Favorite Old Torg Adventure (for conversion experiment)

JohnK

Re: Favorite Old Torg Adventure (for conversion experiment)

Postby JohnK » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:32 pm

Hullo, fougerec,

fougerec wrote:
JohnK wrote:I've been creating some player character Storm Knights to get a better feel for the game the last few days or so, so haven't looked at "The Destiny Map" characters and villains all that closely yet. Comparing the Ninja stats from the adventure to these, I would say that in my (humble) experience, these stats are pretty good. How many Possibilities would you give Osata in this case?

I basically just took the Kanawa Security Trooper and dropped a point here, added a point there until it felt ninja-like. For Osato I'd give him 3 possibilities. The days of having NPCs that needed like 10 or 14 or more Possibilities to be able to hold their own are gone I think.

So you didn't actually try to do up the ninjas based on the old TORG stats from the scenario itself, converted over to Torg: Eternity? Shame that, as I would have liked to have seen that.

Sounds about right for Osato, though maybe 5 or 6 Possibilities when he faces the Storm Knights. But as you say, I suspect the days of 10 to 14 Possibilities for some of the lower tier Stormers is definitely gone. The question is how do they compensate for the Perks and stuff that player Storm Knights receive?
=====
"They're High Lords, for God's sake! You can't just walk up to one and say, "How you doing? Feel like dying now?" you know!" - Abraham Horowitz, priest

JohnK
e-mail: johnk100@sympatico.ca
blog: http://jkahane.livejournal.com

JohnK

Postby JohnK » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:35 pm

fougerec wrote:
JohnK wrote:
That feel of Orrorsh that you mention is a concern of mine as well. I've got 11 players in my three groups, and only three of the players have experience with original TORG. Like you said, nothing too nasty - since we don't want to kill or maim the player characters too much here! - but something that would give them a challenge. Since I don't have the Orrorsh Sourcebook, any thoughts on what to throw at them?

I'm thinking of something along the lines of the following.

The PCs pass by a small village that's been completely stripped of life. A Find roll shows them some skeletons (pets, livestock and human) that are completely stripped of flesh.
    A little later on they pass by another steamer just drifting. Investigation shows the same sort of stripped to the bone skeletons.
    That night - Daemon Bat swarm.
    Daemon Bats (3 per character)
    DEXTERITY 9 STRENGTH 5 MIND 5 CHA 5 SPI 5
    Dodge 11, Unarmed Combat 11, Stealth 10, Find 6, Tracking 6, Intimidation 8
    Move 9, Tough 5, Shock 5, Wounds 1
    Attacks: Fangs/Claws (+2/7)
    Perks: None
    Possibilities: None
    Special Abilities: Swarm, Flight, Fear,

The next day they arrive at the docks at Tezpur.

That actually sounds really good to me, in terms of the two encounters (well, technically three). And I like the Daemon Bats, to be honest. :)

Might also need a Variable write-up here, in the event the characters decide to go into the small village or onto the drifting steamer (or perhaps both). Player characters sometimes tend to be too curious for their own good. :)
=====
"They're High Lords, for God's sake! You can't just walk up to one and say, "How you doing? Feel like dying now?" you know!" - Abraham Horowitz, priest

JohnK

fougerec

Postby fougerec » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:39 pm

JohnK wrote:So you didn't actually try to do up the ninjas based on the old TORG stats from the scenario itself, converted over to Torg: Eternity? Shame that, as I would have liked to have seen that.

Sounds about right for Osato, though maybe 5 or 6 Possibilities when he faces the Storm Knights. But as you say, I suspect the days of 10 to 14 Possibilities for some of the lower tier Stormers is definitely gone. The question is how do they compensate for the Perks and stuff that player Storm Knights receive?

I may yet do up stats on my own, just to get a feel for it. Though there's no sense in rebuilding something that's already there and just needs some tweaking.

