Favorite Old Torg Adventure (for conversion experiment)

fougerec

Favorite Old Torg Adventure (for conversion experiment)

Postby fougerec » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:28 pm

When I start running I'll be running for people who are brand new to Torg (in any form). So I think I may blow the dust off an old adventure and see how conversion goes.

So, what are people's personal favorites? I am tempted to go really old school and start them with The Destiny Map (basically it's the one I can find on my gaming shelf easily) but I am very curious.

MAJT

Re: Favorite Old Torg Adventure (for conversion experiment)

Postby MAJT » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:45 pm

I like the original trilogy too; it's familiar to most players. I preferred the adventures before everything had to be about Tharkold... :(

That said, the one where we killed Thratchen was good too.

Jim

Postby Jim » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:56 pm

Fougerec,

I had a similar idea. I discussed it briefly with Dean and he offered a few pieces of advice. I'm copying and pasting it here. If you guys like, maybe we can create a Destiny Map conversion thread and work on stat blocks and encounters together?

TorgHacker wrote:Off the top of my head, Relics of Power still works. There will be some things to watch out for.

The 4th act of the Destiny Map takes place in India (ie Orrorsh). You might want to move it elsewhere.

The Possibility Chalice looks good as is at first glance.

The 4th act of the Forever City you might want to change to the Indian side of the Himalayas (i.e. Orrorsh). You'll want to tweak the Possibility Chalice according to the new Eternity Shard rules.

There is one other thing about the Forever City but it involves a secret I don't want to spoil. The secret is on page 234 of the core book.

Zackzenobi

Postby Zackzenobi » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:21 pm

Jim wrote:Fougerec,

I had a similar idea. I discussed it briefly with Dean and he offered a few pieces of advice. I'm copying and pasting it here. If you guys like, maybe we can create a Destiny Map conversion thread and work on stat blocks and encounters together?

TorgHacker wrote:Off the top of my head, Relics of Power still works. There will be some things to watch out for.

The 4th act of the Destiny Map takes place in India (ie Orrorsh). You might want to move it elsewhere.

The Possibility Chalice looks good as is at first glance.

The 4th act of the Forever City you might want to change to the Indian side of the Himalayas (i.e. Orrorsh). You'll want to tweak the Possibility Chalice according to the new Eternity Shard rules.

There is one other thing about the Forever City but it involves a secret I don't want to spoil. The secret is on page 234 of the core book.

Looks like Pg 234 in the Torg Eternity Core Book is the Tech Axiom chart. I don't see any secrets there?

Staffan

Postby Staffan » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:50 pm

Zackzenobi wrote:Looks like Pg 234 in the Torg Eternity Core Book is the Tech Axiom chart. I don't see any secrets there?

I think he means 238.

► Show Spoiler

Rabbitball

Postby Rabbitball » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:58 pm

I think it was 234 in the pre-edited Beta file.

But that's the important takeaway. I would effectively switch the locations of the final act of Destiny Map and Forever City. This requires a bit of fudging on the translation of the tiles:

► Show Spoiler
Dominick Riesland, aka Rabbitball
Co-author, Aysle Sourcebook for Torg Eternity
Creator of the Cosmversal Grimoire
"Those who will not follow are doomed to lead"—Anarchist, Magic: the Gathering

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:36 pm

Staffan wrote:
Zackzenobi wrote:Looks like Pg 234 in the Torg Eternity Core Book is the Tech Axiom chart. I don't see any secrets there?

I think he means 238.

► Show Spoiler

I was referring to the wrong PDF. Mine didn't have a cover. :-)
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

fougerec

Postby fougerec » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:02 am

Jim wrote:Fougerec,

Cool. Right now I'm re-reading The Destiny Map since it's been something like 27 years since I ran it...

I think the easiest thing to do is to convert the concepts and story rather than try to do a straight up conversion.

utsukushi

Postby utsukushi » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:12 am

MATJ wrote:That said, the one where we killed Thratchen was good too.

You make it sound like a Friends episode. "The One Where They Killed Thratchen." I would watch that over and over.

Running through that adventure knowing that there's no one left to signal would be... poignant. I'm worried that some players might take it hard, like, on an OOC level - as the thread on XP for late-joining players shows, our rewards are important to us, and that might feel like all that effort was for nothing.

...Or it might be awesome `pathos' and really engage your players in just how evil the Gaunt Man is.

MAJT

Postby MAJT » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:02 am

utsukushi wrote:You make it sound like a Friends episode. "The One Where They Killed Thratchen." I would watch that over and over.

Thanks for reminding me that not everything about the 90's was great!

'Friends' was twee and trite at the time, and now it's dated as well...

I vaguely recall they were among a few TV characters I wanted to make an in-game appearance just to get their faces chewed off by a ravagon or something...

utsukushi wrote:Running through that adventure knowing that there's no one left to signal would be... poignant. I'm worried that some players might take it hard, like, on an OOC level - as the thread on XP for late-joining players shows, our rewards are important to us, and that might feel like all that effort was for nothing.

That's probably my one major grievance with this edition. Starting characters used to be larger than life, and now they feel very average. 'Before the Dawn' and the Possibility Chalice really made you feel like heroes, like you were affecting things right from the start. This was before the Infiniverse kicked in and your characters felt special, rather than one of thousands of disposable heroes in an MMO. And now it's 'Day One' adventures and the like.

:( Ugh, nostalgia makes me old and cranky!

But this is, at least in part, a nostalgia buzz for me, so I want to do it as a sequel where the old heroes sit around doing mentor stuff, talking about killing the Gaunt Man and Baruk Kaah, and generally thinking the new guys have it easy... while the torch is passed to a new generation who have grown up in a post War's End world and they see a pre-Possibility Wars world the way we Gen-Xers see the pre-WW2 era...

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”