Physical Adept?

Atama

Re: Physical Adept?

Postby Atama » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:07 pm

Spatula wrote:The rules for the Skill enchant say, "Test must use item enchanted" and "The enchanted item provides a bonus to the skill being tested when the item is used," so applying it to a tattoo is debatable? I suppose you're moving your body to make melee attacks & to defend oneself, and the tattoo is on the body...

But the tattoo isn’t doing anything. Unless you have prehensile tattoos that stretch out like pseudopods to grab and wield a weapon (possible new Perk there) they aren’t involved.

I could see an argument that the tattoos are used in social situations. If they denote a certain status you could use them when trying to Intimidate or Persuade a person. Other than that I don’t see how the tattoos are being “used” in a test.
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:43 am

QuarrelBlue wrote:Finding that a Physical Adept can be a Weapon Master, I searched for another way to enchant one's own body...and here it is:

General Gears can have enchantment like Skill +1, Favoring, or Mitigating, and the Gear can be Tribal Tattoos(or Ayslish equivalent of it) from the Core Rulebook. So, for example, if you wear Tribal Tattoos enchanted with Skill +1: Melee Weapons and Favoring: Melee weapons as a Heirloom, you essentially have your magic tattooed into your body for improved swordsmanship!
(And, as long as I understand the output from the Character Generator correctly, it is as legit as wearing an amulet of swordsmanship.)

You can also purchase some enchantment with Wealthy, and Tribal Paint is more affordable for that, but Favoring is too expensive for this so it is for one of multiple minor enchanted items.

You can't get Weapon-only enchantment like Damage increase or Wounding this way, but your Tattoo Magic works on you regardless of whatever weapon you use(as long as the weapon can be handled with the enchanted skill).

I like the idea of tattoos providing enhancements, BUT enhanced items can be taken away. Tattoos can't. So where are their downsides? I prefer the idea that they take shock to power al. la. Martial Arts.
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

Zackzenobi

Postby Zackzenobi » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:25 pm

Just wanted to thank everyone for your comments and insight. I have decided to go in a different direction thanks to you all.

Love the forums.

QuarrelBlue

Postby QuarrelBlue » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:54 am

Spatula wrote:The rules for the Skill enchant say, "Test must use item enchanted" and "The enchanted item provides a bonus to the skill being tested when the item is used," so applying it to a tattoo is debatable?

Uh-oh, so no amulet of swordsmanship?
...How about Favoring and mitigating -2? If they dosen't have such limitation, the concept can still be saved, although a bit cost-ineffective. If they do I have to fall back onto previous Killing Hands Adept concept(unless a better solution comes up, or worse, something states that Unarmed Strike cannot be a Heirloom).

GeniusCodeMonkey wrote:I like the idea of tattoos providing enhancements, BUT enhanced items can be taken away. Tattoos can't. So where are their downsides? I prefer the idea that they take shock to power al. la. Martial Arts.

Tatoos can be taken away(in a quite gruesome manner), but I think the fact that the difficculty of taking Tattoos off itself can be the downside; even if you can hide your Tattoos, you can't prevent a simple Detect Magic from blowing your disguise away!

Zackzenobi wrote:Just wanted to thank everyone for your comments and insight. I have decided to go in a different direction thanks to you all.

Love the forums.

I see. Good Luck!

mystic101

Postby mystic101 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:22 pm

I don’t think a tattoo would have to be ripped off entirely to say it stops working. A cut across it that leaves a scar could be enough to “break” it, for purposes of the enchantment. I don’t think there’s any need to give it any extra protection over other normal gear, simply due to its nature.

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:22 pm

mystic101 wrote:I don’t think a tattoo would have to be ripped off entirely to say it stops working. A cut across it that leaves a scar could be enough to “break” it, for purposes of the enchantment. I don’t think there’s any need to give it any extra protection over other normal gear, simply due to its nature.

So taking a wound would negate 1 tattoo until healed.
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

Atama

Postby Atama » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:29 pm

I just think the rules don’t support magical tattoos. If you want to invent a Perk or house rule it that’s cool.

I like the idea of magical tattoos but feels more like a PP thing.

Zackzenobi

Postby Zackzenobi » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:54 pm

Atama wrote:I just think the rules don’t support magical tattoos. If you want to invent a Perk or house rule it that’s cool.

The problem there is Pan-Pacifica doesnt support Magic. And I'm not sure the Spirit axiom of 8 can get us there either.

mystic101

Postby mystic101 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:10 pm

GeniusCodeMonkey wrote:So taking a wound would negate 1 tattoo until healed.

Well, maybe, if it happened to hit the right place on the body. Though even a Shock-only hit could be fluffed as causing a minor cut that “disables” the tattoo, also.

Ultimately, just as with any non-perk-protected gear, it’s all gm fiat in the end.

Interestingly, it occurs to me that the Living Land would be just as dangerous for “tattoo gear” as it would for any other items. Not only can you rationalize that “dead thing” inks break down faster in the LL environment, but there’s also a world law that says scars get left behind whenever someone is injured in the LL and then heals. Scars that run an additional chance of breaking the tattoo’s pattern.

Again, it’s all gm fiat, and even then, only if they’re allowing it to begin with. I’d suggest taking a magical heirloom perk to provide it with perk protection, if it is being allowed.

Atama

Postby Atama » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:21 pm

Zackzenobi wrote:
Atama wrote:I just think the rules don’t support magical tattoos. If you want to invent a Perk or house rule it that’s cool.

The problem there is Pan-Pacifica doesnt support Magic. And I'm not sure the Spirit axiom of 8 can get us there either.

That’s a good point. They’d be more likely to have psychic tattoos, or tattoos with circuitry imbedded in them.

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”