Cyberpapacy Sourcebook Preview Discussion

Yoric

Re: Cyberpapacy Sourcebook Preview Discussion

Postby Yoric » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:24 pm

I think that the main effect the current rules achieve wrt character improvement is to keep it balanced. Just because one character has found money in the drawer doesn't make them suddenly better than the others. While it's not necessarily realistic, I appreciate that design choice.

Savioronedge

Postby Savioronedge » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:45 pm

Yoric wrote:I think that the main effect the current rules achieve wrt character improvement is to keep it balanced. Just because one character has found money in the drawer doesn't make them suddenly better than the others. While it's not necessarily realistic, I appreciate that design choice.

D'accord!
Note: my only complaint against the Elf Quest RPG(Chaosium) was a complete lack of economic rules; one had to just guess at equipment balance.

On the other hand, my chief complaint against Eternity is how easy it is for an item based character to surpass a Casting based character. Still, I believe the developers have done an good job of threading the needle between ”He with the most money wins" and "We don't need no stinking money.".

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:12 pm

Why I asked that people use the reporting mechanism. As is, there are...

872 entries I need to go through. (Obvs lots of them are dupes)

:shock:
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Yoric

Postby Yoric » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:08 pm

TorgHacker wrote:872 entries I need to go through. (Obvs lots of them are dupes)

Didn't keep precise count, but I'm easily in the double digits. Have fun :)

Fuzzy

Postby Fuzzy » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:16 pm

You must have seriously offended the cyberpope to get such a long sentence in Purgatory... ;)

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:51 pm

On the plus side, this means that people A) are really involved with the book and B) want to know how everything works in depth.

So, kudos for the design-side!

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:16 pm

Oh yeah, I’m not complaining...

...okay, MUCH. Whining, maybe. :lol:
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Savioronedge

Postby Savioronedge » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:33 pm

TorgHacker wrote:Why I asked that people use the reporting mechanism. As is, there are...

This is why some of us wanted to be sure our issues were, well, issues, and not just misunderstandings before we made reports :D

graethynne

Postby graethynne » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:47 pm

Savioronedge wrote:
TorgHacker wrote:Why I asked that people use the reporting mechanism. As is, there are...

This is why some of us wanted to be sure our issues were, well, issues, and not just misunderstandings before we made reports :D

The trick here, I think, is this:

if you ask whether something should be reported, Deanna has to look at that and respond. If the answer is no, that loop closes (at one look). If the answer is yes, she has to look at it a second time once it's reported and then fix it.

The second piece is that the form sorts by page number, so that duplicates can be much more swiftly evaluated there, and the feedback doesn't need a reply from Deanna, whatever the feedback brings up either needs to be changed or it doesn't.

Hence why the feedback mechanism is, at worst, slightly more efficient than forum questions and at best *significantly* more efficient than forum questions, and that still holds true even when somethings get feedback reported multiple times.

All that said, I could be messing up any number of things here, this is just my (outside) understanding of the process.

Grae

Savioronedge

Postby Savioronedge » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:09 pm

graethynne wrote:
Savioronedge wrote:
TorgHacker wrote:...[/quote...]D

...Grae

Thus the :D, :-p
Two references from fiction:
In one episode of Ranma 1/2 (MATFA*), Akane is trying to learn something very important to her, and Ranma is watching her with the oh so helpful comments, "Is it supposed to «fail» like that?", "Are you supposed to «fail»like that?" While the intent, I believe, is to paint him as a jerk (he is), there is some evidence that he really doesn't know for absolute certain that the answers to his questions are "no." In the end of that arc, he might have failed his mission if he hadn't asked those questions at that time... probably not, but within the realm of Possibility.

In the book Friday, Heinlein has the title character assigned a research project with an absurd twist. The assignor eventually admitted it was to make her use a broader scope when looking at the actual problem, which possibly leads to her very important answer.

I certainly hope any obvious typos or blatant transgressions got reported without mention on the forum. Better to have 17 reports of ”On page {Blank} paragraph {blah} sentence {x} word {y} is «it's» where contextually it should be «its»" than to have that posted even once in the forum. However, if responding to our question about the reversal of the Trial by Water helped Deana think more broadly about any of the corrections she will have to make, or about T:E in general, then I will count that as a win.

Meanwhile, sending you psychic back rubs and Excedrin, Deana. You are awesome; you got this.

*MATFA = "My all time favorite anime"

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”