Anything you'd like to know more about in the Nile Empire

Kanaris

Re: Anything you'd like to know more about in the Nile Empire

Postby Kanaris » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:14 pm

hawaiianbrian wrote:The website Atlas Obscura has a lot of weird and interesting sites. You can search by name, or open up the map and see what is in a given area.

• Aswan Dam
• The ruins of Atlantis (not the zany, over-the-top version set in the Atlantic, but one destroyed when Thera blew up Santorini. Maybe it could be along the seafloor north of Crete just inside the Nile zone. Bonus points if there's a supervillain who has an underwater dome laboratory there and is conducting weird science experiments on dolphins)
• The lava lake at Mount Nyiragongo
• The White Desert (an area of the Sahara, not far from Abu Minqar from Act 2 of Fires of Ra)
• The geothermal hellscape of Dallol in Ethiopia
• Hespera ;)

Atlas Obscura is awesome, and I *love* the Atlantis idea. Especially if you throw in something to do with Poseidon.

Here Comes The Flood

Postby Here Comes The Flood » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:15 am

Zackzenobi wrote:I for one would love to hear more about Crete.

Also the Living Land White Zone got a LOT more space in its SB, than the Newly created Babylon did. I understand that it's our Sandbox, but could we get a little more info on what it is?

Yes please, I'll second this.

It's going to be the base for our players so I'd appreciate some further info.
“When the night shows, the signals grow on radios
All the strange things, they come and go, as early warnings…”

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:10 pm

Stats for the Robosphinx. I'd like my group of Storm Knights to be involved in taking it down.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Kamelion

Postby Kamelion » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:39 pm

Gargoyle wrote:Stats for the Robosphinx. I'd like my group of Storm Knights to be involved in taking it down.

Apparently they're in the Cracking Tales collection. Ungrosh too :)
The name that can be named is not the true name.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:39 pm

Kamelion wrote:
Gargoyle wrote:Stats for the Robosphinx. I'd like my group of Storm Knights to be involved in taking it down.

Yup.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:40 pm

TorgHacker wrote:
Kamelion wrote:

Yup.

Neato!
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Eightybrains

Postby Eightybrains » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:36 pm

I'd like to see more about Hespera and the Amazons, because it's a really unusual transformation compared to what we've seen so far. I don't think axiom washes changing gender/sex has come up before, and that's not even getting into everyone becoming a warrior and most of the villages relocating. We know a decent amount about the political situation, but I'm interested in the perspective of the Amazons themselves so I can use Hespera as a character homeland or adventure setting in my own game.
I’m just here ‘cause it’s my Special Interest

mathey

Postby mathey » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:30 pm

That Atlas Obscura link is a godsend!

I've been enjoying what I've read so far of the Nile SB preview and really appreciate the effort to keep the corny fun of pulp adventure while respecting the cultures and complexities of the region. Its a tricky road to take but its worth the care.

Of the places and things that might be fun to explore Nile-style:

Oklo Reactor. A natural nuclear reactor (!?) in Mounana, Gabon. I have no clue about the real science involved, but I can see Mobius having an avid interest in the weird science version.

Battle of Abu Klea Memorial, in Al Matammah, Sudan. Site of a battle between Victorian English soldiers (who had an early machine gun?) and a much larger force of Sudanese fighters who often had only spears to fight with. It lasted only 15 minutes but casualties were terrible, with around 1000 Sudanese killed. Its described as being real spooky in the Atlas Obscura article, and given its Victorian connection it could be interesting to make it haunted by some Orroshan-style horrors.

Dona Beatriz Kimpa Vita is a fascinating figure from the 17th-18th century who claimed to be a prophet who brought Kongolese tradition into the Catholicism brought to the region by Portuguese colonialists. This resulted in a revolt and her attempt to unite the tribes of the region under a single king. She was burned at the stake for heresy at the behest of Portuguese monks but her followers would continue their resistance after her death. Her legacy as an antislavery figure and religious leader could have lent some spiritual power to relics tied to her Antonianism movement.

The Queen of Sheba is a figure of some ambiguity in folklore and history - but given Torg (and esp. the NE's) preference for legend over fact, surely she's got some place in the cosm. Apparently in Ethiopian stories her son with Solomon went on to take possession of the Ark of the Covenant and brought it to Aksum, the presumptive seat of her realm. The ruins there are of course a good spot to have some demi-mystical hi-jinks, and they include quite a few stelae.

And, since we're all about cinematic references, some more deets on Casablanca as a refuge for the diaspora of the Possibility War(s) could be fun. I can definitely see a lot of cross-realm intrigue going down there, with agents from the Cyberpapacy, Pan-Pacifica, African Alliance, Delphi Council, and who knows what else getting into spy games. The romance of the place and its proximity to the Mediterranean make it an ideal place for a base of operations or crux of an adventure.

EDIT: Oh, btw, I kinda liked the Martian nonsense in oTorg's Terra. I included a visit from one as a bit of surprise twist at the end of an adventure I ran, but I can understand if you want to avoid bringing in intergalactic weirdness at this stage of the game.

Savioronedge

Postby Savioronedge » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:22 pm

It is outside of the Nile boundaries, but close enough that Malta could use a mention.

Zackzenobi

Postby Zackzenobi » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:52 am

Plans for Mobius' Flagship Zeppelin Aircraft Carrier.

Unless they have already been stolen by pesky Storm Knights! :)

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”