Anyone Working on a Roll20 Character Sheet?

mattritchie

Anyone Working on a Roll20 Character Sheet?

Postby mattritchie » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:23 am

Don't know if this topic is better suited for the Miscellany category, but thought I would post here.

Is anyone working on a Roll20 sheet? It would be nice to have one by the time the digital version of the game is out. I do have one working, but it is very rudimentary, and not quite fully functional. I would prefer that someone else do it since I'm not a great coder, but am going to keep polishing unless/until I hear that someone else is taking on the project...

JeffWalklin

Re: Anyone Working on a Roll20 Character Sheet?

Postby JeffWalklin » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:31 pm

There is a workable character sheet on Roll20 already. One of my players created a slightly revised version for our own campaign. Once the T:E system is released, I'm sure he will be making a new version to go with it.

Of course, if T:E partners with Roll20 *cough cough* to release their stuff for use on the site...

A guy can dream, can't he?

Sirtoast

Postby Sirtoast » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:24 am

I created the original Torg sheet on Roll20, and someone smarter than me picked it up and updated it. I really don't have the smarts to get it past the basic work that I did, which was borrowed from other similar sheets though. I can reach out to the person who did the updates and see if they're planning to add one for T:E.

Kamelion

Postby Kamelion » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:25 pm

Related to this, how suited is Roll20 to Torg? Is there a way to do the cards, hands and pools etc? Would be fun to share with my online group as well as my tt group :)
The name that can be named is not the true name.

mattritchie

Postby mattritchie » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:43 pm

I think its playable in Roll20. The interface includes some rudamentary card mechanics which let players hold display, and shuffle cards. Its not ideal - needs more work - but its just enough to make the game work.

The only catch is the card pool. Players will just need to declare in chat what cards they are placing in their pools, or have some type of "divider" in their hand that separates pool cards from hand cards.

On a slightly related note, in playing around with it some, one of the conclusions I am reaching is that TORG should not be over-automated in Roll20 because it takes away some of the more enjoyable mechanics. In, say, 5th Edition, you can set up a macro that will pretty much roll out an attack and show how much damage it does to a particular target. It works well in that context.

But in TORG, part of the fun comes from rolling the dice and adding up the result. You could create a sheet and Javascript that emulate all of that and make it much quicker, but I think the game loses something when you do all that....

blackwind1kaze

Postby blackwind1kaze » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:05 pm

If a skilled gm did so, they could create card pools on the map for players in r20. If I remember correctly cards can be placed on the map for easy use later.
I don't always GM, but when i do, I go out in style :ugeek:

mattritchie

Postby mattritchie » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:10 am

Yeah, I've done some experimenting with that as well. There are some issues because the pools for a larger number of players (5-6) will tend to take up so much real estate that you can't also display a detailed tactical map without creating the need for a LOT of scrolling back and forth. But that IS another solution, as long as you are willing to forego playing on a tactical map (not a big deal in this system).

Kamelion

Postby Kamelion » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:29 am

Ok, interesting. Separating the hands with dividers sounds workable. I'll check it out. Thanks!
The name that can be named is not the true name.

Rabbitball

Postby Rabbitball » Tue May 02, 2017 8:34 pm

mattritchie wrote:But in TORG, part of the fun comes from rolling the dice and adding up the result. You could create a sheet and Javascript that emulate all of that and make it much quicker, but I think the game loses something when you do all that....

While I like the idea, there are actually several things to consider when doing a Javascript:
  • Roll die.
  • At each point, show the bonus number (or "fail" for a 1).
  • If skill is Favored, offer reroll.
  • If 10 or 20, apply extra dice
  • If Up, apply second die roll.
  • Apply Possibility and cards.
  • When finally done, submit for GM determination of effect.

I was part of a Roll20 session for Torg, and the hardest part for me was that the laptop I was on was too busy crunching graphics and video to do much of anything else.
Dominick Riesland, aka Rabbitball
Co-author, Aysle Sourcebook for Torg Eternity
Creator of the Cosmversal Grimoire
"Those who will not follow are doomed to lead"—Anarchist, Magic: the Gathering

JeffWalklin

Postby JeffWalklin » Tue May 02, 2017 11:00 pm

blackwind1kaze wrote:If a skilled gm did so, they could create card pools on the map for players in r20. If I remember correctly cards can be placed on the map for easy use later.

I'm not that skilled but in my Roll20 Torg games I just create a portion of the map (usually along the bottom) for players to lay down their card pools. Everyone has a section labelled with their name so we can keep it all straight.

Here is an example:

or https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwb_nDBGUNUUYzNpcGdHVVlMMGs/view?usp=sharing

It isn't all that hard to do.

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”