Preview #1 - Updating a Classic

TorgHacker

Re: Preview #1 - Updating a Classic

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:57 pm

That's correct.

You still have to play a Glory card, but yes. Anytime, anywhere.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

lenaianel

Postby lenaianel » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:13 pm

Torg is without contest the game that granted me my better memories as a game master. I enjoyed the game, both rules and fluff wise immensely in the nineties. A few years ago i took a look at the expended and revised version and found that i couldn't master it any more and that i wanted a simpler iteration of the game.

Torg Eternity is perhaps what i have been waiting for, we'll see ...

right now here are my comments on the preview (reflecting my own opinion that everyone is free to disagree with) :

things that stay :

An ‘Eternity shard’ d20 core die (That’s right! It’s coming back!) : cool, i lost mine years ago
The Drama Deck : wouldn't be Torg without it
Possibilities : Storm knights need those
The logarithmic scale : the one thing that made the whole game works
Interaction Attacks and Approved Actions : yep ! one of my players had a Taunt "master" and it was fun
The Core Mechanic : seems logical if you keep the logarithmic scale

Success level vs effect number :
effect number was fine for me in 1991, it is not now, for 2 major reasons :
- it was use for some results (damage, effect of spells ....) but other results (social interactions, push maneuvers) used margin of success
- it produced weird results (highly skilled characters hitting for no damage and the famous glass jaw ninja problem, both weirdness that i did encounter in my campaign)
I think that margin of success is a better (more logical also) way to handle the quality of success of an action and hat it has to be used as often as possible.

Only 3 levels of success (may not be enough for me) and bonus die instead of margin of success, i'll have to try before considering any house rules. I understand it probably makes the games play faster but i think it may lack in granularity (making the logarithmic scale less relevant)

Well, all things considered i think we are on the right road for a great game.

PS : sorry if my english is not perfect (it's not used so much here in the Cyberpapacy :roll: )

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:27 pm

If you hadn't said so, I wouldn't have known at all that English wasn't your first language. :-)
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

ZeDiac

Postby ZeDiac » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:32 am

I agree with my colleague from the Cyberpapacy (french people like the game!) : I don't see the advantages of this weird "level of success" system compared to a simple "margin" system ? :|
"Storm is coming"

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:18 pm

It's faster to resolve and easier for new players to understand.

Especially after you've been playing for four hours already.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

carldot34

Postby carldot34 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:15 pm

The main thing that I want to see disappear from OTorg is the peculiar damage table. The bonus table never bothered my players but the actual damage was a pain. Check if you hit, work out the effect, compare it to Toughness and then look up that result on yet another table. One table at a time is enough!

Can you give us an example of how damage is applied to characters and monsters? Is it toughness (possibly plus armour) subtracted from base weapon damage (possibly plus a D6) to give the shock damage taken? Are the K's and O's gone? Which also confused things, I think.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:23 pm

I'll be previewing combat in the future, so I have to leave it for then.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Rabbitball

Postby Rabbitball » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:25 pm

ZeDiac wrote:I agree with my colleague from the Cyberpapacy (french people like the game!) : I don't see the advantages of this weird "level of success" system compared to a simple "margin" system ? :|

As I've mentioned on the forums before, if you don't like the level of success thing, just take half your margin and use that. It hovers near the same expected value for most results, but translates higher totals into higher effects without a second die roll.
Dominick Riesland, aka Rabbitball
Co-author, Aysle Sourcebook for Torg Eternity
Creator of the Cosmversal Grimoire
"Those who will not follow are doomed to lead"—Anarchist, Magic: the Gathering

carldot34

Postby carldot34 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:56 am

Rereading the character preview, it mentions the skill list has been pared back. Does this mean that all the common skills will be listed on the character sheet? It was always a pain that the player had to write ALL their skills on a blank character sheet.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:00 am

No, but the combat skills and interaction skills will be.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”