Cyberpapacy Beyond the Core Rules

utsukushi

Re: Cyberpapacy Beyond the Core Rules

Postby utsukushi » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:43 am

We've never even met. Though from what I've seen from Wakshani, that's probably disappointing.

I don't think I'm disappointed to be my own person, though. That has its advantages. For one thing, we can be in two different places at the same time. In fact - as previously established - so far, we have always been in two different places at the same time. How's that for taking our magic act to the next level? Booyah!

Um.. right.

So, in the vein of Jim's awesome post responding to, "What I would like to put in your heads for the future of the CyberPapacy"...

First, the things I love most about the new CP, both to start on an unambiguously positive note and because those are, then, the things I'd like to see more of:
1) I love the Gamification of Faith. I'm eager to see what the "tangible rewards" turn out to be - I'm hoping for things that will actually make even PCs consider crossing the line on some of those darker "Unlockable" Achievements, but in a lot of ways, this is just a cool idea from the ground up, even if it stays mostly a background detail. But I'd like to see it come out of the background at least a little, and it sounds like that's in the works.
Main point on this? That was the thing in TorgE that absolutely just lit my brain up with possibilities. (<-- Yep. There it is.)

2) The GodNet sounds awesome. In oTorg, the name fit, because it certainly had a spiritual element to it. In TorgE, it really fits, because it really is, conceptually, a combination of a VR network, and... God. GodNet is omniscient and omnipresent. That's swearing-level AWESOME. In some ways that may even go too far; I'd like more ideas on how the PCs can actually work around that without getting caught, but also to see more on how to use that in a game, both for and against the Storm Knights. (the Reliquaries are a cool concept there - that cuts both ways - but they're just a start.)
...I think I would like to see signs that GodNet is not entirely under even Ebenscrux's control. The way it's reaching out to other Realms might be a good place for that. GodNet as a kind of "rogue AI" that might actually rebel against Malreaux (perhaps believing that it is God, and, as it assimilates more cultural understandings, recognizes that Malreaux is not Good... or making a play for High Lord itself - either sounds cool). But you probably already have your own plotline in place, so that's just brainstorming. Still, at least some frayed edges where the GodNet is more `free' sound like an excellent playground.

To take a slightly different angle on what Jim said -- the way that GodNet is sort of a blend of tool, location, and entity; that's amazing. I want more of that.

3) I love Malreaux as "the good guy" High Lord - the one people asked to stay. He's not "secret" the same way Kanawa is, but he's done a much *better* job of fooling Core Earth, and that's... I think I'm using the word "awesome" too much, but it's such an apt word. Um, really cool. That's really cool. I could absolutely see a lot of South America, fearing an invasion, sending ambassadors to beg him to drop a Bridge in their country. He brings not only protection, but health, prosperity... I can see why his immediate neighbors, like Germany, don't trust him, and the Vatican, of course, has a vested interest in denouncing him -- but to people a little further removed, and especially Catholic countries, he could look like a real shining savior. I hope that the uncertainty about whether he's a bad guy or not draws out for a long time.

More generally...

I know it was sort of mine, but I really do like the idea of faith-powered equipment, and I would love to see that used - especially in Cyberware, but not only. A Faith-powered weapon, for example (whether it's available just as Gear, or through a Perk) could help balance the limited number of Miracles -- you wouldn't have to take a "Smite" or other `attack miracle' for your Faith-based character if you have a weapon or implant that lets you use Faith totals to attack. Alternately, the idea of having Faith-based tech that can operate under high Spirit Axioms even if they don't support the Tech Axiom would be interesting.

Obviously, more cyber and more tech just in general, but that IS CP's top Axiom, so that's probably a given. Tech that interacts with magic, especially under the Heretical Magic Law, would be cool, and as I noted in that thread, could be CP's answer to giving spellcasters a few more options.

Even with the NeuralJack established, I still *DO* think that GodNet has an opportunity no equivalent "matrix" has had for allowing the whole party to tag along. Ooh, I've got it!! "Communion Cables!" Have friends who haven't taken the plunge? Want to show them the Glory of GodNet? Link together and bring them along! That "solo adventure" issue has been a problem for so long -- I really, really think we can beat it, without having to toss it all out and abstract every GodNet interaction into a simple roll that doesn't allow any actual immersion in the concept.

...That's what comes to MY mind immediately. I'm sure there's more. <grin>

And, in light of your reply to Jim, I'll emphasize that I know this is a long way off. But since you... kind of came close to asking... *ahem*

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:29 am

As for the Cyberpapacy, here's a keyword that you should all remember:

Missionaires.

No need to have them be decked out in cybernetics, toting laser pistols, cackling as they detail how you fools will all burn in Hellfire if you don't accept salvation... nope! Just the nicest, most ordinary people that you'll ever meet, armed with the Malraux Bible, a cross, and a handful of miracles that work in Core Earth and a charming smile. Just start spreading around the globe, talking about the evils of the other invaders and their "Heathen gods", how "we" need to fight back, and how to get God on your side, just like THEY have .... as they heal the sick, feed the hungry, and tend to the wounded.

Stick 'em in cities that are sheltering refugees that have fled the Living Land, put them in Russia, opposing Tharkold, in Africa, in opposition to the Nile gods, kust anywhere and everywhere that people are desperate, hungry, and looking for hope. They don't even have to be spies or saboteurs ... they just have to hold open a door and invite you in. Pere John will look after you.

You're all his children, after all.

