Preview #15 - A Closer Look At Perks

TorgHacker

Re: Preview #15 - A Closer Look At Perks

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:08 pm

ZeDiac wrote:Nice to see the news about perks coming !
Are they cosm-specific and limited to them or some perks can be bought by PC from different cosms ? For instance is it possible to buy Martial Art or Psi power perks if you are a Core Earther as it was in oTorg ?

No, you have to be a denizen of that cosm. Psionic powers are allowed by Core Earthers so you could do that, but not Ki Powers (those are Pan-Pacifica only).

The actual Martial Arts Perk is a Prowess Perk though, and any cosm can take those.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:10 pm

blackwind1kaze wrote:My guess is that if say a core earth character say has 2 reality storms perks and then transforms to Aysle reality, then they'd keep the core earth perks but then now can choose from aysle's special perks instead of core earth, am I close dean?

Nope. Basically you'd take the Perks that are not allowed by the new cosm and then purchase new Perks. Same for skills that aren't 'appropriate' anymore.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

TorgHacker

Stormchild wrote:
TorgHacker wrote:We have rumors? :D

A reference to the Infiniverse newsletter rumor category. For old times sake

AHA. Gotcha. :-)
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

TorgHacker

mattritchie wrote:
TorgHacker wrote:Incidentally, spells, miracles, and psionics are also bought as perks. You get 2 or 3 with the primary Perk, then each additional spell is another Perk. So martial arts being like that isn't anything unusual in this system.

Are the 2-3 you get with the primary Perk pre-defined (e.g., if you take whatever Perk gives you Core Earth miracles, and you automatically get Heal and Bless), or does the player get to pick the 2-3 that they take?

No, you get to pick.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

blackwind1kaze

Postby blackwind1kaze » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:01 pm

Alright, makes sense. With there be other perks that use martial arts that any reality can take as well, oh is that only a special case for the kis powers?
I don't always GM, but when i do, I go out in style :ugeek:

Ange Gardien

Postby Ange Gardien » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:45 pm

There is something I don't like which seems very similar to a thing I don't like in Savage worlds.
In Sawo I do think that spells are too expensive, I give two spells per edge taken (otherwise it's impossible to have a fun mage character IMHO)
When you have only two or three spells, you cannot be fun, you have to think about efficiency and only that...
I get that spells are a bit like a super powers in your system, but are the spells versatiles ?
It's annoying to have everyone choosing the spells you can't miss (armor, healing, fireball, detect magic) and not be able to be fun.

By the way, will Detect Magic be a spell ? Because I can't see how a mage could do without seing magic.

If, indeed, there is no difference at all between spells and super powers, my question is invalid.
I'll just have to double the perks for my gaming style.

Rabbitball

Postby Rabbitball » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:52 pm

Ange Gardien wrote:There is something I don't like which seems very similar to a thing I don't like in Savage worlds.
In Sawo I do think that spells are too expensive, I give two spells per edge taken (otherwise it's impossible to have a fun mage character IMHO)

If you are looking for the D&D Wizard class, that doesn't seem to be where Torg Eternity is taking us. This is more along the lines of Sorcerers (fewer spells but more uses of them). OTorg was also like this, except the cost of spells was dirt cheap once you got your skills and knowledges in place.

Ange Gardien wrote:When you have only two or three spells, you cannot be fun, you have to think about efficiency and only that...

Not necessarily. Efficiency is a matter of perspective. Assuming the spell base is there, I could design a pretty effective water mage that had one attack spell, a boat moving spell, and a water creation spell. I'm not maxing out DPS, but put me in Act Four of The Possibility Chalice and watch out!

Ange Gardien wrote:I get that spells are a bit like a super powers in your system, but are the spells versatiles ?

Enhance is a stat buff spell that lets you choose the stat, rather than having Enhance Charisma, Enhance Dexterity, etc. I won't expect all spells to be like that, but I could see a starting mage having Enhance for that reason.

Ange Gardien wrote:It's annoying to have everyone choosing the spells you can't miss (armor, healing, fireball, detect magic) and not be able to be fun.

It seems you are equating fun with having a spell selection the size of Black's Law Dictionary. When taking on the High Lords, that might be necessary, but until then, how do the other characters have fun? 8-)

Ange Gardien wrote:By the way, will Detect Magic be a spell ? Because I can't see how a mage could do without seing magic.

Detect Magic is too basic not to have it somewhere, although it could be argued that any Ayslish magician could do it as a result of the Law of Magic. If it doesn't appear in the Core Book, it would have to show up in the first Sourcebook possible, if I have anything to say about it... ;)

Ange Gardien wrote:If, indeed, there is no difference at all between spells and super powers, my question is invalid.

I'll repeat what I said somewhere else: I'm not saying you shouldn't do it; just remember that if this only applies to one side, certain encounters will cease to be a challenge.
Dominick Riesland, aka Rabbitball
Co-author, Aysle Sourcebook for Torg Eternity
Creator of the Cosmversal Grimoire
"Those who will not follow are doomed to lead"—Anarchist, Magic: the Gathering

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:15 pm

Ange Gardien wrote:There is something I don't like which seems very similar to a thing I don't like in Savage worlds.
When you have only two or three spells, you cannot be fun, you have to think about efficiency and only that...
I get that spells are a bit like a super powers in your system, but are the spells versatiles ?
It's annoying to have everyone choosing the spells you can't miss (armor, healing, fireball, detect magic) and not be able to be fun.

By the way, will Detect Magic be a spell ? Because I can't see how a mage could do without seing magic.

If, indeed, there is no difference at all between spells and super powers, my question is invalid.

The point about utility spells is a good one...I'd like to have a few utility spells at my disposal, even if I only have a couple of combat spells. Spells like "speak language" or "detect whatever" can be great fun, but won't be taken by my mage players if you have to give up things like "fireball". Some spells maybe should have a higher cost than others? Hard for me to say; perhaps there could be some versatile utility spells or a versatile use of the magic skills to cast on the fly those utility effects, probably a topic for the Aysle sourcebook.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:19 pm

The gist is this. Each Perk does "Some Special Thing" [tm]. That special thing could be a spell. It could be a miracle. Or a Psionic Power. Or a martial arts maneuver. Or some leadership thing. Or a suit of awesome armor.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:23 pm

Rabbitball wrote:
Ange Gardien wrote:If, indeed, there is no difference at all between spells and super powers, my question is invalid.

I'll repeat what I said somewhere else: I'm not saying you shouldn't do it; just remember that if this only applies to one side, certain encounters will cease to be a challenge.

Pretty much this. The game is designed the way it is for a reason, and I always recommend playing as is for a few times before house ruling. Otherwise you may change something that we actually looked at six months ago and said, "Well we can't do it that way because it breaks."

But as always, once it's in your hands, do what you want with it. It's your game. The Torg Church Police won't come by and take you away. :-)
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”