Aysle Backer Archetypes

TCArknight

Re: Aysle Backer Archetypes

Postby TCArknight » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:53 pm

Ok, now I’m gonna have to take a closer look. :)

Zackzenobi

Postby Zackzenobi » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:54 pm

Wakshani wrote:And they're all out. Huzzah!

Standouts were the Noble Scion, "James Bard", and the prepared Leader. The last one there is just *perfect*.

Overall, I love 'em! I hope that we get to see some insight from the individual creators as time goes by. I'm curious, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. :D

I'm going to assume you mean 'Standout' in a good way and thank very kindly for your kind words sir. I put a lot of effort into The Noble Scion. Out of curiosity, can you be more specific on what you liked in particular?

What kind of insight are you looking for? I would be happy to share.

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:11 pm

Bard. James Bard.

Cue guitar riff...omg.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Atama

Postby Atama » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:59 pm

Gargoyle wrote:Bard. James Bard.

Cue guitar riff...omg.

James Bard walks around with a flute playing this:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=DM205YCKXjg
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:43 am

Zackzenobi wrote:

Standouts were the Noble Scion, "James Bard", and the prepared Leader. The last one there is just *perfect*.

Overall, I love 'em! I hope that we get to see some insight from the individual creators as time goes by. I'm curious, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. :D

I'm going to assume you mean 'Standout' in a good way and thank very kindly for your kind words sir. I put a lot of effort into The Noble Scion. Out of curiosity, can you be more specific on what you liked in particular?

What kind of insight are you looking for? I would be happy to share.

Right off the bat, he's a (gorgeous!) black man in full-blown Paladin colors. That's *incredibly* rare and fills my heart full of joy, right off the top. You just look at him and *see* the nobility wafting off of him … that's a man Captain America would be proud to stand beside and combat evil with.

The axe, rather than a sword, is an interesting choice and I'd love to know why you went that way. It's a lovely weapon, but it also isn't The Expectation, so I'm curious why the move. It could be as simple as "Axes are cool". And I'm totally down for that. :D

There's a bit more, but my brother's calling so I gotta dash for a bit to talk to him. More when I'm back!

Daedra18

Postby Daedra18 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:40 am

The Dwarven Expatriate is supposed to be a Dwarf, right?

Zackzenobi

Postby Zackzenobi » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:47 am

Wakshani wrote:
Right off the bat, he's a (gorgeous!) black man in full-blown Paladin colors. That's *incredibly* rare and fills my heart full of joy, right off the top. You just look at him and *see* the nobility wafting off of him … that's a man Captain America would be proud to stand beside and combat evil with.

The axe, rather than a sword, is an interesting choice and I'd love to know why you went that way. It's a lovely weapon, but it also isn't The Expectation, so I'm curious why the move. It could be as simple as "Axes are cool". And I'm totally down for that. :D

There's a bit more, but my brother's calling so I gotta dash for a bit to talk to him. More when I'm back!

Thank you. I'm flattered you like the way he looks. Especially since I had a specific vision in mind which lead to many, many art references sent to the artist. Which was followed by many emails asking the artist Very Politely to please change yet another thing, as it was not quite right. Seriously I was on the lookout for drone strikes.

I am a white male but I grew up reading Chris Claremont's X-men so diversity in my fiction characters I'm creating has always seemed natural to me. I found some art references of models and athletes (names escape me right now) and i thought the artist did s good job on his face and hair.

I will admit i was feeling a lot of pressure living in a postmodern fantasy world to come up with something worth spending $500. I was remembering something one of the designers said in the early pitches. For Aysle it was described as GoT/D&D/Once upon a time. So the fairy tale angle hit me and I thought of a Noble Noble Scion who finds out he is half Fae. Shhh dont tell the Duke, he still doesn't know. So now I had to figure out what being half Fae could do for him. I thought of how Fae sometimes manipulated Luck or reality. So I asked Darrell, about drawing multiple cosn cards and picking one. He proposed the character is so tied to magic, he draws Aysle cards anywhere. Then to give him a little personality I imagined him as a cross between Ivanhoe,Jon Snow, and T'Challa. Hard to get that in a static image but I tried. Extra points to anyone who catches the quote reference. :D

The colors came to me when looking for art references online. I saw a similar knight on horseback with vibrant colors. The red and blue colors of Eternity shards was an added bonus.

As for the Axe, I wanted him to stand out from the crowd. Sure the Barbarian and Beserker Archetypes have Axes, but his looks very different. Knights with swords are so common. I always try to make my Archetypes not just for myself but for new players also. If I'm at a convention trying out the game for the first time, a knight w a magic axe might appeal to me. And as I thought about it more, the Axe is a more powerful bold weapon. And I think it fits his personality more. I also think it's more visually dynamic for action pose art pieces. Jumping from a roof with Axe in 2 hands to come down with tremendous force on some fell beast or crashing through doors, etc.

Sorry if I rambled a bit. But I put a lot of time into him. I'm really looking forward to publishing the Iconic version down the line!

Thanks again for your kind words.
Last edited by Zackzenobi on Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Impra

Postby Impra » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:19 am

She gets second-best art behind the Academic Warden tho. She's just *oozing* personality.

Thanks for the kind words concerning my original oTORG ex cheerleader ex countrystar ex NASA pilot ex Governeur Trixie LaBelle.

And being the "European DELPHI" connection with 3 realms threatening you have to be always be prepared.

And the plan she has developed is just as simple as brilliant. Dont aks what all those abbrevations and Arrows mean i personally have no clue.

Took some time with Darrell to get those pesky german things right but anyway :)

darrell

Postby darrell » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:27 am

Er, I've got to put this one carefully; does anyone else think that the centaur may have a little trouble galloping due to lack of support?

(It's an interesting choice from the art department in this era.)

Zackzenobi

Postby Zackzenobi » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:49 am

I did an image search on Centaur Skeletons and there does not appear to be any extra lumbar support....
Magical inherent ability?

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”