I give enemy Stormers perks as well. Same as the core book does (actually I think some non-stormers have perks as well). In terms of possibilities Ravagons only have about 3 and dragons have 5. So I don't think more than that in a fairly disposable mini-boss is necessary.

fougerec

Postby fougerec » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:44 pm

JohnK wrote:That actually sounds really good to me, in terms of the two encounters (well, technically three). And I like the Daemon Bats, to be honest. :)

Might also need a Variable write-up here, in the event the characters decide to go into the small village or onto the drifting steamer (or perhaps both). Player characters sometimes tend to be too curious for their own good. :)

If I was just running it for my table I'd just roll with what the PCs decided to do. I'm not much of a by the book GM. I have notes and outlines but largely just try a "yes but..." approach to things. That being said, I may put together a sample Dramatic Skill Resolution for use in either case. Can the PCs find out what's going on before the bats migration brings them back?

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:04 pm

JohnK wrote:That feel of Orrorsh that you mention is a concern of mine as well. I've got 11 players in my three groups, and only three of the players have experience with original TORG. Like you said, nothing too nasty - since we don't want to kill or maim the player characters too much here! - but something that would give them a challenge. Since I don't have the Orrorsh Sourcebook, any thoughts on what to throw at them?

Just play up the fact that Orrorsh is based on fear. You can invoke a lot of fear without actually revealing anything. The Storm Knights might not even encounter the monsters as they journey. Go for the atmosphere. Any of these could be done without having a nasty monster threaten to kill the PCs.

Something in the river floats by. It is a human arm. In the hand is a silver cross.

The Storm Knights stop at a village to sleep. The inn patrons are creepy, but sleep comes easily to the Storm Knights anyway. As the sun rises and the person on watch looks in a different direction (there's always a watch), the villagers vanish, leaving just an empty village. A mass grave is discovered 200 feet away.

The Storm Knights stop at a town where an execution is taking place. The defendant is a child who murdered his parents and siblings. If the Storm Knights are worried about an innocent life being taken, they witness the child twist into a demonic creature who is then stabbed with a silver blade soaked in the tears of nuns.

Someone's food is filled with blood and hair.

When approaching a fork, a voice whispers to the pilot to travel down the other river. It's disconcerting and ominous. If the Storm Knight does heed it and go down the other branch, nothing seems to happen except that the voice chuckles and gives its approval. When they turn around, they encounter an entire village slaughtered just minutes before they get there. The pilot makes a Corruption test.

The river is criss-crossed with thousands of webs. They scream when the strands are cut or burned, but there is no sign of their makers. When people are all looking in one direction and then look back onto their boat, they find dozens of webs right behind them.

A will-o-wisp beckons the Storm Knights to disembark onto land. It leads them to a clearing with an open grave and a shovel. The smell of death comes from the grave, and claw marks indicate something climbed out. Footprints lead to the river and are swallowed up.

A body floating in the night air dances and cavorts in front of the Storm Knights. Closer examination reveals it simply to be a man hanging from a branch over the tree. Someone tied string to his feet and dangled the ends in the river where the fish have been tugging at the meat tied to them.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

JohnK

Postby JohnK » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:17 pm

Hullo, fougerec,

fougerec wrote:
JohnK wrote:So you didn't actually try to do up the ninjas based on the old TORG stats from the scenario itself, converted over to Torg: Eternity? Shame that, as I would have liked to have seen that.

I may yet do up stats on my own, just to get a feel for it. Though there's no sense in rebuilding something that's already there and just needs some tweaking.

That's pretty much my feeling in terms of re-creating some of the encounters of old TORG game materials. Tweaking is pretty much the right way to do it, just incorporating the new rules materials pertaining to Perks and the like. The trick for me will be judging how many Possibilities some of the Stormers in such cases would receive.

fougerec wrote:I give enemy Stormers perks as well. Same as the core book does (actually I think some non-stormers have perks as well). In terms of possibilities Ravagons only have about 3 and dragons have 5. So I don't think more than that in a fairly disposable mini-boss is necessary.

Hmm, when you put it that way... Yeah, I think you're right in this regard. I'm personally looking forward to seeing more characters in the Day 1 adventures and some of the other short stuff that we've got coming our way sooner rather than later, but for now we all just have to wing it.
=====

JohnK

JohnK

Postby JohnK » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:22 pm

Hullo, fougerec,

fougerec wrote:
JohnK wrote:That actually sounds really good to me, in terms of the two encounters (well, technically three). And I like the Daemon Bats, to be honest. :)

If I was just running it for my table I'd just roll with what the PCs decided to do. I'm not much of a by the book GM. I have notes and outlines but largely just try a "yes but..." approach to things. That being said, I may put together a sample Dramatic Skill Resolution for use in either case. Can the PCs find out what's going on before the bats migration brings them back?

