Preview #9 - The Drama, Destiny, and Cosm Decks

TorgHacker

Re: Preview #9 - The Drama, Destiny, and Cosm Decks

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:52 pm

There's a Destiny card that allows you to do it.

... <thinks>

You know, that might be it for now.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

dev/null

Postby dev/null » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:52 pm

I feel like I had three things that were going to go here, but by the time I got through the rest of the thread, I can only remember two.

1) I am now sad that I cannot Campaign the Martyr subplot. That was fun, and I was hoping to manage it again. It lucked out given the character I'd made that it would've worked really well.

2) I feel like I'm the only one, having read all the pieces about Cosm cards, who caught that there is a mechanic we've not been introduced to (edit: though one method got added while I was writing this), that allows for additional Cosm cards to be acquired during an Act.

3) <forgotten thing to be edited at a later date, potentially>

blackwind1kaze

Postby blackwind1kaze » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:07 am

I'm assuming the approved actions let's you draw a card if you do one of them still?

Onto the art side:
All of it looks good though personally, I feel like with the design, the approved actions should have a box of their own. It just looks out of place compared to everything else.
I don't always GM, but when i do, I go out in style :ugeek:

merryneils

Postby merryneils » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:11 am

I am happy with everything I read so far. The use of Dramatic Skill Resolution for chases is a magnificient idea!

Plageman

Postby Plageman » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:25 am

blackwind1kaze wrote:All of it looks good though personally, I feel like with the design, the approved actions should have a box of their own. It just looks out of place compared to everything else.

I agree, it does not stand out as it is now (overlay text).

BTW I really love the Hardboiled cosm card.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:11 am

blackwind1kaze wrote:I'm assuming the approved actions let's you draw a card if you do one of them still?

If you succeed at the action, yes.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Rabbitball

Postby Rabbitball » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:08 pm

Overall, this looks amazing. I am looking forward to this new version.

Splitting player vs. GM cards was something I had played around with. At one point, I had two decks at once and just gave the players one deck and kept the other for initiative, and it worked out great.

One additional benefit to splitting the player vs. GM cards is that there is no longer an incentive to spend or hold a particular card based on what initiative line will be put back into the deck.

It looks like card farming is still a viable strategy, given the confirmation of the Rally card. (Leadership and Master Plan were also vital parts of the strategy, but those are as yet unconfirmed.) Also unconfirmed is the Critical Moment rule, although that can easily be put in as a house rule. If you read the "Dealing with Demons" story, the final attack was an actual Critical Moment after Rally followed by card trades and friendly Leadership plays to get all the Adrenalin and Coup de Grace cards into Tamarint's pool together with enough Possibilities to insure a Glory.
Dominick Riesland, aka Rabbitball
Co-author, Aysle Sourcebook for Torg Eternity
Creator of the Cosmversal Grimoire
"Those who will not follow are doomed to lead"—Anarchist, Magic: the Gathering

Rabbitball

Postby Rabbitball » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:11 pm

As of now, there's only one thing I'm puzzled by. The Drama Deck is the one that is least important to keep track of by number, yet it is the only one with numbers. Destiny needs to be kept numbered so that players can get the same cards back, and if a cosm needs extra copies of a Cosm card to insure flavor, they should be kept numbered as well.

johntfs

Postby johntfs » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:13 pm

dev/null wrote:I feel like I had three things that were going to go here, but by the time I got through the rest of the thread, I can only remember two.

1) I am now sad that I cannot Campaign the Martyr subplot. That was fun, and I was hoping to manage it again. It lucked out given the character I'd made that it would've worked really well.

2) I feel like I'm the only one, having read all the pieces about Cosm cards, who caught that there is a mechanic we've not been introduced to (edit: though one method got added while I was writing this), that allows for additional Cosm cards to be acquired during an Act.

3) <forgotten thing to be edited at a later date, potentially>

1) Actually, you now have a greater ability to Campaign the Martyr card (or any other subplot) by GM/Player fiat instead of waiting/hoping someone would draw/play the Campaign card.

2) I didn't catch anything specific, but I figured that there would be something along those lines.

3) Nothing for you but for the person wanting card boxes: Just go to an office supply or gaming store. There will probably be something there you can use.

Rabbitball

Postby Rabbitball » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:19 pm

Is it too late to suggest additional Destiny and/or Cosm cards? I had a few I added to my Drama Deck that were not listed in other places. (This is over and above Betrayal, which was part of the Masterbook deck and seems to be already incorporated.)

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”