Ditching Last Efforts

utsukushi

Ditching Last Efforts

Postby utsukushi » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:54 pm

We had a thread that talked about Last Ditch Effort, and I did find it, but really it was about DSRs more generally and it didn't seem quite appropriate enough to just bring it back.

But I wanted to check -- the rules for Last Ditch Effort say "Treat these as Multi-Actions with an additional -2 each..." -2 each sounds like where regular Multi-Actions give you -2 for each step, in a Last-Ditch Effort they give you -4. So doing Steps C and D at once is -4; B, C, and D is -8; and A, B, C, and D is -12. Noting that if these steps were all available on the card, the penalty would be half that because that's just regular Multi-Actions, not Last Ditch Effort.

But the example in the FAQ (and the examples given in that old thread on DSRs) make it a Multi-Action with an extra -2, period. It's just talking about the fact that a LDE has to be done by one person, but it seems to kind of offhandedly delete that "each." The FAQ says,

Q: Okay, so how does the Last-Ditch Effort work with that in consideration?

A: The Last-Ditch Effort is an exception to the normal rules, covering the entire round. While it could be done before the final round, if you do a Last-Ditch Effort, you must succeed in that round or the entire Dramatic Skill Resolution fails. One player attempts a Multi-Action to complete all the remaining steps, including those not listed on the Drama card. There is an additiona -2 penalty. If that fails, and there is another character who can take an action, it's treated as a Critical Failure and the step goes back to A. Then one person can try the final shot (at -8 because of four steps and an additional -2 penalty) and if that fails, the Dramatic Skill Resolution fails.

...which is clearly just -2 for each extra action, and then a flat -2 added on. So doing C and D is -4; B, C, and D is -6; and A, B, C, and D is -8. And if they were all available on the card, it would be -2, -4, and -6 respectively. So it works out the same if you're only doing two steps, but after that it gets a whole lot easier this way.

How is it supposed to work? Either way, I'm afraid you're probably going to have to edit the page. If it's supposed to be a flat -2 total, that needs a mention in the Errata, since the book has that wrong; if it's supposed to be -2 to each, the example needs to be corrected. (And in any case, "additional" is missing its "l" at the end, which is just an innocent typo, but as long as you're there...)

(I swear, sometimes it's like the dev team didn't expect a hoard of incredibly nitpicky OCD geeks to go over your work with a fine-toothed comb, picking apart the smallest details with a fervor usually reserved for religious scholars working in lost languages! But given that I gather you are gamers, I have no idea why not. :lol: )
Last edited by utsukushi on Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Savioronedge

Re: Ditching Last Efforts

Postby Savioronedge » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:09 pm

Just a thought I had this morning: could the "each" be referring to Last-ditch Efforts?

If the party gets impatient and one person tries an LDE on Rd 3, someone else can try it again or rd 4 and again on Rd 5.

This would make the example correct for the Rd 3 attempt, with an utter failure leading to the Rd 4 having an additional -2 penalty and 5 totaling an additional -4.

This would also mean that using an LDE just for step D, because Rd 5 has the party with C complete but there's n D on the line, would have a -2 penalty for LDE MultiAction even though there is no Multi in the Action. This makes sense to me.

utsukushi

Postby utsukushi » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:21 pm

Only one last-ditch effort may be attempted for a task—so make it count!

So... no? I don't think that's it.

Atama

Postby Atama » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:03 am

utsukushi wrote:(I swear, sometimes it's like the dev team didn't expect a hoard of incredibly nitpicky OCD geeks to go over your workwith a fine-toothed comb, picking apart the smallest details with a fervor usually reserved for religious scholars working in lost languages! But given that I gather you are gamers, I have no idea why not. :lol: )

That’s like saying someone built a house in the Midwest USA not expecting tornadoes. Sure, you know there are tornadoes in the area but since a “tornado-proof” house doesn’t exist you don’t try to make one. ;)
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”