Cyberpapacy Preview #3 - Magic

TorgHacker

Cyberpapacy Preview #3 - Magic

Postby TorgHacker » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:30 am

Publishing this preview a couple of days early since I'll be travelling on Thursday.

https://www.ulisses-us.com/cyberpapacy-preview-3-magic/

Even though I'll be gone for almost 4 weeks, I'll have previews queued up for the usual Torg Thursday.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Zackzenobi

Re: Cyberpapacy Preview #3 - Magic

Postby Zackzenobi » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:42 am

Now I Really want to play a Demon summoning Warlock! Lol

Makes me miss my abandoned Barcker Archetype with the (backpack sized) Demon Familiar Custom Perk. Granted I actually have something more interesting IMHO. But demon familiars taunting Bag guys has so much comedy potential.

That being said I love the 3 different schools of magic users that you have here in the Cyberpapacy! Can't wait to see more. Thank you for all you do.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:07 am

Zackzenobi wrote:Now I Really want to play a Demon summoning Warlock! Lol

Makes me miss my abandoned Barcker Archetype with the (backpack sized) Demon Familiar Custom Perk. Granted I actually have something more interesting IMHO. But demon familiars taunting Bag guys has so much comedy potential.

That being said I love the 3 different schools of magic users that you have here in the Cyberpapacy! Can't wait to see more. Thank you for all you do.

Yeah, I'd considered having support for Storm Knight warlocks but decided not to for three reasons:

1. Although there are some differences between real-life Wicca and the witches in the Cyberpapacy, they're much closer tied this time around. So including them would be Not Good [tm]

2. Cavorting with demons is better handled in Orrorsh.

3. The Foresworn are an example of losing your values for expediency purposes. They not only don't care about summoning demons, they don't much care what happens to innocents when it happens, just as long as the Church is harmed. Which of course, plays into the Church's hands anyways, but you can't convince the Foresworn of that.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

utsukushi

Postby utsukushi » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:35 pm

On the one hand, I know a lot of players are going to see that and want to play one, because players are just like that. And we do already have examples in a number of Cosms where Storm Knights can be a little morally ambiguous, having access to archetypes that might be considered a little on the dark side. But I also really like having enemies who aren't unambiguously enemies; they're dangerous, but technically on the same side. That opens up whole different opportunities than just another PC option -- now we have scenarios where you have to fight alongside the Church to stop a demon-summoner who's causing too much damage, or where the Delphi Council has made a temporary, ah, devil's bargain with these Foresworn to accomplish a goal -- so what do the PCs do when their ally puts innocents in danger?

As a player (and given that in feel, they're super close to my Brigid) I totally get the disappointment, but I think they offer needed depth to our NPC groups.

...So, this is starting to seem like time to ask. We've talked about it now and again, but it's always been too far in the future to really discuss. IS there going to be any kind of modular magic, like the way oTorg mages could modify spells on the fly? I've always said the CyberPapacy seemed more the place for it than Aysle to me, but if it doesn't make it into one of those two, it's not happening.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:12 pm

utsukushi wrote:On the one hand, I know a lot of players are going to see that and want to play one, because players are just like that. And we do already have examples in a number of Cosms where Storm Knights can be a little morally ambiguous, having access to archetypes that might be
considered a little on the dark side. But I also really like having enemies who aren't unambiguously enemies; they're dangerous, but technically on the
same side. That opens up whole different opportunities than just another PC option -- now we have scenarios where you have to fight alongside the Church to stop a demon-summoner who's causing too much damage, or where the Delphi Council has made a temporary, ah, devil's bargain with these Foresworn to accomplish a goal -- so what do the PCs do when their ally puts innocents in danger?

Yeah, that's another aspect to it. The Church is this huge monolithic entity. The Foresworn give us another group of antagonists that we can use.

As a player (and given that in feel, they're super close to my Brigid) I totally get the disappointment, but I think they offer needed depth to our NPC groups.

...So, this is starting to seem like time to ask. We've talked about it now and again, but it's always been too far in the future to really discuss. IS there going to be any kind of modular magic, like the way oTorg mages could modify spells on the fly? I've always said the CyberPapacy seemed more the place for it than Aysle to me, but if it doesn't make it into one of those two, it's not happening.

It's tricky to balance, but I can see those being Perks at some point.

The fact is that even if we planned to do it, we probably would have cut it now. I actually had to cut _thirty_ pages to put the sourcebook into layout. There's a LOT of stuff that isn't going in the book, at least for now. It'll all show up eventually but just because something isn't in the hopper now doesn't mean it never will be.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:13 pm

Actually, the next time I run Hostel Takeover, I’m going to have the Macguffin be summoned by a Foresworn. I like the intentional demon better than the oops-I-did-it-again Storm Knight, though that had its own charm, mainly in the consequences department.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

graethynne

Postby graethynne » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:52 pm

Kuildeous wrote:Actually, the next time I run Hostel Takeover, I’m going to have the Macguffin be summoned by a Foresworn. I like the intentional demon better than the oops-I-did-it-again Storm Knight, though that had its own charm, mainly in the consequences department.

Yoinked! Thanks!

Grae

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:56 am

I can see at least 2 of my players wanting to play Foresworn. The concept is great, but I would include the ability to summon and control demons (basically a demon companion).
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:34 am

*looks sheepish about those thirty pages*

Now, as for magic? This is one I've been waiting for. Good witches, bad witches, witches somewhere in between... there's a lot of room for morally gray activities that other cosms aren't as handy for (Aysle and Nile, for instance, have much better defined Good and Evil, with less room in between) but with the CYberpapacy, you have lots of chances to pull out "The ends justify the means!" and tell stories if you agree, or disagree, with that approach. A Resistance cell blowing up a Cardinal, knowing that dozens of innocents will be wounded or die in the attack... do you stop them or help them? A witch that's led a peaceful life for years sees her grove under assault, snaps, and starts corrupting the land to draw from it enough power to destroy her enemies? How does your group deal with that?

You also get the "Evolve or die" cyberwitches against the older, more traditional ones, people accusing others of witchcraft (true or not), Evil Eyes and curses... there's a lot going on under the hood on this one and one of the areas that, I think, people will find a BUNCH of story potential for the Cyberpapacy that never got looked at much in oTorg.

Resistance comes in many forms and allies come in surprising shapes. When in the Cyberpapacy, the big question remains: Who do you trust?

utsukushi

Postby utsukushi » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:36 am

Wakshani wrote:When in the Cyberpapacy, the big question remains: Who do you trust?

Well, no one, obviously. Also, keep your laser handy. :lol:

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”