Bulletsmith is contradictory, but when?

Atama

Re: Bulletsmith is contradictory, but when?

Postby Atama » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:28 pm

Sword of Spirit wrote:Here's a question. Can an Orrorsh native in Orrorsh pick up and use the basic metal slugs in a Slayer's Gun? I would assume they can. Does that mean that, outside of the basic bullets, this is just a really good tech 18 gun?

If you can get ammo for it I guess. I could see an NPC villain who has a gun taken off the body of a dead monster hunter who can make slugs that fit it, but lacking alchemical knowledge can only make the plain metal ones. Maybe offer himself as a gun-for-hire.
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

pkitty

Postby pkitty » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:47 am

The gun and bullets themselves are a contradiction, but that doesn't really mean much because you don't risk disconnecting for carrying gear, but for actually using it. So if your bulletsmith is trying to vault a Merritikan chasm and rolls a 1, she isn't going to disconnect just because she happens to be carrying a slayer's gun.

The exception is Surge. If a bulletsmith has absolutely nothing else contradictory but is carrying a slayer's gun outside of Orrorsh, Surge coming up means she needs to roll to avoid disconnecting on a 1.
Our group's Torg Eternity wiki page
  • House rules, indexes of all perks/spells/etc, form-fillable character sheet, and more

ZorValachan

Postby ZorValachan » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:15 pm

pkitty wrote:The gun and bullets themselves are a contradiction, but that doesn't really mean much because you don't risk disconnecting for carrying gear, but for actually using it. So if your bulletsmith is trying to vault a Merritikan chasm and rolls a 1, she isn't going to disconnect just because she happens to be carrying a slayer's gun.

The exception is Surge. If a bulletsmith has absolutely nothing else contradictory but is carrying a slayer's gun outside of Orrorsh, Surge coming up means she needs to roll to avoid disconnecting on a 1.

Even if the bulletsmith is not carrying the gun, he rolls for Surge. Surge is not based on gear, but if you're from another reality (or contrary gear/perks/etc if it's the same reality)
- Leamon Crafton Jr.
Infiniverse Exchange author:

The Paraverse: An entire alternate Cosmverse
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/237607/

The Knights of the Road: Archtypes designed as a Storm Knight group
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/228365/

utsukushi

Postby utsukushi » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:35 pm

pkitty wrote:The gun and bullets themselves are a contradiction, but that doesn't really mean much because you don't risk disconnecting for carrying gear, but for actually using it. So if your bulletsmith is trying to vault a Merritikan chasm and rolls a 1, she isn't going to disconnect just because she happens to be carrying a slayer's gun.

I mean... yeah, but I have to say, I find people who carry slayer's guns make Fire Combat rolls with them fairly often. So it does come up.

greybird

Postby greybird » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:50 pm

The reasoning I'm seeing for the gun with basic rounds being a contradiction is that the gun is implied as being created specifically to support alchemical ammuniton, while a normal gun cannot. You cannot fire these bullets without the perk, so you can't just hire a gunsmith to create a metal-and-wood gun to fire them. There is something that comes with the slayer's gun that isn't just mechanical. That suggests to me that the gun itself is designed around alchemical principles (and may actually use alchemical components), and it is principles that create a contradiction when they're not supported.

Atama

Postby Atama » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:47 pm

greybird wrote:The reasoning I'm seeing for the gun with basic rounds being a contradiction is that the gun is implied as being created specifically to support alchemical ammuniton, while a normal gun cannot. You cannot fire these bullets without the perk, so you can't just hire a gunsmith to create a metal-and-wood gun to fire them. There is something that comes with the slayer's gun that isn't just mechanical. That suggests to me that the gun itself is designed around alchemical principles (and may actually use alchemical components), and it is principles that create a contradiction when they're not supported.

That was my point in my third post, I’m glad you agree. :)
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

Brandon_C

Postby Brandon_C » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:35 am

Heh. A percussion version of the Slayer's Gun?

https://www.forgottenweapons.com/bigges ... colt-1855/

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”