you could even argue are Birdswarm and Messenger Hawk, and those are just flavor text for an effect - neither has stats, so no Toughness. If you ever learn a summoning spell (which it seems would be either Skeletons, Zombies, or Elementals), you'd immediately lose this Perk, right? So... how does that come into play? I guess you could learn one through Esoteric Spell, but Esoteric Spell doesn't say you can take it more than once so you can only ever learn one such spell without breaking your specialization?

Birdswarm stat block is on page 132.

And these aren't the only spells that are going to exist for all time.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Rabbitball

Postby Rabbitball » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:32 pm

graethynne wrote:
Rabbitball wrote:
If you're caught, you're moving.

I don't think I understand your answer to the second question though. The Standard effect requires a target suffer shock in order to swept along.

The Good and Outstanding results don't appear to explicitly require that. Is that the intended outcome or should they also require a target to suffer shock in order to sweep along targets?

Thanks,

Graydon

The answer I gave was how I designed it. Apparently, editing put the requirement in on Standard that you need to suffer at least 1 Shock, so this is an issue that has crossed above my pay grade to answer. I think it depends on why the spell was reworked to include the requirement at Standard, a discussion that took place after I turned the spell in.
Dominick Riesland, aka Rabbitball
Co-author, Aysle Sourcebook for Torg Eternity
Creator of the Cosmversal Grimoire
"Those who will not follow are doomed to lead"—Anarchist, Magic: the Gathering

Rabbitball

Postby Rabbitball » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:34 pm

TorgHacker wrote:
graethynne wrote:Just noticed this,

Is there a functional difference between Duration 24 hours (Animate Skeleton) and Duration 1 Day (Block Scrying)?

Thanks,

Graethynne

No.

The difference is when they were designed. If they were designed on the same day, I would have used the same language to describe the duration... :lol:
Dominick Riesland, aka Rabbitball
Co-author, Aysle Sourcebook for Torg Eternity
Creator of the Cosmversal Grimoire
"Those who will not follow are doomed to lead"—Anarchist, Magic: the Gathering

Istrian

Postby Istrian » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:36 am

Question about Tolwyn and House Tancred. Tolwyn was dead for a while after dealing with the Carredon so I assume a new leader was chosen for House Tancred. Then Tolwyn came back and House Tancred is loyal to her (I assume she became the leader again). What happened to the previous leader? Were they happy to hand back command? Did they accompany Ardinay on her crusade? Are they plotting to overthrow or oppose Tolwyn?

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:38 am

Istrian wrote:Question about Tolwyn and House Tancred. Tolwyn was dead for a while after dealing with the Carredon so I assume a new leader was chosen for House Tancred. Then Tolwyn came back and House Tancred is loyal to her (I assume she became the leader again). What happened to the previous leader? Were they happy to hand back command? Did they accompany Ardinay on her crusade? Are they plotting to overthrow or oppose Tolwyn?

Don’t know! That’s the kind of detail that’s best left for individual campaigns.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:21 pm

I've got to go read again, see how many major houses there are and how many minor, and where each falls on the "Uthorian vs Ardinay" axis.

Of course, there are those who *used* to support her that now don't, and vice-versa, and I can only imagine that this is a VERY awkward talk for some families.

Wonder how hereditary things are? I assume "An heir and a spare" is the norm for nobility but with Ardinay as queen and Tolwyn as a former house leader, I'm thinking it's "Firstborn, second-born, then the others" instead of "first-born MALE" in terms of inheritance. So women can, and do, lead houses just fine thankyouverymuch.

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”