Pool about the pool

Zackzenobi

Re: Pool about the pool

Postby Zackzenobi » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:26 am

If average human state is 8 and we only get 40 pts, then we are not Heroes. We are just ordinary people.

That being said I can't make the character I want if that is the case. The concept is a college graduate student and extreme sports enthusiast (motorcross, parachuting, surfing). He is smart and in good shape but not combat trained. Very likeable and spiritual (philosophy degree). The idea is he will survive on skills like Trick, Manuever, Persuasion, and Taunt and eventually in his adventures, he will get combat training from MI-6 agents, Elven Monks, Ninjas, and even Eidinos. He is my Flash Gordon/ Luke Skywalker/ Neo. The hero who is forged through the adventure, instead of starting as one. I know there's a name for this but I am drawing a blank right now. He will have Reality as his Tag skill as he is going to be picking up a lot of Other-Realm skills. Also was counting on Reality Storms since he wouldn't be a combat monster for a while.

His Stats in OT would be DEX 11 STR 9 TOU 8 MIN 9 PER 10 CHA 11 SPI 10

These Stats represent the character concept. But if we only get 40 pts and the average human is 8, I can't get to where I need to. I can't have an extreme sports enthusiast with average Dex and Str. Hard to say he is charismatic and spiritual with 8s. There aren't too many college graduate students with an average intelligence.

Plus Dean said there were Perks you needed 10s in an Attribute to acquire. Well it sounds like I need to pick up the Realm Runner and Negate Possibilities for my character.

Sincerely,
Worried in Tampa

lenaianel

Postby lenaianel » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:38 am

Following my previous post,
Considering the MP40 is the perfect x=weapon against a shocktropper as it guarantees a one shoot kill, lets see what happens with a weapon doing slightly less damage (12 for Torg E, 15 for O Torg)

In Torg Eternity : You now need a good success to be sure you dispose of the villain in one shoot. the needed roll goes from 9/7/5 to 17/15/11 for a normal shoot/rapid fire/ full auto.

In Original Torg you need 2 more to the effect number : the needed roll goes from 17/13 to 19/16 (normal/full auto)

In revised and expanded Torg you need 2 more to your margin of success : the needed roll goes from 15/9 to 17/13 (normal/full auto)

With a weapon doing one less damage again, it becomes more complicated as even a good success in torg E doesn't guarantee a one shoot kill (on a 1 on the dE roll)......

carldot34

Postby carldot34 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:39 am

So what areas IS your character weak in? Apart from adding the ninjitsu and special forces grade combat skills, of course. I wouldn't call someone with those stats untrained in combat as your untrained levels are going to be superior to any trained Ord soldiers. Stormtroopers are not even going to be a speed bump to your 'untrained' college professor.

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:48 am

Zackzenobi wrote:If average human state is 8 and we only get 40 pts, then we are not Heroes. We are just ordinary people.

40 seems to be what was in the GenCon demos. But those characters are only average with regard to attributes though. Perks, skills, plus cards and possibilities mean you're not really ordinary. But yeah, with regard to attributes you'd be ordinary.

That being said I can't make the character I want if that is the case. <snip>
Worried in Tampa

I get what you're saying, but there's another side to this. If they set the attributes too high in the beginning, then one can't create the "everyman" character who has just average attributes but despite that becomes a hero, which is what I and many others want.

You can still create the character you want right off the bat if the GM allows for the creation of more experienced characters at the start of the game. If not, you can get there, but I doubt there will be rules for lowering attribute points in exchange for something else...though that might be nice.

What I'm hoping for is that there will be some guidelines on creating "higher level" characters and also on creating balanced encounters for them; that way everyone can do what they want (thought I get that some GM's won't allow experienced starting characters and it would be a disappointment to some players.)
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:14 am

Alrighty. In the interests of actually having an informed discussion, here's the scoop.

6-7 is considered average for a human.

8-10 is athletic, intelligient or amiable.

11-12 is extremely smart, very popular, or in top physical shape.

13 is gold medal Olympian.

Characters start with 40 attribute points.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Zackzenobi

Postby Zackzenobi » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:16 am

carldot34 wrote:So what areas IS your character weak in? Apart from adding the ninjitsu and special forces grade combat skills, of course. I wouldn't call someone with those stats untrained in combat as your untrained levels are going to be superior to any trained Ord soldiers. Stormtroopers are not even going to be a speed bump to your 'untrained' college professor.

Well that is 66 attribute points, which was the standard starting norm in OT. We were supposed to be heroes. So he is in decent shape, but any use of a weapon is unskilled. Any Stormed w a weapon is gonna clean my clock if I try to go heads up.

Zackzenobi

Postby Zackzenobi » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:26 am

TorgHacker wrote:Alrighty. In the interests of actually having an informed discussion, here's the scoop.

6-7 is considered average for a human.

8-10 is athletic, intelligient or amiable.

11-12 is extremely smart, very popular, or in top physical shape.

13 is gold medal Olympian.

Characters start with 40 attribute points.

Thank you for the information! :D

Since that is the case, I guess I could pull off my character concept with straight 8s across the board. That would make him an above average Jack of all trades type.
My stats would allow me to pull off the character concept, though 3 more points would be greatly appreciated.

Now I an just hoping that neither the Realm Runner Perk or Negating Possibilities require a Spirit of 10.

carldot34

Postby carldot34 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:28 am

Unskilled just means you are not rerolling on a 20 but I was comparing your proposed character to the Stormtrooper on the preview, not to the OTorg. :D

Zackzenobi

Postby Zackzenobi » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:32 am

Are the rules for Skills still the same? Do we still get 16 Skill Points, with only one of them having 3?

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:31 am

This will certainly alter the difficulty chart. I'm guessing that an easy task is going to be TN 0 or less.

I worry a little bit if it might be disheartening for some players to roll negative numbers. I thought I read that the result rolls will be the same as oTorg, but I am not convinced I didn't imagine it.

But then, players are typically used to a low roll failing, so getting a 5 or less on a d20 is already stigmatized with failure.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”