Preview #16 - A Closer Look at Perks (Part 2)

TorgHacker

Preview #16 - A Closer Look at Perks (Part 2)

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:01 am

And here you can discuss our latest preview:

http://www.ulisses-us.com/torg-eternity ... ks-part-2/
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Ange Gardien

Re: Preview #16 - A Closer Look at Perks (Part 2)

Postby Ange Gardien » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:03 pm

It seems that we are going to love the perks a lot...

But still, could some cyberware perks be improved ?
It's not really the same to be able to have wired reflexes (two actions per round without penalties) or to have night vision (which seems less invasive) ?
A cyber arm could be just a cyber arm with aim enhancement, but it could do much more, more melee damage, etc...

I do like the idea explaining why the cyberware would be more difficult to have than the previous edition, though :)

And I do like the light and the darkness ideas...

And, I can't wait for the teaser next week.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:28 pm

I haven't gone into the exact details about what the different cybernetics options gives you, but to clarify, you get $10,000 worth of cybernetics with the first purchase of the Perk, then $5000 worth for each additional purchase of the Perk.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Stormchild

Postby Stormchild » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:09 pm

So, Edeinos will be played much more often. Seems Tal Tu was hoping for cat to grow into a real Living Land tiger.
I love the Demonical Frenzy Perk. This explains what we see in comics and movies/TV serials all of the time, when a "good" character goes into a battle frenzy and can only be stopped at the last instant before killing his enemy. Afterwards, the hero has a crisis moment where he questions if he may be on a path to the dark side already.
I don't make things complicated. That's the way they get, all by themselves.

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:12 pm

Always exciting. Favored looks pretty potent. Basically it's like the Demon Luck from oTorg, but it sounds like this only applies to certain situations.

I presume that perks go away when you fail to meet their prerequisites. We know that Charisma can be knocked down during the course of play. If a perk requires Charisma 8+, but corruption knocks you down to 7, is that perk inactive until the Charisma goes back to 8?

Is it possible to swap out perks when they are no longer relevant? For example, the Darkness perk has the perquisite of not having any Light perks. The Light perk naturally has no such perquisite, which lends itself nicely to the dark antihero seeing the light and redeeming himself. Should such a thing happen, does that character get a "refund" on his Darkness perks once he takes the Light perk?

It seems fairly easy for someone to transform to a new reality. Does that stop you from qualifying for those perks? Can a Tharkold elf continue picking up Light perks after he transformed? Can a former Cyberpapacy Storm Knight still get more cyberware even though he prefers to bang rocks together?

It sounds like the perks are being limited to just those from that cosm. This would prevent the walking confluence of special effects as someone picks up psionics, pulp powers, and cyberware. If so, I can see why, though I imagine I'd make some exceptions in my game. Just enjoy your new life of fearing 20% of the die, chump.

The more I read, the more I want to run or play (how about AND?). Looking forward to it.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

blackwind1kaze

Postby blackwind1kaze » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:16 pm

Alright questions and comments.

1) so with the reality shifters (through a reality storm) you're only changing perks correct? Or is it racial as well?
2) expanding on #1, if someone became an edeino through a reality storm and they had 10+ spirit, could they instantly get through having to switch perks the "death claws" perk?
3) I'm seeing a lot of prerequisites: none. Maybe having a "orrosh reality" in there somewhere (or any of the other realms) to at least make it less confusing. Cause otherwise I could be a core earth character and take both radiant and demonical frenzy since there's no prerequisites.

That's all for now.
I don't always GM, but when i do, I go out in style :ugeek:

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:24 pm

blackwind1kaze wrote:2) expanding on #1, if someone became an edeino through a reality storm and they had 10+ spirit, could they instantly get through having to switch perks the "death claws" perk?

If I understand Dean correctly, you can never change race. Even an edeinos or elf who transforms to a reality that doesn't have them will remain that race (though the elf may be miserable if he transforms to a low-magic realm).
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:39 pm

Kuildeous wrote:Always exciting. Favored looks pretty potent. Basically it's like the Demon Luck from oTorg, but it sounds like this only applies to certain situations.

I presume that perks go away when you fail to meet their prerequisites. We know that Charisma can be knocked down during the course of play. If a perk requires Charisma 8+, but corruption knocks you down to 7, is that perk inactive until the Charisma goes back to 8?

Just to clarify, Favored isn't a Perk, it's a rule that replaces a lot of the +2 to [SKILL]. For instance, Super Skill has an Enhancement that makes the Skill Favored.

I'm double checking with Darrell, but I'm thinking yes, if you no longer qualify for the Perk you lose it, but can replace it with another.

Is it possible to swap out perks when they are no longer relevant? For example, the Darkness perk has the perquisite of not having any Light perks. The Light perk naturally has no such perquisite, which lends itself nicely to the dark antihero seeing the light and redeeming himself. Should such a thing happen, does that character get a "refund" on his Darkness perks once he takes the Light perk?

It seems fairly easy for someone to transform to a new reality. Does that stop you from qualifying for those perks? Can a Tharkold elf continue picking up Light perks after he transformed? Can a former Cyberpapacy Storm Knight still get more cyberware even though he prefers to bang rocks together?

Yes. You're not going to get screwed over. If you lose a Perk you can select another. This certainly applies to transformations, I'm just double checking that it applies to all situations.

It sounds like the perks are being limited to just those from that cosm. This would prevent the walking confluence of special effects as someone picks up psionics, pulp powers, and cyberware. If so, I can see why, though I imagine I'd make some exceptions in my game. Just enjoy your new life of fearing 20% of the die, chump.

The more I read, the more I want to run or play (how about AND?). Looking forward to it.

The intent is for each Cosm to have its 'thing' (even if that thing might be replicated in another cosm like cybernetics). At least for now.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:47 pm

blackwind1kaze wrote:Alright questions and comments.

1) so with the reality shifters (through a reality storm) you're only changing perks correct? Or is it racial as well?
2) expanding on #1, if someone became an edeino through a reality storm and they had 10+ spirit, could they instantly get through having to switch perks the "death claws" perk?
3) I'm seeing a lot of prerequisites: none. Maybe having a "orrosh reality" in there somewhere (or any of the other realms) to at least make it less confusing. Cause otherwise I could be a core earth character and take both radiant and demonical frenzy since there's no prerequisites.

That's all for now.

1. If a Perk has a required cosm, you lose it and choose a new one. There was a fair bit of debate regarding the racial Perks, but currently they're all cosm specific, so yes, you would lose them (even though you don't actually change race). I'm double checking on that though.

2. Someone can't become an edeinos if they were something else. Though theoretically if you were an edeinos from the Living Land, transformed to something else, then transformed back to the Living Land later, and you lost a Perk because of that, you could select an Edeinos Perk to replace it.

3. Yes, the required reality is listed at the top of the category.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:48 pm

Kuildeous wrote:
blackwind1kaze wrote:2) expanding on #1, if someone became an edeino through a reality storm and they had 10+ spirit, could they instantly get through having to switch perks the "death claws" perk?

If I understand Dean correctly, you can never change race. Even an edeinos or elf who transforms to a reality that doesn't have them will remain that race (though the elf may be miserable if he transforms to a low-magic realm).

Yep. We actually call out elves in the transformation section because of that.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”