Aysle Backer Archetypes

FrankG

Re: Aysle Backer Archetypes

Postby FrankG » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:16 pm

Kuildeous wrote:Nobody in my group is going to be offended by nudity or near-nudity. That's not where my concern is.

As for your PbP group, let it be known I'm always nude when I write my posts. And everyone should be offended by that!
Check out my new adventure: The Cape May Tribe - A three act adventure set in The Living Land

Padre

Postby Padre » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:31 pm

FrankG wrote:
Kuildeous wrote:Nobody in my group is going to be offended by nudity or near-nudity. That's not where my concern is.

As for your PbP group, let it be known I'm always nude when I write my posts. And everyone should be offended by that!

Ahh! I need brain bleach after image.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:31 pm

pkitty wrote:Personally I do feel like this discussion would make much more sense in the Setting forum, as it isn't a Rules thing. And I worry about the (necessary IMO) feedback on the Backer Archetype Perks getting lost in the shuffle.

I'm monitoring. No worries on that. Feedback has been noted. :-)
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:02 pm

Oh boy. This thread has drifted a *wee* bit since I last poked my head in here.

So, first, on the topic drift at hand, here's somebody that says it far better than I could,

https://www.shortpacked.com/comics/2011-12-02-sexy.png

Now, on to archetypes, first, a general question... what sort of ratio do y'all prefer between Core Earth locals and other cosm folk? Say you get 16 archetypes per cosm book, of those, how many should be CE and how many shouldn't? In *general*, mind you. Obviously there are corner cases.

Second, do you think there there's one or three that got missed? "How can you have Aysle and not give us (blank)?"

Lastly, I'm always thankful when something neat gets in there, like the Seeker, to remind me that, hey, not Generic Fantasy Realm, but *Aysle*, you know?

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:43 pm

Wakshani wrote:Now, on to archetypes, first, a general question... what sort of ratio do y'all prefer between Core Earth locals and other cosm folk? Say you get 16 archetypes per cosm book, of those, how many should be CE and how many shouldn't? In *general*, mind you. Obviously there are corner cases.

I think 12-14 from the cosm and a couple CE that are cosm-adjacent would be good. It's not that I'm against Core Earth, but when you total up the cosm books, that's going to be a lot of Core Earth. As a twist, maybe the Core Earth sourcebook will have the biggest variety of other realms since the original 16.

Obviously, for the backer archetypes, there's no way to guarantee that. People will make what they want to make independently of each other, so they can't really plan that. Sure, Darrell could try to enforce a quota, but that feels like it'd run contrary to the backer reward.

Wakshani wrote:Second, do you think there there's one or three that got missed? "How can you have Aysle and not give us (blank)?"

I felt there were too many elves, but I always get grumpy at how elves are often the golden child of RPGs. I was glad to see more dwarves. It's impossible to give everything, but there's a fair representation. I'd like to have seen a bit more faith, but you have a cleric and a druid. The runecaster got some love, as did the skald. And even the seeker got some recognition. I think a broomstick ace could've been fun, though that easily tips the gear balance, so I can't imagine that being feasible.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

Zackzenobi

Postby Zackzenobi » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:35 am

Wakshani wrote:Oh boy. This thread has drifted a *wee* bit since I last poked my head in here.

So, first, on the topic drift at hand, here's somebody that says it far better than I could,

Now, on to archetypes, first, a general question... what sort of ratio do y'all prefer between Core Earth locals and other cosm folk? Say you get 16 archetypes per cosm book, of those, how many should be CE and how many shouldn't? In *general*, mind you. Obviously there are corner cases.

Second, do you think there there's one or three that got missed? "How can you have Aysle and not give us (blank)?"

Lastly, I'm always thankful when something neat gets in there, like the Seeker, to remind me that, hey, not Generic Fantasy Realm, but *Aysle*, you know?

I'm assuming you are asking about the Official Archetypes since the Developers dont really choose what the Backers create. At least in my experience, and I have created 3 so far, with my Cyberpapacy Archetype cleared with Deanna 8 months ago. They have never even steered me in a new direction on anything.

I would say that 12-13 Archetypes of the invading reality and 3-4 CE seems a good balance. I think that 9 Core Earth Archetypes to 7 Living Land was a bit much. Contrast that to the 1 CE one we got for Nile and Aysle. I think 9 was too much and 1 was way to few.

