Here you can discuss anything about today's preview:

http://www.ulisses-us.com/torg-eternity ... osm-decks/
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

lokicaprion

Re: Preview #9 - The Drama, Destiny, and Cosm Decks

Postby lokicaprion » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:13 am

So this article answered my most burning rules-related questions (most of what I care about is setting) - How does the Drama Deck work?

I really like the ideas of separating the decks, but not sure how I feel about there being three of them. Initiative flips being separate from cards in hand make sense. The cosm deck seems like a great thematic tool, but I worry about how cumbersome that could be. It's probably one of those things that I'd need to actually play with before I can come to a full decision.

I do agree that those "cosm specific" drama deck additions we got in the Infiniverse updates were largely useless - I don't think I've ever seen the Net Gain card given to anybody from or in the Cyberpapcy, to date.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:16 am

One of the key things about the Cosm Deck is that you generally only dip into it once at the start of each Act. So you're not actively drawing from it like the Drama or Destiny Decks.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

lokicaprion

Postby lokicaprion » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:24 am

Right, that probably eases up a lot of the possible unwieldiness of it all. Just deal out one card to each player at the start and it's never touched again.

So am I reading it correctly that each player gets 4 cards plus 1 cosm card?

Also, is it a flat 4 cards per player, regardless of how many players?

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:27 am

Yes, and yes.

Though sometimes the players get extra Destiny cards in their hand.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:30 am

I could see cleaning up the meatspace of the game by having the Drama Deck be available in an app. The Destiny deck and Cosm decks, however, would likely still benefit from having physical cards. I suppose the Cosm decks could be tracked by the app, since each player only draws one at the beginning of the Act. But then it'd be a hassle for the player to check in on what card he had. He'd have to mark it down somewhere, which defeats the purpose of cleaning up meatspace.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

lokicaprion

Postby lokicaprion » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:32 am

Kuildeous wrote:I could see cleaning up the meatspace of the game by having the Drama Deck be available in an app. The Destiny deck and Cosm decks, however, would likely still benefit from having physical cards. I suppose the Cosm decks could be tracked by the app, since each player only draws one at the beginning of the Act. But then it'd be a hassle for the player to check in on what card he had. He'd have to mark it down somewhere, which defeats the purpose of cleaning up meatspace.

Somehow, my Technocrat side didn't even think about this - with the Drama Deck being separate and never going into people's "hands", having it put into an app that can be put on a tablet for all to see could be extremely useful! Just tap the screen to flip the next. Maybe with an option for a GM Fiat.

Follow-up question - is GM Fiat still going to be a thing, for initiative flips? I know there's nothing actually stopping GMs from just doing it, of course, but will it be something presented as an option?

Dan Davenport

Postby Dan Davenport » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:33 am

I wish I could figure out an easy way to use these decks for my online games. :(

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:38 am

Dan Davenport wrote:I wish I could figure out an easy way to use these decks for my online games. :(

I think Roll20 can do it? I haven't looked into it in detail yet, due to NDA reasons.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:36 am

lokicaprion wrote:
Somehow, my Technocrat side didn't even think about this - with the Drama Deck being separate and never going into people's "hands", having it put into an app that can be put on a tablet for all to see could be extremely useful! Just tap the screen to flip the next. Maybe with an option for a GM Fiat.

Follow-up question - is GM Fiat still going to be a thing, for initiative flips? I know there's nothing actually stopping GMs from just doing it, of course, but will it be something presented as an option?

At this time, no. Though that is something that could change.

The reasoning is that you 'play to find out what happens'.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”