Out of the Way!

Arcesilaus

Out of the Way!

Postby Arcesilaus » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:57 am

Nile Empire Cosm Card "Out of the Way!":
Play during a chase once someone reaches Step C. Everyone in the chase loses two Steps. If that would put a participant below Step A make a test as for a Dilemma or be KOed.

All Storm Knights gain 1 Possibility.

Ok I feel like I'm missing something here. The conditions to play the card seem pretty straightforward, as does the result that everyone in the chase loses two Steps.

My question is: who makes the test "for a Dilemma or be KOed?" A strict reading suggests that it's the PC playing the card, which also goes with the idea that the PCs each gain a Possibility for the drawback. But it could also be imagined that it means that the participant that fell below Step A should make the roll, since that's the person affected by the drawback.

I guess my real problem is that I don't understand what genre-appropriate situation this card is supposed to be simulating. The title doesn't help me at all to explain this effect in game.

Can someone help?
Life is pain, highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something. - The Dread Pirate Roberts
Professional Dungeon Master
Game reviews and GM advice

Greymarch2000

Re: Out of the Way!

Postby Greymarch2000 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:00 am

Sounds like the participant to me. Seems to be referencing a truck or pair of people carrying a pane of glass or whatever kind of obstacle you like making its way into the path of the chase and causing everyone to have to divert, slow down or crash.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:11 am

Arcesilaus wrote:Nile Empire Cosm Card "Out of the Way!":
Play during a chase once someone reaches Step C. Everyone in the chase loses two Steps. If that would put a participant below Step A make a test as for a Dilemma or be KOed.

All Storm Knights gain 1 Possibility.

Ok I feel like I'm missing something here. The conditions to play the card seem pretty straightforward, as does the result that everyone in the chase loses two Steps.

My question is: who makes the test "for a Dilemma or be KOed?" A strict reading suggests that it's the PC playing the card, which also goes with the idea that the PCs each gain a Possibility for the drawback. But it could also be imagined that it means that the participant that fell below Step A should make the roll, since that's the person affected by the drawback.

I guess my real problem is that I don't understand what genre-appropriate situation this card is supposed to be simulating. The title doesn't help me at all to explain this effect in game.

Can someone help?

The participant makes the test.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:11 am

Greymarch2000 wrote:Sounds like the participant to me. Seems to be referencing a truck or pair of people carrying a pane of glass or whatever kind of obstacle you like making its way into the path of the chase and causing everyone to have to divert, slow down or crash.

Bingo.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

pkitty

Postby pkitty » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:53 pm

Just had the party use this last session to win a chase. They were at Step C, the foes were at Step B, and when a "D" didn't come up on the initiative card, one player threw this out. Good she did, because it knocked all but one Scarab Warrior out of the chase, and they were able to deal with him and escape Cairo. Good times, good times.
Our group's Torg Eternity wiki page
  • House rules, indexes of all perks/spells/etc, form-fillable character sheet, and more

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”