Physical Adept?

Zackzenobi

Re: Physical Adept?

Postby Zackzenobi » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:49 am

Ok that's neat. I haven't read "Snow Crash" yet. And when I play D&D I want my Peanut Butter separate from my chocolate. I'm weird but I dont dig Psionics in Fantasy. YMMV

So does the Tattoo Artist give the Tattooee new powers or just enhance her existing powers.?

Would she touch the Tattoo to activate it and then have to get it "Touched "Up"?

Seems like a lot of different ways it could work.

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:51 pm

Zackzenobi wrote:Ok that's neat. I haven't read "Snow Crash" yet. And when I play D&D I want my Peanut Butter separate from my chocolate. I'm weird but I dont dig Psionics in Fantasy. YMMV

So does the Tattoo Artist give the Tattooee new powers or just enhance her existing powers.?

Would she touch the Tattoo to activate it and then have to get it "Touched "Up"?

I would play it that the artist doesn't provide any power, but somehow brings it out of the person being tattooed.

Tattoos themselves wound be intricate, so they would require a high level of skill, but if you were to go to an artist and say draw that on this chakra and make it exactly 2.5 inches by 3.2 inches, centred on x it would have the desired effect as long as your Psychically active. A sloppy tattoo could have weird side effects or an awesome one by a genius artist might have bonuses.

I would play it that some kind of activation would be needed, like seeing and tracing it with your finger or similar (game effect 1 round to activate on some powers); or maybe when the physic activates the tattoo it burns with psychic fire (takes shock to activate, very Tharkold). But the BELIEF by the Psychic and anyone that sees it should be what makes it possible; this brings in the social element of Psionic powers.

Personally I think I'll run this more in PP than Tharkold as tattoos are frowned upon in Japan so are hidden and fit more in with the Storm Knights as underground resistance fighters.

I would have tattoos as static effects, so they only ever do the base result, but you don't need to worry about concentration checks but everything else is the same.

I would also have special inks that allows a tattoo to be created with an outstanding effect but only on 1 tattoo, this would require an adventure to find or as an heirloom at character gen.
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

Atama

Postby Atama » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:56 pm

Zackzenobi wrote:Ok that's neat. I haven't read "Snow Crash" yet. And when I play D&D I want my Peanut Butter separate from my chocolate. I'm weird but I dont dig Psionics in Fantasy. YMMV

Here is the D20 version:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items ... attoos.htm

I like the idea of having to touch a tattoo to activate it. It adds an extra wrinkle, that you can’t use a tattoo if you are unable to reach it. (Full body armor, or your hands are busy, etc.) Though in my idea for Torg, you can still use abilities without the tattoo, you just don’t enjoy the bonuses.

ETA: Here is an article with more info on the Wizards site:
http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp? ... /20031225a
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:01 pm

Atama wrote:

Here is the D20 version:

I like the idea of having to touch a tattoo to activate it. It adds an extra wrinkle, that you can’t use a tattoo if you are unable to reach it. (Full body armor, or your hands are busy, etc.) Though in my idea for Torg, you can still use abilities without the tattoo, you just don’t enjoy the bonuses.

... enjoy the bonuses... hmmm.. so maybe tattoos don't only provide powers, but also enhances them by making some powers favoured? Or just removes the concentration checks.
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

Atama

Postby Atama » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:25 pm

GeniusCodeMonkey wrote:
Atama wrote:

Here is the D20 version:

... enjoy the bonuses... hmmm.. so maybe tattoos don't only provide powers, but also enhances them by making some powers favoured? Or just removes the concentration checks.

My idea was that for each power there is a separate tattoo that represents that power. If a tattoo is touched when the power is activated, it “wakes up” and becomes animated (a dragon may twist around, a wheel may spin, a warrior may go into a combat stance). When you roll for that power a failure halves the Shock damage (like what the Hexxer MK I Cyberware does for a spell caster). In addition, a power that requires concentration has its penalty halved (so a -1 instead of -2 cumulative penalty). A tattoo is like a psionic capacitor that reduces the strain of using the power.
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

QuarrelBlue

Psychic Tatoos(Re: Physical Adept?)

Postby QuarrelBlue » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:21 am

Zackzenobi wrote:Dont take this the wrong way but I'm still trying to wrap my head around how tattoos give Psychic powers?
Guess I'm not thinking outside the box enough?

My small ideas for how Psychic Tattoos work...

*)Tattoos are often weared for identity, and Psychic Tattoos are specially arranged to enhance your psychic self-image and thus psychic Ego.
*)Psychic Tattoos project specific images to the collective unconscious and thus help drawing power from it.
*)Some kind of Psychic Conductor Material is used on certain patterns in Psychic Tattoos, and it helps psychic energy flow to manifest powers.
*)Needles for Psychic Tattoos work like exotic acupuncture, stimulating the recipients' nerves to awaken the unused part of their brain.

Zackzenobi wrote:So does the Tattoo Artist give the Tattooee new powers or just enhance her existing powers.?

Considering the case that Tattooing works as an initiation, "Opening an Eye" to new powers with Psychic Tattoos would be cool.
For touch-activate, it's not good for Pan-Pacifica Yakuza Psychics. Since they often wear tattoos on their back, it forces them to scratch their back every time using their powers. Just being bare-back and showing off their Tattoos(and concentrating and/or impressive bragging if needs more) should work.

"Don't you dare say you have forgotten seeing this blizzard of cherry blossoms!"

Blightcrawler

Postby Blightcrawler » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:47 pm

Atama wrote:I like the idea of magical tattoos but feels more like a PP thing.

Given that Celts commonly used tattoos, and Vikings probably did (there's only a small number of regional reports), it feels very much like a part of Aysle. At the very least, it could easily be part of Earth's influence on Aysle.

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”