Preview #16 - A Closer Look at Perks (Part 2)

TorgHacker

Re: Preview #16 - A Closer Look at Perks (Part 2)

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:00 am

YOU SHALL ONLY PLAY THE GAME THE WAY IT IS WRITTEN.

SO MOTE IT BE.

:lol:

Seriously though, the reason that there's an escalating increase in Perk cost is for two reasons.

1. Attributes and Skills also have an increasing cost.

2. We wanted to avoid the situation where a character might have upwards of 10-20 Perks. It becomes unweildly and can increase analysis paralysis.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Necanthrope

Postby Necanthrope » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:21 am

TorgHacker wrote:YOU SHALL ONLY PLAY THE GAME THE WAY IT IS WRITTEN.

SO MOTE IT BE.

:lol:

Seriously though, the reason that there's an escalating increase in Perk cost is for two reasons.

1. Attributes and Skills also have an increasing cost.

2. We wanted to avoid the situation where a character might have upwards of 10-20 Perks. It becomes unweildly and can increase analysis paralysis.

Ah ah !!!
You are caught, I thought that you were from Orrorsh, as are all game designers, but I see now your affinity for Tharkold !! :D

I understand quite well the increasing costs. Also you wrote seomewhere that incrasing the stats won't be as expensive as before. So we will have room for character development, but the increasing costs for perks makes it so we have to really think about how many and what we want to do with them, not just spend XP and good to go....

TiaMaster

Postby TiaMaster » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:03 pm

I see no reason yet to start house ruling MOAR XP PLOX. oTORG got way out of hand very quickly for my veteran players, to the point that I had to create an "XP" sort of system that made it feel to the player like they were getting something, but it was actually less than before.

I am confident there has been at least a year of campaign playtesting for this, in which veteran players have stayed alive long enough to see if character increases are too low or have unbalanced the game.

utsukushi

Postby utsukushi » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:19 pm

Are you sure, Necanthrope? So Mote It Be sounded more Cyberpapal to me. Actually, it's worse - they're the game designers. They probably have access to ALL the different Realms! They'll use GodNet to spy on us through our computers and make sure we're doing it right... but if we try to get around that by keeping everything on paper, they'll just invoke Lanala to curse our dead tree-pulp. Aiee!

Seriously - I'm most worried about how I'm going to feel about the new spellcasting rules, because they seem like the biggest step away from oTorg, which was, yes, complicated, but amazing. And not just the spell design system (which, if it is going to exist, should indeed be relegated to the Cosm book anyway), but... yeah. The number of spells a magician had, the ability to `tweak' them on the fly...

But I don't know. Haven't seen them yet. Things like the "Enhance" spell, where one spell is really a small category of spells from oTorg - that certainly works well. If the spells themselves turn out to be a little more `meta' like that, I'm not going to have any complaints, even if it's not the way `I would have done it'. If it's a couple of must-have spells from an adventuring point of view, and then a few handfuls of spells that would be cool once in a while but no one can ever justify devoting a Perk to have them... well, I will be disappointed.

Mind you, the way I would have done it is brilliant. I can feel it bubbling in my head and if I end up GMing I'll be tempted to throw out everything US did and build my own system. But the problem with house ruling anything is that it only works if you're the GM. When you're trying to play, you can't count on those pesky GMs to make the changes you want, like giving everyone six billion attribute points. Hmph.

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”