Physical Adept?

Zackzenobi

Physical Adept?

Postby Zackzenobi » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:59 am

Is it me or is the math just not there for a Physical Adept Archetype? I always loved it in Shadowrun. For those unfamiliar it's a mage who focuses their magic on increasing their physical combat abilities.

So if we look at spells the help physical combat, the two that stand out are Enhance and Haste. Haste being the harder to caste takes Alteration 14. With 3 adds in Alteration stats become:
Cha-5
Dex-8
Min-11
Str-8
Spi-8

Need Dex + Str for physical fighting and Spi for Shock points. Now an Outstanding success with Enhance will pump one Attribute to 11. And we need to cast it twice for both Dex and Str. But it wont increase Toughness so we are still a little squishy with an 8 assuming we grab some +2 armor of some kind that gets us to 10.

Does this seem a viable path to take? Am I missing something? Thoughts?

Wakshani

Re: Physical Adept?

Postby Wakshani » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:51 pm

No one's set up for that role, so there're no rules in support of it.

The closest is via Martial Arts and maybe Psionics.

but Martial Arts, via Pan Pacidica, is probably the way to go. (Add in a point of Faith and take the Perk that allows you to punch spirits in the face for bonus PhysAd goodness!)

Atama

Postby Atama » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:33 pm

An Alteration mage might be able to do it.

Grab Armor, Enhance, and Haste. All three use Alteration and can enhance the caster’s defense and other stats. Only Armor uses Concentration while the other 2 have a 3 round duration. The complication is in only casting one spell a round, if you want all 3 active then it will take a few rounds to “build up”. Though Haste will make it easier to do multi-actions.

I don’t think you’ll be anywhere near what an Adept in Shadowrun can do, but the concept could be similar.
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:34 pm

Might be something that a player works toward. Maybe Haste is not something they should try to get as a starting character. With a Mind of 10 or even 9, the adept can learn Haste after the second or third Act. Not too shabby.

Or if you must get Haste, then recognize you’ll be squishy in other areas until you improve them. Maybe the Spirit won’t be that high. Maybe you need to rely on getting more cyberware.

If you’re looking at a character that needs to have four high attributes and can only spend 40 points, sacrifices must be made.

One of my players did something similar, but she has a 5 Strength. Her attack is actually a blast power from Nile with the restriction that it can only be used in melee. Of course, that doesn’t help if your character concept is that you’re not Nile.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:55 pm

A lot of it comes down to what you want to do. Multiple actions? Whirlwind Attack's a good stand-in. Punch through walls? Brawler. Do impossible things? Str 10 and the Core Earth perk that gives you 4 Possibilities whose name I blanked on right as I needed it.

You got options is what I'm trying to say.

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:55 pm

There’s numerous spells towards this goal in the Aysle book. Peak performance, inner barbarian/berserker, there’s a souped-up haste, maybe some other stuff.

Savioronedge

Postby Savioronedge » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:31 pm

Fezig was my Troll Physical Adept. I learned many things about Shadowrun from him. He is unrecreatable in Eternity, and that is how it should be.

However, the PA concept can be translated using Perks. A SR-PA doesn't cast spells; he constantly channels magic through his physical being.

I would reskin Super Attribute as the start of a PA character.

Atama

Postby Atama » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:35 pm

Savioronedge wrote:Fezig was my Troll Physical Adept. I learned many things about Shadowrun from him. He is unrecreatable in Eternity, and that is how it should be.

However, the PA concept can be translated using Perks. A SR-PA doesn't cast spells; he constantly channels magic through his physical being.

I would reskin Super Attribute as the start of a PA character.

That’s a good point. Pulp Powers can be magic-based if you want them to be. Super Attribute and maybe Force Field with magic origins might be a good way to simulate it.
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

QuarrelBlue

Postby QuarrelBlue » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:31 am

If you are an Ayslish, maybe getting Unarmed Strike as a Heirloom can represent the Arcane Art of Mystic Fist that turns your own body into a magic weapon, provided there isn't any rule forbidding it. And more mundane Perks like Brawler, Wrestler, Trademark Weapon(Unarmed Strike) can complement your Magical Punch to be more devastating.

And if you are an Elf, I've heard the Aysle Backer Archetype to come will have an Elf Monk, who also have some mystic physical combat technique.
(Elf Monk's Way is rather Spiritual than Magical, though.)

mystic101

Postby mystic101 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:18 am

The Elven Monk will feel and operate a lot like a physical adept. From what I remember, Shadowrun's physical adepts didn't pump themselves up with temporary magic effects. Rather, they infused magic into their bodies on a more long-term basis.

Ayslish monks will have a perk that, among other things, alters how the Law of Enchantment affects them. The enchantments will go into them, rather than their equipment, in order for them to regularly accomplish a variety of wu xia-like effects.

And, while not part of the starting chassis of the archetype, I specifically left some design space for temporary spell buffs by name-checking a few sub-orders of monks that dabble in spells, in addition to their normal base abilities.

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”