I don't tend these days to write up full adventures, instead preferring the notes and outline format that you seem to favour. Sometimes I'll take notes on what the players did, so as to perhaps add an option or three that I hadn't thought of. Convention scenarios are different, since you need a clearer plot in your head.

Having a Dramatic Skill Resolution set up in case is a good idea, especially in this situation.

The weird thing for me is that I'm having to start thinking of how to write up and run TORG scenarios again for a game that I've not looked at or ran since the middle of the '90s. Just...weird, but in a good way. :)
=====

JohnK

JohnK

Postby JohnK » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:29 pm

Hullo, Kuildeous,

Kuildeous wrote:
JohnK wrote:That feel of Orrorsh that you mention is a concern of mine as well. I've got 11 players in my three groups, and only three of the players have experience with original TORG. Like you said, nothing too nasty - since we don't want to kill or maim the player characters too much here! - but something that would give them a challenge. Since I don't have the Orrorsh Sourcebook, any thoughts on what to throw at them?

Just play up the fact that Orrorsh is based on fear. You can invoke a lot of fear without actually revealing anything. The Storm Knights might not even encounter the monsters as they journey. Go for the atmosphere. Any of these could be done without having a nasty monster threaten to kill the PCs.

That's what I've come to realise after thinking about this overnight. The key is the element of fear and the terror of the unknown, and so not necessarily encountering anything during their trip across Orrorsh may be a good thing. Atmosphere, as you point out, is the central factor for this part of the adventure, but it will give the players and their characters a taste of Orrorsh.

Kuildeous wrote:Something in the river floats by. It is a human arm. In the hand is a silver cross.

The Storm Knights stop at a village to sleep. The inn patrons are creepy, but sleep comes easily to the Storm Knights anyway. As the sun rises and the person on watch looks in a different direction (there's always a watch), the villagers vanish, leaving just an empty village. A mass grave is discovered 200 feet away.

Like these two, but particularly the second one. There's something about creeping out my players that always appeals to me. :)

The rest of these are also appealing, but seem to border more on something else. I don't want to distract new players to the game from the mission at hand, "The Destiny Map" itself, and it's too early in the campaign for dealing with an Orrorshan creature of some kind that could potentially harm the characters beyond all possibility of not continuing on with the job at hand through injury or worse, death.
=====

JohnK

Kamelion

Postby Kamelion » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:30 pm

JohnK wrote:The weird thing for me is that I'm having to start thinking of how to write up and run TORG scenarios again for a game that I've not looked at or ran since the middle of the '90s. Just...weird, but in a good way. :)

Yup - this is me too :). I'm a dozen sessions into an oTorg campaign and am still rediscovering how to GM it properly. Hopefully not wasted effort for when my Eternity game starts!
The name that can be named is not the true name.

Kanaris

Postby Kanaris » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:51 am

JohnK wrote:Just play up the fact that Orrorsh is based on fear. You can invoke a lot of fear without actually revealing anything. The Storm Knights might not even encounter the monsters as they journey. Go for the atmosphere. Any of these could be done without having a nasty monster threaten to kill the PCs.

That's what I've come to realise after thinking about this overnight. The key is the element of fear and the terror of the unknown, and so not necessarily encountering anything during their trip across Orrorsh may be a good thing. Atmosphere, as you point out, is the central factor for this part of the adventure, but it will give the players and their characters a taste of Orrorsh.

Kuildeous wrote:Something in the river floats by. It is a human arm. In the hand is a silver cross.

Like these two, but particularly the second one. There's something about creeping out my players that always appeals to me. :) [/quote]

I'm with you 100%. And both of Kuildeous' ideas are fantastic - really great for setting dread as a mood - and only inflicting the payoff at the end with the Mantooth confrontation (after laying the appropriate groundwork as suggested in the "Eyes of the Vampire" parts of the adventures, though experienced players will probably need those to be both a little more subtle and strange to avoid guessing the true nature of their adversary).

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”