Preview #15 - A Closer Look At Perks

TorgHacker

Re: Preview #15 - A Closer Look At Perks

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:23 pm

It's Occultech. Still the same thing basically, with a few small differences.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Stormchild

Postby Stormchild » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:53 pm

Maybe, this time you did it. There are some things I don't like. Maybe, again, I do not understand correctly what you did.

Are the cosm-specific perks given freely to all characters from that cosm or is it that the player has to decide what perks his character will have at character creation (and later on at "leveling")? The latter meaning, players have to decide how much the character is part of the cosm he belongs to. This is especially true for cyberware, occultech, savagery and light/dark. Those are cosm-defining perks that are there because the cosm is there. If you don't take it, it is just as if in Real Earth you don't take knowledge_computer or driving. Of course, not everyone in Real Earth (meaning the reality we live in opposed to the fictional Core Earth) knows how to use a computer or drive a car but it is that common that someone who doesn't have these skills is strange.

Pulp Powers and Gadgets: I loved the way it was done in OTorg though - as everything in Torg - it could use better organizing. The perks now lack the difference between Powers, gadgets and gizmos. A power is permanent but expensive in Poss, a gadget is semi-permanent but less expensive and a gizmo is of very limited durability but the cheapest of the three. Now a power or a gadget is not much of a difference but gadgets can be taken away, a real disadvantage without advantage.

Oh, btw, I hope the perk martial arts is the prerequisit for learning the martial arts skill like block/strike and that is not what I fear that each martial arts maneuver is a different perk. At least the martial arts style should be a perk that is improved like a skill, giving new maneuvres with each add. But even this would be too hard as martial artists are usually trained in more than one style.

Of course, consolidating all the wide-spread and often contradicting rules snippets into one coherent system is a good idea and I will love it, I am sure.
I don't make things complicated. That's the way they get, all by themselves.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:12 pm

Stormchild wrote:Maybe, this time you did it. There are some things I don't like. Maybe, again, I do not understand correctly what you did.

Are the cosm-specific perks given freely to all characters from that cosm or is it that the player has to decide what perks his character will have at character creation (and later on at "leveling")? The latter meaning, players have to decide how much the character is part of the cosm he belongs to. This is especially true for cyberware, occultech, savagery and light/dark. Those are cosm-defining perks that are there because the cosm is there. If you don't take it, it is just as if in Real Earth you don't take knowledge_computer or driving. Of course, not everyone in Real Earth (meaning the reality we live in opposed to the fictional Core Earth) knows how to use a computer or drive a car but it is that common that someone who doesn't have these skills is strange.

Characters from specific cosms have access to Perks that require that cosm, but they don't automatically get them.

You get 2 Perks at character generation, and the player picks them. Then you can spend XP to get additional Perks later on.

Pulp Powers and Gadgets: I loved the way it was done in OTorg though - as everything in Torg - it could use better organizing. The perks now lack the difference between Powers, gadgets and gizmos. A power is permanent but expensive in Poss, a gadget is semi-permanent but less expensive and a gizmo is of very limited durability but the cheapest of the three. Now a power or a gadget is not much of a difference but gadgets can be taken away, a real disadvantage without advantage.

That's one of those 'there were too many subsystems and need to simplify. That said, the 'gadget that can be taken away' factor is a Minor Limitation.

Oh, btw, I hope the perk martial arts is the prerequisit for learning the martial arts skill like block/strike and that is not what I fear that each martial arts maneuver is a different perk. At least the martial arts style should be a perk that is improved like a skill, giving new maneuvres with each add. But even this would be too hard as martial artists are usually trained in more than one style.

Martial Arts is a Perk, not a skill, and it is a prereq for the Ki Powers. Unarmed combat is the skill used.

Of course, consolidating all the wide-spread and often contradicting rules snippets into one coherent system is a good idea and I will love it, I am sure.

I hope so. :-)
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:31 pm

Incidentally, spells, miracles, and psionics are also bought as perks. You get 2 or 3 with the primary Perk, then each additional spell is another Perk. So martial arts being like that isn't anything unusual in this system.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Stormchild

Postby Stormchild » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:22 pm

Then the rumour is confirmed. These are the first rules changes I don't like. But who cares, I was already on the hook with preview #1. My money is waiting for your kickstarter to make things happen.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:30 pm

We have rumors? :D
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

ZeDiac

Postby ZeDiac » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:32 pm

Nice to see the news about perks coming !
Are they cosm-specific and limited to them or some perks can be bought by PC from different cosms ? For instance is it possible to buy Martial Art or Psi power perks if you are a Core Earther as it was in oTorg ?
"Storm is coming"

blackwind1kaze

Postby blackwind1kaze » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:36 pm

My guess is that if say a core earth character say has 2 reality storms perks and then transforms to Aysle reality, then they'd keep the core earth perks but then now can choose from aysle's special perks instead of core earth, am I close dean?
I don't always GM, but when i do, I go out in style :ugeek:

mattritchie

Postby mattritchie » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:52 pm

TorgHacker wrote:Incidentally, spells, miracles, and psionics are also bought as perks. You get 2 or 3 with the primary Perk, then each additional spell is another Perk. So martial arts being like that isn't anything unusual in this system.

Are the 2-3 you get with the primary Perk pre-defined (e.g., if you take whatever Perk gives you Core Earth miracles, and you automatically get Heal and Bless), or does the player get to pick the 2-3 that they take?

Stormchild

Postby Stormchild » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:07 pm

TorgHacker wrote:We have rumors? :D

A reference to the Infiniverse newsletter rumor category. For old times sake
Last edited by Stormchild on Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”