Cyberpapacy Preview #9 - The GodNet (Part 2)

TorgHacker

Re: Cyberpapacy Preview #9 - The GodNet (Part 2)

Postby TorgHacker » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:10 pm

GeniusCodeMonkey wrote:
TorgHacker wrote:
Badger3d wrote:I like a mix of pronouns, rather then all he, she, or they. But at times it can be confusing especially when the pronoun changes within the same section, and your unsure if the author is referring to a new person, or not.

Yeah, the style guide is that you're not supposed to switch in the same section.

There was a time in the '90s when every new system used she instead of he, I always thought it was to get more female gamers interested in the hobby. Changing to 'they' would be better, more generic.

It would be interesting to find out what pronoun gets used for translated versions; if there are any translated versions?

There are, or they're being developed (I think we've got German, French, and Spanish translations).
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Yoric

Postby Yoric » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:50 pm

TorgHacker wrote:
Kanaris wrote:
Yoric wrote:I'll also admit that it comes as a (good) surprise after the Core Rules using "he" pretty much everywhere.

I agree. The OTorg rules were better on this issue, and it was a bit jarring to see the reversion to the mean.

Hmmmmmm...this comment surprised me, and I just did a search through the Core Book for 'she' and looking in reference to when it's a generic person. I can't say that they're equal with 'he' but there's a pretty significant number of them in the Perks and rules sections.

That said, the plan is that when we get to Year 2 we're going to start using the singular 'they' to refer to a generic person.

I remember it with "he" but I may be entirely wrong.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:57 pm

Yoric wrote:
TorgHacker wrote:
Kanaris wrote:
I agree. The OTorg rules were better on this issue, and it was a bit jarring to see the reversion to the mean.

Hmmmmmm...this comment surprised me, and I just did a search through the Core Book for 'she' and looking in reference to when it's a generic person. I can't say that they're equal with 'he' but there's a pretty significant number of them in the Perks and rules sections.

That said, the plan is that when we get to Year 2 we're going to start using the singular 'they' to refer to a generic person.

I remember it with "he" but I may be entirely wrong.

Was that the French translation?
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:04 pm

The hacker isn't at all how I envisioned them, but, she's super awesome and adorable so I'm *totally* fine with it. :D

When I first came on board, one of the first things I talked about was how computer stuff needed to be looked at because I come from a world full of solo adventures and the table curling up and dying while the Decker does stuff … it made sense back in '89, but in today's RPG lifestyle, it's a horrible design.

Luckily, Deanna and the crew upstairs were already ahead of that game and had Ideas. And they're *cool* and I dig 'em and I'm super jealous.

But more on that later. Like, when the book rolls out later because, you know … Reasons. :D

So I'll take a second to compliment the artist for hitting the architectural designs. The buildings look just *perfect* and I dig that!

Yoric

Postby Yoric » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:02 am

TorgHacker wrote:Was that the French translation?

I wasn't even aware that there was a French translation until I read your above message :)

pkitty

Postby pkitty » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:23 am

TorgHacker wrote:I am still going to say something about making hackers useful outside the GodNet, but I was...uh...a bit busy. For reasons. ;)

Completely understandable, and thanks for clearing up the Kickstar. . . er, the GameOn. :)

Once you've had a chance to take a breath, I would definitely like to hear more about how this book takes The Hacker Problem into account. My first impression of this article was positive at first, but then I was surprised that it was introducing Decker Perks and such, and then even more surprised that the effect seemed limited purely to useful effects while in the GodNet. Based purely on what we've seen so far, it's hard to see the (worldwide, multi-cosm) value in having even a fancy cyberdeck as equipment, much less actual Perks invested in them.

That said, you folks have certainly earned the benefit of my doubts, so I assume that this is all addressed in context I don't yet have. But it'd be great to get at least an idea of what that context is.
Our group's Torg Eternity wiki page
  • House rules, indexes of all perks/spells/etc, form-fillable character sheet, and more

utsukushi

Postby utsukushi » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:42 pm

Even offhand, the core book Cyberdeck, as I understand it, applies to all Computers rolls, so that applies in Tharkold, PP, and CE, and sometimes the Nile. (Weird Science is the sometimes-Y of reality. You can almost always say, "And sometimes the Nile.") I figure as we get newer, even shinier Cyberdecks, their benefits will apply to a lot of lower tech networks, too. But it is true that Computer type stuff is kind of weirdly limited compared to anything else. Like, most Faith-based things might be a Contradiction in many Cosms, but it's still possible. The computer side of things (including spells like Scrambler and EMP) just doesn't apply in the realities that don't meet the axiom, and that makes it a lot harder.

What I'm really trying to say is that I, too, look forward to learning how this might be addressed, because frankly, I've got nothin'. (Except maybe the fact that All Of Computing is one skill, so you have plenty of room left to also be good at, like, Fire Combat, or even more easily, Alteration and Divination. That definitely helps keep a hacker character viable, even if the hacking itself is a sometimes thing. I mean, that's honestly true for almost all of the non combat skills, one way or another. They just don't come up every Act.)

Bringing groups with you in GodNet makes perfect sense to me, though, and honestly seems like something other systems could have done if they'd just thought of it. Though I like it even better in TORG. And despite the above, I'm really hoping there are some GodNet oriented spells and miracles. Since you can learn those as part of something bigger, it seems more OK for them to be more limited in application, and the concept is just so cool.

Honestly, the CyberPapacy is the one realm I can imagine playing a whole campaign in.

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:17 pm

I hope that particular feeling only grows once you see what's under the hood. There's a lot of neat stuff going on in the CYberpapacy, letting you do action-adventure, intrigue, cool mystic stuff, high tech cyberfoo, "Who do you trust" mysteries, and a whole lot more.

There's a TON of moving parts in there!

QuarrelBlue

Postby QuarrelBlue » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:25 am

I'm glad to hear that the development team has a solution for the Hacker Problem(especially Hackers in No-Computer Land issue), even if I have to wait until all is revealed.

And "Avatars for transgender, non-binary, and genderfluid people" text answers what I was curious upon hearing the news about "Getting an upgrade in Argentina" and Cyberpapacy on Buenos Aires.
...But, does this mean the Cyberchurch is more benevolent and inclusive toward those people than many of the Core Earth Christianity?

a)Yes, it's an occasional irony that Social 18 invaders can actually make the world better.
b)But The Malraux Bible still has Leviticus 20:13 intact and thus may bring difficult choice to anyone who has any male friend with a same-sex partner.
c)No, and showing who you truly are to ruthless Cyberchurch is not always a good thing.

mystic101

Postby mystic101 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:16 pm

Just guessing here, but one way hackers might stay useful is that the programs on the cyberdeck might be able to be used in the real-world as well, as functionally equivalent hard- or soft-light holograms. So if someone has a program that gives them +2 to attack in the GodNet, say, then maybe they can also manifest a hard light weapon in the real world that also gives them a +2 to their attacks there. Or a program that gives +2 stealth in the GodNet might also be able to cover the hacker in a soft light holographic camouflage for the same +2 bonus in the real world, like in the Predator movies, etc. That would greatly extend the functionality of the deck, and take some of the sting out of spending precious Perk slots on customizing it with the extra programs.

Well, we'll find out soon enough. Very much looking forward to it!

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”