Preview #16 - A Closer Look at Perks (Part 2)

TorgHacker

Re: Preview #16 - A Closer Look at Perks (Part 2)

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:42 am

Rabbitball wrote:Re: Favored though. it seems obvious that you can't take the Favored reroll after spending Possibilities (otherwise there could be shenanigans with starting from an 11, adding a Possibility for 28 more, then deciding to go for the Glory train with a Hero and a Drama and coming up just short and now wanting to try to bump that 11 up with Favored). But if that initial 11 came from a 10 followed by a 1, can we invoke Favored to replace the 11 or does the decision have to be made at the initial roll of 10?

I need to correct my earlier answer. You have to take the 2nd roll no matter what, you don't get to choose the highest of the two.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:03 pm

TorgHacker wrote:
Rabbitball wrote:Re: Favored though. it seems obvious that you can't take the Favored reroll after spending Possibilities (otherwise there could be shenanigans with starting from an 11, adding a Possibility for 28 more, then deciding to go for the Glory train with a Hero and a Drama and coming up just short and now wanting to try to bump that 11 up with Favored). But if that initial 11 came from a 10 followed by a 1, can we invoke Favored to replace the 11 or does the decision have to be made at the initial roll of 10?

I need to correct my earlier answer. You have to take the 2nd roll no matter what, you don't get to choose the highest of the two.

So it's not like Demon Luck, as I initially thought.

In rereading the description, I didn't catch the part where you can't reroll if you rolled a mishap.

I guess it's more akin to the Second Chance card, except that you can invoke it even if you initially succeed, but you may make it worse.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:05 pm

Right. But you could be shooting for a Good or better result, if you don't think a mere Standard Success is good enough.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Zackzenobi

Postby Zackzenobi » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:34 pm

Looking at the Perks for Aysle do we have any idea what the Outsider group of perks are for?

Rabbitball

Postby Rabbitball » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:59 pm

Zackzenobi wrote:Looking at the Perks for Aysle do we have any idea what the Outsider group of perks are for?

Probably for those people who don't want to commit to Light or Darkness. The OTorg Aysle Sourcebook had gods of Balance, but didn't give any other benefit for remaining neutral; perhaps this is a way to reward such a choice.
Dominick Riesland, aka Rabbitball
Co-author, Aysle Sourcebook for Torg Eternity
Creator of the Cosmversal Grimoire
"Those who will not follow are doomed to lead"—Anarchist, Magic: the Gathering

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:31 am

Zackzenobi wrote:Looking at the Perks for Aysle do we have any idea what the Outsider group of perks are for?

Things like Barbarians/Berzerkers.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

carldot34

Postby carldot34 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:04 pm

Wouldn't it be easier and clearer just to say "if a skill is Favored, roll 2 d20s and take the whichever you prefer, before making additional rolls for 10s, 20s, possibilities, etc."

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:11 pm

Problem with that is that it reduces a One Case Contradiction to something that occurs 1 in 400 rolls, and a Four Case to 1 in 25 rolls.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

carldot34

Postby carldot34 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:56 pm

Ah! Yes. Of course. But only on Favored skills. Are they expected to be common? The Favored skills, not the contradictions. Lol. But I think you're right. Mishaps and contradictions are something we 'want' to happen.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:51 pm

Yeah, it's going to be a fairly common rule, especially in Perks. I like it better than a flat +X bonus to a skill.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”