As for what got missed, I thought Ruins Seeker was missing from the Living Land. So I made him. It seemed obvious to me that if Lost Worlds existed, there would be some Edeinos that would look for them. Hope that doesn't sound conceited. I dont remember who, but somebody mentioned CSA Warrior. A core earther who knows swordplay, jousting, etc from being a member of the renaissance fair. Have him dress like hes from Aysle, but give him Tenacious and Negation. The villians will assume he is Aylish and wont expect their Possibilities getting negated or his hidden Glock.

Yes I liked the Seeker a lot too. I wish I had done more to make The Noble Scion seem Aylish and less generic fantasy. That was a large part of why I insisted on the Pegasus Crest on his shield be visible. At least that way you get Fantasy instead of just historical warrior. In retrospect I suppose I could have had the Chosen Warrior's symbol on her bracelet be Egyptian instead of Greek. I just wanted to make her different I guess. Although, it's a lightning bolt. There has to be a Storm god somewhere in Egypt right?....

Savioronedge

Postby Savioronedge » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:28 am

Wakshani wrote:Now, on to archetypes, first, a general question... what sort of ratio do y'all prefer between Core Earth locals and other cosm folk? Say you get 16 archetypes per cosm book, of those, how many should be CE and how many shouldn't? In *general*, mind you. Obviously there are corner cases.

Each Cosm is going to feel different, but for a math floor, I would like to see 33% Cosm Natives, 27% CE→Cosm Transformed, 18% CE Natives, 20% Cosm→CE Transformed, with the last 2% as Weird...
2nd, I am still upset no one made Gervase. I thought for certain that an Edeinos Transformed with "his magic potential released" who focuses on helpful/healing type magic would be a shoe in.
The other Archetype I thought belonged here was the Neopagan...the Core Earther whose family has been blending magic and faith for centuries, starting with both Miracles and either Spellcaster or Psionics
Zackzenobi wrote: Although, it's a lightning bolt. There has to be a Storm god somewhere in Egypt right?....

Set (Seth, Suetekh), is generally considered the God of Storms...not exactly a heroic basis. However, as your archetype is obviously post-Ptolemaic, Greek works fine in Egypt.

Zackzenobi

Postby Zackzenobi » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:46 am

Savioronedge wrote:2nd, I am still upset no one made Gervase. I thought for certain that an Edeinos Transformed with "his magic potential released" who focuses on helpful/healing type magic would be a shoe in.

Set (Seth, Suetekh), is generally considered the God of Storms...not exactly a heroic basis. However, as your archetype is obviously post-Ptolemaic, Greek works fine in Egypt.

I'm not familiar with Gervasse? What is he a reference too?

And Thanks!

Savioronedge

Postby Savioronedge » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:07 am

Zackzenobi wrote:
Savioronedge wrote:2nd, I am still upset no one made Gervase. I thought for certain that an Edeinos Transformed with "his magic potential released" who focuses on helpful/healing type magic would be a shoe in.

I'm not familiar with Gervasse? What is he a reference too?

And Thanks!

Mercedes Lackey's Valdemar series. Gervase was an intelligent lizard who lived in a wild magic area. He saved a human wizard's life and was rewarded by getting his own ability to use magic unlocked, becoming the Lizard Wizard. Of course, the story is much more in depth in the books, even though it is tangential to the actual storyline.

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:08 am

Zackzenobi wrote:
Wakshani wrote:Oh boy. This thread has drifted a *wee* bit since I last poked my head in here.

I'm assuming you are asking about the Official Archetypes since the Developers dont really choose what the Backers create. At least in my experience, and I have created 3 so far, with my Cyberpapacy Archetype cleared with Deanna 8 months ago. They have never even steered me in a new direction on anything.

I would say that 12-13 Archetypes of the invading reality and 3-4 CE seems a good balance. I think that 9 Core Earth Archetypes to 7 Living Land was a bit much. Contrast that to the 1 CE one we got for Nile and Aysle. I think 9 was too much and 1 was way to few.

*bonks head onto monitor*

Wrong archetype thread, isn't it? D'oh.

This illness is just slowing me *way* down.

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”