Preview #1 - Updating a Classic

TorgHacker

Re: Preview #1 - Updating a Classic

Postby TorgHacker » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:48 pm

No, the Glory result is on a roll of 60+, not the DN+60.

The DN+5 is a Good success.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

blackwind1kaze

Postby blackwind1kaze » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:53 pm

Ah, though it still seems kind of weird, first being you need a roll without modifiers to be 60+, unless you mean the total. The second still seems to be the spacing between them, but i'm still thinking under OTorg and with limited info.
I don't always GM, but when i do, I go out in style :ugeek:

Rabbitball

Postby Rabbitball » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:46 pm

blackwind1kaze wrote:Ah, though it still seems kind of weird, first being you need a roll without modifiers to be 60+, unless you mean the total. The second still seems to be the spacing between them, but i'm still thinking under OTorg and with limited info.

You're confusing my "technical Glory" with the Glory of the original game. The original Glory was a die roll of 60+ (rerolling on 10 and 20 most of the time and augmented by additional rolls from Possibilities spent) in a Dramatic encounter. Now, apparently, any die roll of 60+ is Glory.

(For the record, my "technical" Glory was any die roll with a bonus of +25 or more after applying all card bonuses.)
Dominick Riesland, aka Rabbitball
Co-author, Aysle Sourcebook for Torg Eternity
Creator of the Cosmversal Grimoire
"Those who will not follow are doomed to lead"—Anarchist, Magic: the Gathering

blackwind1kaze

Postby blackwind1kaze » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:11 pm

Ah yeah, that's right. Thanks for correcting my thought pattern.

winstoninabox

Postby winstoninabox » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:39 pm

Rabbitball wrote:(For the record, my "technical" Glory was any die roll with a bonus of +25 or more after applying all card bonuses.)

I like the idea of the +25 Glory over the roll of 60+. I can't imagine that it makes any difference to the seeding of the story whether the outcome of the action was achieved through the chance of the die or application of the cards. To those who witnessed it, it was just something heroic that occurred.

Also, if the suggestion of producing a d20 with the Bonus Numbers on the faces rather than the regular numbers of 1 to 20 is taken up, then a Glory being +25 would fit in better with that.

Rabbitball

Postby Rabbitball » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:06 pm

winstoninabox wrote:Also, if the suggestion of producing a d20 with the Bonus Numbers on the faces rather than the regular numbers of 1 to 20 is taken up, then a Glory being +25 would fit in better with that.

I meant to chime in on this before, but the die with the bonus faces doesn't work. Suppose I get -8 on my first roll and spend a Possibility getting a +4. What is my new bonus number? You would need to know the numbers that generate those bonuses and add them together to produce your new bonus number. Also, which -1 is the 10 that entitles you to a reroll and which one is the 9 that remains -1?
Dominick Riesland, aka Rabbitball
Co-author, Aysle Sourcebook for Torg Eternity
Creator of the Cosmversal Grimoire
"Those who will not follow are doomed to lead"—Anarchist, Magic: the Gathering

winstoninabox

Postby winstoninabox » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:00 pm

Rabbitball wrote:
winstoninabox wrote:Also, if the suggestion of producing a d20 with the Bonus Numbers on the faces rather than the regular numbers of 1 to 20 is taken up, then a Glory being +25 would fit in better with that.

I meant to chime in on this before, but the die with the bonus faces doesn't work. Suppose I get -8 on my first roll and spend a Possibility getting a +4. What is my new bonus number? You would need to know the numbers that generate those bonuses and add them together to produce your new bonus number. Also, which -1 is the 10 that entitles you to a reroll and which one is the 9 that remains -1?

Ha ha, I'm gutted! I thought I was onto a good idea. Still, like I said, I'm really bad at math!
Let's hope someone makes an app that'll just do the die rolling for Torg. That'd really speed up the calculations.

blackwind1kaze

Postby blackwind1kaze » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:41 am

You would have had a good idea if it was a simple -9 to +10 roll. But I'm sure eventually there will be a app that at least calculates with inputted values for the math or goes so far as dice rolls.

winstoninabox

Postby winstoninabox » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:18 am

Well, in if you really want to read dice as they are then use the hot/cold 2d10E method that was developed some time ago. It gives about the same numbers as the the d20E with Bonus Chart. And there's no need to trust my math; it's Rabbitball guaranteed!

dev/null

Postby dev/null » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:52 pm

TorgHacker wrote:
dev/null wrote:Skipping over what it gets us, which will be discussed later, is it still achieved in the same way, with the same restrictions? If the answer is no, I suspect we have to wait, if yes, I imagine that part can be shared.

Roll of 60+. Anytime, any situation.

I saw comments from Players later on, but confirming: no longer requires a dramatic scene/situation?

We get to be glorious all the time, everywhere?

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”