Psychological impact of the Possibility Wars

mistervimes

Re: Psychological impact of the Possibility Wars

Postby mistervimes » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:57 am

TorgHacker wrote:Which now that I think about it, is probably more what the Gaunt Man is...

Hmmm...are we sure the Gaunt Man is human? (I'm not trying to hint something here FYI).

If Orrorsh is an "infection" then the Gaunt Man is the disease vector. I think of him as a human that is in symbiosis with the Orrorsh disease.
"He was an unshaven collection of bad habits marinated in alcohol, morose, cynical and ridiculously soft-hearted. One of Nature's policemen; his soul burns to arrest the Creator for getting it wrong."" - (Terry Pratchett)

Savioronedge

Postby Savioronedge » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:56 pm

1 point of psychological impact we have ignored here:

"This is the place where Die Hard is a documentary."

The invaders are, well, invaders. They came here for a fight, either for or against the High Lords.

The people of Core Earrh are used to Heroes. Even before the Storm, they had real evidence that, "When the fan gets the crap, a hero arises." Therefore, the general public won't be falling into depression the way our people would. Most Ords will go on with their lives with the "minor" adjustments required.

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:03 pm

Savioronedge wrote:1 point of psychological impact we have ignored here:

The invaders are, well, invaders. They came here for a fight, either for or against the High Lords.

The people of Core Earrh are used to Heroes. Even before the Storm, they had real evidence that, "When the fan gets the crap, a hero arises." Therefore, the general public won't be falling into depression the way our people would. Most Ords will go on with their lives with the "minor" adjustments required.

Well, I made that point on page 1. ;)

But think about it this way: Core Earth has always had larger than life heroes. It's not the Earth we live in. It's the world where Die Hard is a documentary. I don't think this would be a big deal for them. I think before the war, they probably had heroes as celebrities and now they have some even more celebrities to look up to, to hate, and to gossip about. But I don't think ords are self-aware enough to get a complex over it. It's just how it is, and that really hasn't changed, even if Storm Knights are a new phenomenon, and I see them as not particularly ambitious.

Big thread, I know. Obviously I agree with you, great minds and all that.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:09 pm

Savioronedge wrote:1 point of psychological impact we have ignored here:

Law of Hope too. :-)
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Blackfang108

Postby Blackfang108 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:48 pm

mistervimes wrote:
TorgHacker wrote:Which now that I think about it, is probably more what the Gaunt Man is...

Hmmm...are we sure the Gaunt Man is human? (I'm not trying to hint something here FYI).

If Orrorsh is an "infection" then the Gaunt Man is the disease vector. I think of him as a human that is in symbiosis with the Orrorsh disease.

I really like that idea.

Wotan

Postby Wotan » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:57 pm

Gargoyle wrote:
TorgHacker wrote:
Gargoyle wrote:
Oh, I think some Nile villains probably do see themselves as "villains" and revel in it. :) And Orrorsh horrors...some of them too, though certainly not all. And maybe some demons. Mustache twirling badguys have their place.

Sure, but they'll make rationalizations about it. "I deserve this because I'm smart/rich/faithful/clever/famous/charismatic".

About the only one who I for sure can say thinks, "I'm evil and don't give a shit" is the Gaunt Man. :-)

P.S. I was talking about humans rather than incarnate evil like demons.

Which now that I think about it, is probably more what the Gaunt Man is...

Sort of reminds of the the meme with Stormtroopers talking about how they're not the villains. And then they say "Let's go back to the Deathst...errr...space ship" So yeah, they do rationalize. But sometimes I think it's pretty obvious and undeniable even to them, at least in that cosm. I mean when you call yourself Insidious and literally twirl your mustache...

Reminds me of one of my favourite* Mitchell & Webb sketches:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv2XGQBcvxQ

*After "BMX Bandit & Angel Summoner", which could be an unknowing parody of any roleplaying group which ever had an OP PC:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFuMpYTyRjw
Non-denominational "Devil's Advocate"

Savioronedge

Postby Savioronedge » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:41 pm

Gargoyle wrote:
Savioronedge wrote:

Well, I made that point on page 1. ;)

Big thread, I know...

I had read through the entire thread once, and skimmed it 3 times before I posted my comment.

Somebody spent a possibility hiding your post from me. ;)

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”