Red_Ninja

Postby Red_Ninja » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:14 am

Wakshani wrote:Hey Red Ninja, if you haven't seen my homebrew thread, with the Circle of the Red Rose and their two spinoffs in Aysle, you probably should. :D

I did see your post in the other thread. I do like the concept and probably will add to them to my campaign.
I am not afraid of the storm that comes my way.
When it hits, it shakes me to the core
and makes me stronger than before.
-- "Courtesy Call", Thousand Foot Krutch

Red_Ninja

Postby Red_Ninja » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:34 am

Wakshani wrote:As for the Cyberpapacy, here's a keyword that you should all remember:

Missionaires.

No need to have them be decked out in cybernetics, toting laser pistols, cackling as they detail how you fools will all burn in Hellfire if you don't accept salvation... nope! Just the nicest, most ordinary people that you'll ever meet, armed with the Malraux Bible, a cross, and a handful of miracles that work in Core Earth and a charming smile. Just start spreading around the globe, talking about the evils of the other invaders and their "Heathen gods", how "we" need to fight back, and how to get God on your side, just like THEY have .... as they heal the sick, feed the hungry, and tend to the wounded.

I would also like to point out that the Cyberpapacy is from a reality that France conquered the world. It is possible that some useful element of other religions, countries, and organizations were absorped into the hierarchy. A converted order of Persian cybernetic assassins, an eastern monastery that uses Jaz and cyberpapal miracles to simulate Ki abilties, or a futurist society promoting the coming of a technological Singularity could be ways Cyberpapal agents could appear in locations you would not expect them.

Red_Ninja

Postby Red_Ninja » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:51 am

utsukushi wrote:3) I love Malreaux as "the good guy" High Lord - the one people asked to stay. He's not "secret" the same way Kanawa is, but he's done a much *better* job of fooling Core Earth, and that's... I think I'm using the word "awesome" too much, but it's such an apt word. Um, really cool. That's really cool. I could absolutely see a lot of South America, fearing an invasion, sending ambassadors to beg him to drop a Bridge in their country. He brings not only protection, but health, prosperity... I can see why his immediate neighbors, like Germany, don't trust him, and the Vatican, of course, has a vested interest in denouncing him -- but to people a little further removed, and especially Catholic countries, he could look like a real shining savior. I hope that the uncertainty about whether he's a bad guy or not draws out for a long time.

Good point. Many of the creatures and reality changing activity in Cyberpapacy cosm could be easily be publicly blamed on Tharkhold or Aysle.

carldot34

Postby carldot34 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:19 am

It's hard to deny the appeal of someone who can say 'follow me and I will cure your child of cancer' and can immediately deliver on that promise.

carldot34

Postby carldot34 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:26 am

In fact, from the convert's point of view, La Resistance are the people fighting to make sure disease and injury still remain to blight peoples' lives.

"Been in a car accident? You're better off living out your life in a wheel chair rather than having cybernetic legs because they're evil. Eeeeviiill, I tell you!" "No replacement heart for you because I'm going to blow up the clinic that can fix your heart disease."

Yeah, I can see how that is going to sell with the old and those suffering every day. Malreaux doesn't need to fight, the ordinary people will do it for him.

Do you know, I'm beginning to think that the Cyberpapacy might be the most insidious of all without actually being secretive. Would you give up your personal privacy to the Godnet to save a loved one from a painful and pointless death? What would you not give up to do that?

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:00 am

carldot34 wrote:In fact, from the convert's point of view, La Resistance are the people fighting to make sure disease and injury still remain to blight peoples' lives.

"Been in a car accident? You're better off living out your life in a wheel chair rather than having cybernetic legs because they're evil. Eeeeviiill, I tell you!" "No replacement heart for you because I'm going to blow up the clinic that can fix your heart disease."

Yeah, I can see how that is going to sell with the old and those suffering every day. Malreaux doesn't need to fight, the ordinary people will do it for him.

Do you know, I'm beginning to think that the Cyberpapacy might be the most insidious of all without actually being secretive. Would you give up your personal privacy to the Godnet to save a loved one from a painful and pointless death? What would you not give up to do that?

Yep, it's compelling for those people. Even if they are suspicious or downright knowledgeable about the dark side of the Cyberpapacy, I can imagine them ignoring that for the "greater good".

To the rest of the world though, without the personal connection, it's a nightmare regime...a high tech Theocracy. The Cyberpapacy may not a big army but Core Earth military success historically depends on high tech, and the rest of the world is terrified of them, as well as their style of theocratic law...public trials are not helping their image abroad, and may be the main thing stoking the fires of resistance at home. After all, if your child was executed by the state for being accused of heresy, you'd take it pretty personally too, even if they cured your other child's cancer...and when you figure out that the cyberware they put it him monitors his every action and helped him turn in his own brother...well...sounds like the making of a Storm Knight.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Mr.Renfield

Postby Mr.Renfield » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:45 am

Stormchild wrote:Btw, in the reality of the fantasy MMORPG, I was killed and respawned at the goblins' respawn point. That sucked.

nope, you never died. only reverted to idle/group-follow-mode while your internetconnection was down.

and if you want to know what sucks, ask the rest of the party: while we were outside talking about your cyberpunk-CEO-character, the other GM had them wake up in a camp amidst plundering and scorching orcs while their "nightguard" is doing nothing with the dagger in his hand except waving gently back and forth besides the campfire.

unless you are talking of another gamesession of course...

and sorry about the offtopic-corrections to everyone else around here.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:31 pm

carldot34 wrote:It's hard to deny the appeal of someone who can say 'follow me and I will cure your child of cancer' and can immediately deliver on that promise.

Word.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”