Mental powers questions

Istrian

Mental powers questions

Postby Istrian » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:09 am

I am not completely clear about how Read mind and Mind sense work.

Read mind's duration is 1 minute. So far I have assumed the power lets the psychic see 1 minute of the target's memories, however I am not sure if this minute can be split into multiple fragments, for example see 30 seconds from 10 years ago, 10 seconds from 5 minutes ago, etc.

For Mind sense, does it also detect the location of the sentient minds? When it detects surface emotions and psychic ability, does it detect precisely which person in radius this concerns or is it more a general feeling ("you can sense four people with psychic powers in the area")?

Atama

Re: Mental powers questions

Postby Atama » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:23 am

Istrian wrote:I am not completely clear about how Read mind and Mind sense work.

Read mind's duration is 1 minute. So far I have assumed the power lets the psychic see 1 minute of the target's memories, however I am not sure if this minute can be split into multiple fragments, for example see 30 seconds from 10 years ago, 10 seconds from 5 minutes ago, etc.

“Duration” for powers always means that’s how long the power lasts. So a successful Read Mind lets you read what a person is actively thinking and feeling for up to a minute. After that minute is over you’d need to use the power again to continue. Higher than a standard success means you also have that minute to dig through memories.

For Mind sense, does it also detect the location of the sentient minds? When it detects surface emotions and psychic ability, does it detect precisely which person in radius this concerns or is it more a general feeling ("you can sense four people with psychic powers in the area")?

This I don’t know and it’s a good question. If you can’t know where they are then arguably increasing the range can be counterproductive. If someone is very close but hiding, detecting them when the power range is 50m narrows it down better than if the range is 100m. Which ironically can mean that if you’re trying to find someone it’s better to not roll more than a standard success. But again I can’t tell from the description of the power whether the power is that specific. I’d suggest that an Outstanding roll at least should let you be able to point in their direction and give you a good idea how far they are within the 100m range. But that’s just my opinion.
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”